bsnes sound pitch too high...

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Moonfrost

bsnes sound pitch too high...

Post by Moonfrost »

Hey everyone, I've been using bsnes for a while now, since 0.75 (though I heard of it for years) and I'm now using 0.80 and I'm having a little issue which has always been there for me when using bsnes.

The issue is that the sound pitch for all games is too fast, I would guess this has to do that all games run at 62fps max instead of 60fps like it should be, I have quite a few games that I have actually played in a real SNES in the past and in other emulators and I know for a fact the pitch is too high for sound effects and music.

Is there any way to fix this? is there some option I haven't seen to limit fps to 60? or any way to just lower sound pitch? any help would be appreciated!
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: bsnes sound pitch too high...

Post by odditude »

audio playback is pitch-shifted per the framerate, so it will indeed be at a higher pitch at 62FPS. i'd suggest either running with vsync on a 60Hz display or asking on byuu's board.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Moonfrost

Post by Moonfrost »

odditude wrote:audio playback is pitch-shifted per the framerate, so it will indeed be at a higher pitch at 62FPS. i'd suggest either running with vsync on a 60Hz display or asking on byuu's board.
Thanks for the reply, it seems enabling video sync lowers the fps to 58-60fps on my system, which is noticeably better on the pitch but sound quality seems to suffer for some reason...

I was originally going to post this on byuu's forum but I have to wait for the administrator to activate my account, a practice I've never seen before and I made the account hours ago but still haven't received the second confirmation e-mail.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Moonfrost wrote: I was originally going to post this on byuu's forum but I have to wait for the administrator to activate my account, a practice I've never seen before and I made the account hours ago but still haven't received the second confirmation e-mail.
Tell me about it. Byuu might be implementing some very strict prerequisites (and possible filtering) for joining his site. What those are, I have no idea. For a while there he banned my IP address from accessing his site (which didn't stop me from using, *ahem* other methods) for something I made him upset about...which I don't remember.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I think the manual activation was actually a last resort to stop spambots and cheap chinese labor from flooding the boards.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Also trolls, since he's quite vulnerable to them.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I think the manual activation was actually a last resort to stop spambots and cheap chinese labor from flooding the boards.
those spammers don't just come from china, ya know... :P
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah, they come from Russia, too.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

How nice of him to ban my IP address once again (sarcasm). He doesn't tell me what I did "wrong" to ban it in the first place. Just because I voiced my opinion concerning Bsnes on Ngemu...
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

well, we all know that Byuu were quite... defensive.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

Rashidi wrote:well, we all know that Byuu were quite... defensive.
Defensive is right. Why he doesn't have the balls to frikin' tell me what I said "wrong" is beyond me. I never said that Bsnes was a bad emulator, but it may be when I said that the system requirements where prohibitively high.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Because he considers anyone who opposes his extremist views to be "trolls".

Simple. :?
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

*Sigh* I guess there's no value in making an apology, huh? Oh, well. :( He thinks I insulted Bsnes, when I clearly didn't.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It could also be because you're an idiot troll, lordmister.
king_harkanian
Rookie

Post by king_harkanian »

I.S.T. wrote:It could also be because you're an idiot troll, lordmister.

???????
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I.S.T. wrote:It could also be because you're an idiot troll, lordmister.
now that you mention it, I do get the feeling King Harnakian is someone's alt...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

I doubt it. That person (if I think who I think it is), is in USA land. lordmister is in UK land.

Entirely seperate IPs.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

He's not limited by that sort of stuff. Who cares as long as the stupid remains low.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54