Gambatte 0.5.0-wip2 released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I'd like to see SGB borders. :)
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
DataPath
Lurker

Post by DataPath »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
DataPath wrote:GB and GBC games have worked fine for me thus far.
I wasn't aware that this emulator handled GBA at all? From what I gathered it only should support GB/GBC games...
Ah - well, that explains it, then. My mistake.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

Thristian wrote:gambatte_qt/src/src.pro seems to assume that OS X will use the "macx" portion of the file and ignore the "unix" portion, but that doesn't seem to be the case in practice
Thanks. I've updated src.pro (SVN) to make it more likely to compile on OS X. Even if it compiles, I wouldn't expect it to run flawlessly at this point though.
DataPath wrote:gambatte_sdl compiles, and theoretically runs on, the Nokia N800 internet tablet.
Cool. Not sure why the filters in specific wouldn't work (besides being too slow).
Nach wrote:I'm using r102, been getting this, wondering if it's normal:

Code: Select all

RESETTING COUNTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
RESETTING COUNTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
They're just debug messages about counter wrap around that I didn't bother to remove.
Nach wrote:Would it be possible to disable screensaver while it's running? I was playing Yoshi, and was up to level 25 or so, when the screen saver came on, and I lost :sad: No way to rewind either :sad:
Aww, that sucks :sad:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:Seconded. I wish all programs made that option available...
I wish all operating systems would realize that while someone's using the gamepad may not be the best time to put up the screen saver. Disabling the screen saver would probably require some platform-specific code. Preferably, it'd have to detect minimization too.
Agozer wrote:I'd like to see SGB borders. :)
Unlikely to happen. There are some comments on this earlier in the thread.
Last edited by sinamas on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

sinamas wrote: I wish all operating systems would realize that while someone's using the gamepad may not be the best time to put up the screen saver. Disabling the screen saver would probably require some platform-specific code..
That's actually a really good point. Well met, sir!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
sinamas wrote: I wish all operating systems would realize that while someone's using the gamepad may not be the best time to put up the screen saver. Disabling the screen saver would probably require some platform-specific code..
That's actually a really good point. Well met, sir!
Someone usually forgets about the details.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

sinamas wrote:
Thristian wrote:gambatte_qt/src/src.pro seems to assume that OS X will use the "macx" portion of the file and ignore the "unix" portion, but that doesn't seem to be the case in practice
Thanks. I've updated src.pro (SVN) to make it more likely to compile on OS X. Even if it compiles, I wouldn't expect it to run flawlessly at this point though.
Well, I'll grant it's a bit glitchy, but it works :)

I had to apply the following changes to src.pro in SVN:

Code: Select all

--- a/gambatte_qt/src/src.pro
+++ b/gambatte_qt/src/src.pro
@@ -57,10 +57,12 @@ INCLUDEPATH += ../../libgambatte/include SDL_Joystick/include
 LIBS += -L../../libgambatte -lgambatte -lz

macx {
-    SOURCES += addaudioengines.cpp addblitterwidgets.cpp getfullrestoggler.cpp audioengines/aoengine.cpp
+    SOURCES += addaudioengines.cpp addblitterwidgets.cpp getfullrestoggler.cpp audioengines/aoengine.cpp blitterwidget.cpp
     SOURCES += SDL_Joystick/src/darwin/SDL_sysjoystick.c
     HEADERS += audioengines/aoengine.h
-    LIBS += -lao
+    CONFIG += link_pkgconfig
+    PKGCONFIG += ao
+    LIBS += -framework IOKit
 } else : unix {
     DEFINES += PLATFORM_UNIX
Actually, it turns out that sound does work (if a bit crackle-y) if you set it to libao/44100KHz *before* you load a ROM (the default is libao/48000KHz, which is sad because libao only supports 44100KHz on OS X). OpenGL blitting works too.

Full screen does *not* work; it just hides the menu-bar and moves the window to the top-left of the screen - it doesn't resize the window or hide other applications or anything. This might have something to do with the fact that the 'Fullscreen resolution' drop-downs are empty.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

Thristian wrote:blitterwidget.cpp
I forgot about that one, sorry.
Thristian wrote:LIBS += -framework IOKit
Must be for the joystick code.
Thristian wrote:Full screen does *not* work; it just hides the menu-bar and moves the window to the top-left of the screen - it doesn't resize the window or hide other applications or anything. This might have something to do with the fact that the 'Fullscreen resolution' drop-downs are empty.
Sounds like a Qt bug/inconsistency. By any chance does first setting "Windowed resolution" to "Variable" make a difference?
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

sinamas wrote:
Thristian wrote:LIBS += -framework IOKit
Must be for the joystick code.
That's my guess! I should test it really, I suppose. Yes, it seems to work just fine. The text-fields in the input-settings dialog don't highlight to tell you which button you're about to set, but I can live with that.
sinamas wrote:
Thristian wrote:Full screen does *not* work; it just hides the menu-bar and moves the window to the top-left of the screen - it doesn't resize the window or hide other applications or anything. This might have something to do with the fact that the 'Fullscreen resolution' drop-downs are empty.
Sounds like a Qt bug/inconsistency. By any chance does first setting "Windowed resolution" to "Variable" make a difference?
Now that you mention it, yes it does. If I set it to "Variable" then restart Gambatte, I can resize the window and Fullscreen mode really does take up the full screen. However, in software-scaling mode, it takes too much CPU to scale to my desktop size, and in OpenGL mode, the portions of the window that aren't actively repainted every frame are covered in whatever crap happened to be lying around in video-RAM.

If I could figure out how to get qmake to build a statically-linked library, I could show off to all my Mac-using, terminal-hating friends, but I haven't, so I can't. :(

All in all, it works pretty well for code that's never been officially ported to the Mac. Whatever you're doing to keep your code portable is obviously working. :)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Thristian wrote: All in all, it works pretty well for code that's never been officially ported to the Mac. Whatever you're doing to keep your code portable is obviously working. :)
Qt is good that way :)
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

sinamas wrote: Sounds like a Qt bug/inconsistency. By any chance does first setting "Windowed resolution" to "Variable" make a difference?
This actually fixed my previous problem as well! When set to "variable" I am now able to full screen Gambatte.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

FWIW fixed window size issues with various X11 window managers (metacity, xfwm4...) and probably Mac OS X are fixed in SVN. The OpenGL clearing issue is probably fixed too.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

sinamas wrote:FWIW fixed window size issues with various X11 window managers (metacity, xfwm4...) and probably Mac OS X are fixed in SVN. The OpenGL clearing issue is probably fixed too.
On OS X, full-screen mode now works properly even when Video output is set to a fixed window size.

Unfortunately, if you go into full-screen mode with "Keep Aspect Ratio" enabled, you still tend to get crap around the edges.

Also, audio output seems to have suddenly gone pear-shaped on my machine. I'll see if I can figure out why.

EDIT: nup, seems to be working fine now. False alarm, sorry!
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

It would be nice to have a portable (static Qt4) i686 Linux build for use with live Linux distros.Just load the live CD,unpack and run :)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

kick wrote:It would be nice to have a portable (static Qt4) i686 Linux build for use with live Linux distros.Just load the live CD,unpack and run :)
If Knoppix doesn't have Qt 4 libs on it, the next one probably will.

Static Qt4 at 4.2+ for some reason doesn't work in Linux, I've compiled it, but any application linked to it would crash on load. 4.0 and 4.1 worked fine though. I haven't yet tested the new 4.3 however regarding this.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by kick »

Knoppix? Who uses Knoppix these days? ;)
Slackware-based Live CDs are all the rage now.
Not to mention how popular small bloat-free distros such as Wolvix,Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux are becoming.
BTW,Knoppix hasn't been updated since 2006 :( Sad to see the 'king of Live CDs' abandoned like that...
Don't expect a new release anytime soon.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

kick wrote:Knoppix? Who uses Knoppix these days? ;)
All the IT guys I work with do.
kick wrote:Slackware-based Live CDs are all the rage now.
Never even heard of that being an option. I'll look at it and see if it offers enough stuff.
kick wrote: Not to mention how popular small bloat-free distros such as Wolvix,Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux are becoming.
Which is irrelavent to needing a Live CD.
kick wrote: BTW,Knoppix hasn't been updated since 2006 :( Sad to see the 'king of Live CDs' abandoned like that...
Don't expect a new release anytime soon.
Last releases was from beginning of 2007, with most recent private release from this past July. Where exactly are you getting your info from?
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I just checked 4 different Slackware based Live CDs, not one of them can build ZSNES. While Knoppix can.

Yeah, you keep believing that Slackware based is the way to go, let me know when I can use it as a drop in replacement for everything that Knoppix can do.

Post by kick »

OK,the last public release of Knoppix was from 2006.

The non-public 'Deutsche' version [5.2.0] is only available through a German magazine or via 'secret' BitTorrent links.

"The next public download edition (5.2.1) will be issued as CD and DVD probably in April 2007"
It's almost December now and still no sign of 5.2.1 :(
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Nach wrote:
kick wrote:Knoppix? Who uses Knoppix these days? ;)
All the IT guys I work with do.
Notice the wink at the end of the sentence? :)
Nach wrote:
kick wrote:Slackware-based Live CDs are all the rage now.
Never even heard of that being an option. I'll look at it and see if it offers enough stuff.
I don't like them either,I just pointed them as an option.I'll stick with good ol' Knoppix :)
kick wrote:
Nach wrote:Not to mention how popular small bloat-free distros such as Wolvix,Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux are becoming.
Which is irrelavent to needing a Live CD.
Don't like them either,but a customized Puppy with the DevX addon is damn good as a live CD :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Nach wrote:I just checked 4 different Slackware based Live CDs, not one of them can build ZSNES. While Knoppix can.
and sadly this is the problem with most good live CD distros, hell they don't even have GCC and co. in their repositories (if they even have them at all)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

kick wrote:OK,the last public release of Knoppix was from 2006.
No, it's from January 2007.
As for that magazine only release, there's torrents for the DVD version online.

Knoppix mailing list as of last month said to expect new version near year's end.

Post by kick »

Nach wrote:
kick wrote:OK,the last public release of Knoppix was from 2006.
No, it's from January 2007.
Looks like you're right (I missed the minor bugfix (x.x.1) release)

As for that magazine only release, there's torrents for the DVD version online.
Finally a good reason to use that torrent client.I haven't done torrenting for ages.I always find it faster to get stuff directly from the FTP.
Knoppix mailing list as of last month said to expect new version near year's end.
Ah,great. That'll make a wonderful Christmas present. Can't wait to get my paws on a copy :)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

kick wrote: Finally a good reason to use that torrent client.I haven't done torrenting for ages.I always find it faster to get stuff directly from the FTP.
I always find it fastest to download ISOs of Linux distors using nget along with all the HTTP URLs that the universities and whatnot provide.

Post by Thristian »

I notice a recent commit has removed a whole bunch of 'unsigned ints are 32-bit' assumptions from the code - is Gambatte secretly getting a PDP-11 port? :)
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

That assumption would prevent the code from working on machines where int is smaller than 32 bits, and machines where it's larger, like x86-64.