VBA-M

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

mudlord,how about including the amazing HQXxS and XxPM filters?
HQXxS (filters sprites as well) is the best-looking filter for low-res GBA graphics,while XxPM is similar to HQxX,but a lot faster.
AFAIK, Nitsuja was the one that came up with those filters. If they are in the re-recording version, they will be ported over. If not, they can be added manually.
Also,what's the point of having the same filters twice in VBA-M?
There are currently two ways of selecting the filters: via the 'magnification' menu and with the 'Select Filter' option.
Is there any difference between those filters? (hardware vs. software based?)
Choosing the 'Select Filter' and then enabling it gives me a corrupt (discolored,zoomed-in half-length) image in 16bit and 32bit mode,while the normal 'magnification' ones don't have this problem.
In this case I will trim out the unneeded filters. The main difference is there's some that are internal, and others are the Kega filters (which is a simple case of deleting the extra RPI's as needed).
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

mudlord wrote: AFAIK, Nitsuja was the one that came up with those filters. If they are in the re-recording version, they will be ported over. If not, they can be added manually.
Yeah,they are included in VBA Rerecording.I just fired up the latest build of VBA-Re and wow - what a difference HQ3xS makes!

EDIT: Also,the option of having choice between accurate emulation speed and accurate sound pitch is a very nice feature of VBA-Re I want to see in VBA-M.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

EDIT: Also,the option of having choice between accurate emulation speed and accurate sound pitch is a very nice feature of VBA-Re I want to see in VBA-M.
Why can't it do both at the same time?
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Why can't it do both at the same time?
That would be even better.

Huh? What happened to the main site? I kinda liked the old design,it was somewhat...different and refreshing,now it looks more like your everyday blog :)
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Huh? What happened to the main site? I kinda liked the old design,it was somewhat...different and refreshing,now it looks more like your everyday blog
Well, I can easily revert back to the original design, if people desire...

EDIT: Done, since you like the original project page, I reverted it back. My personal page on the site is done using the same template as the newer design.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Nice to see the old design back,while the new design really fits your personal page.You made a good compromise.

Just one thing I've noticed: The link to your XM Modules pack is broken,can't download :(
Also,which softsynth do you recommend for playing those XG MIDIs? The good old S-YXG50 or XMPlay with a custom soundfont? :)

BTW,is HashCalc (by SlavaSoft) one of your creations? It's has exactly the same capabilities and even the same name [hashcalc]
(just a 10x difference in file size)
EDIT: The one on your site is actually better (no bloat) :)
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

The link to your XM Modules pack is broken,can't download
Fixed.
Also,which softsynth do you recommend for playing those XG MIDIs? The good old S-YXG50 or XMPlay with a custom soundfont?
I personally recommend the S-YXG50 VST w/ foobar2000 and kode54's MIDI component for playing back those MIDIs. The VST should work on Vista, if needs be.
BTW,is HashCalc (by SlavaSoft) one of your creations? It's has exactly the same capabilities and even the same name [hashcalc]
(just a 10x difference in file size)
EDIT: The one on your site is actually better (no bloat)
The one on my site is my own creation. It has no intentional links to the hash calculator on SlavaSoft's homepage.
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

If I select Directdraw, I cant use resolutions below 640x480. (unlike Direct3D, that shows all available video modes).
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Sorry, unable to reproduce. I tried out 320x240 16bit in DDraw mode and had no issues with latest SVN build.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

mudlord wrote:Sorry, unable to reproduce. I tried out 320x240 16bit in DDraw mode and had no issues with latest SVN build.
You were replying to a guy who uses that ArcadeVGA stuff.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

You were replying to a guy who uses that ArcadeVGA stuff.
That information would have been helpful to know. I don't have experience in what this ArcadeVGA stuff can handle, so it strikes me as odd that it doesn't support reses below 640x480. Unless the card uses some weird refresh rate...
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

It looks to me like a regular ATI Radeon 9250 (AGP) with modded drivers and passive cooling.

When using low (i.e. 320x240) resolutions with a standard modern videocard,the card actually operates at 640x480.It just displays the 320x240 doubled,so you get exactly the same image quality,but at a much higher horizontal rate,so forget about using these modes with 15kHz displays.

I wonder if you can have the same functionality (~15kHz modes) by using tools such as PowerStrip with an ordinary VGA.

I also wonder if this card (or any videocard for that matter) supports 50Hz refresh in Windows (2000,XP,Vista,etc.) with a CRT monitor that can handle 50Hz.I haven't seen a single card that can do this (or is that Windows' fault?)
I can get real 50Hz on the monitor however if I connect both a 50Hz TV and monitor at the same time,but this is only at the bootloader/command prompt/in the BIOS.When I start Windows (or Linux) it goes back to 60.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

When using low (i.e. 320x240) resolutions with a standard modern videocard,the card actually operates at 640x480.It just displays the 320x240 doubled,so you get exactly the same image quality,but at a much higher horizontal rate,so forget about using these modes with 15kHz displays.

I wonder if you can have the same functionality (~15kHz modes) by using tools such as PowerStrip with an ordinary VGA.
Thanks for the indepth information! I suppose vigi_lante could try this method to get proper display for his card. I'm sorry for not being much help, due to me lacking the hardware resources to check for myself this bug.

also wonder if this card (or any videocard for that matter) supports 50Hz refresh in Windows (2000,XP,Vista,etc.) with a CRT monitor that can handle 50Hz.I haven't seen a single card that can do this (or is that Windows' fault?)
I can get real 50Hz on the monitor however if I connect both a 50Hz TV and monitor at the same time,but this is only at the bootloader/command prompt/in the BIOS.When I start Windows (or Linux) it goes back to 60.
Hmmm, I can get 43hz interlaced on my monitor (Compaq brand, cant recall what model number)..50Hz seems to be not supported. Still, it doesn't sound right forcing refresh rates for monitors that can't support it.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

mudlord wrote:Hmmm, I can get 43hz interlaced on my monitor (Compaq brand, cant recall what model number)..50Hz seems to be not supported. Still, it doesn't sound right forcing refresh rates for monitors that can't support it.
I'd have to agree with you. Can it possibly damage the monitor?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Some people claim "PAL friendly monitors" can do 50Hz.. but then again, I haven't ever used any of these monitors.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I'd have to agree with you. Can it possibly damage the monitor?
Yes, there is a potential of monitor damage if you force refresh rates that the host monitor can't handle. Which is why I am reluctant to do such a thing.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

That's where excessing warnings and "you are an idiot if you do this" statements should be written somewhere for the good of mankind (or the idiots who don't have a clue).
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Indeed.

If I had added forced 15hz support for vigi_lante's card, then some moron will probably use 15hz for the hell of it and blame me after a few weeks or months that thier monitor is screwed. I simply can't allow that to happen at all.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Whenever I try to run this emulator, I get errors and it crashes. I'm on Windows ME, if that info is of any use.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

get a new OS.

then see if the problem persists.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

That's impossible, sadly, but thanks for the suggestion. If I were to switch this PC to linux, all hell would break loose.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i didn't say linux. you've got to be able to find xp for dirt cheap these days. xp can be had legit for 90$ from newegg, and vista home premium for 105. there may be places that have it for cheaper, but that's a suggestion. and if other people use the computer, make them pitch in.

Windows ME should have never been released. It's a buggy piece of crap, and nobody should use it. ever.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

You guys are getting all wrong. I'm not exactly using the ArcadeVGA, but a software that change videocard drivers to support 15KHz. It's called Soft-15KHz. It makes any regular videocard work like ArcadeVGA, but that's totally irrelevant for what I'm trying to explain.

There is absolutely no need to add "forced 15hz" or anything like that. All I'm asking is to remove what's limiting the emulator to only let you select 640x480 or higher on the screen below, instead of let you choose all available video modes for you card.

mudlord, I'm sure the videocard that you are using support at least 320x240. So, you can reproduce this problem. See if you can select 320x240 from this screen (when using Directdraw) - and not from the window with pre-defined resolutions.

Thanks.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

mudlord, I'm sure the videocard that you are using support at least 320x240. So, you can reproduce this problem. See if you can select 320x240 from this screen (when using Directdraw) - and not from the window with pre-defined resolutions.
Yes, I can. I can select resolutions from 320x240, right up to resolutions around the 2000's....

Also, added very preliminary OpenGL support to SDL port.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC, if the lowres modes aren't listed, your card isn't reporting them to begin with. Don't blame the app in this instance.