Better PS1 and SNES audio plug-ins?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

FitzRoy
Veteran

Better PS1 and SNES audio plug-ins?

Post by FitzRoy »

I'm looking for two things. First, I have a PlayStation game (King's Field) that I really want the soundtrack for. So I use PSXMC to rip it, which has served me well in the past, but I discover that the tracks are in MIDI format. Not STR, not XA, just MIDI. Now obviously, these tracks can't really be ripped to my PC and sound like they did on the PS1 or in my emulator, because the PS1 uses its own synth which is far better than my generic Windows one. So I'm thinking that there has to be a player or foobar plug-in out there somewhere that emulates the PS1 MIDI synth, right? I mean, if the emulators have them...

Second thing I'm looking for is just an SPC player or plug-in that uses blargg's latest core. I'm currently using foo_gep from Kode54, and I'm not sure what he uses, but I'd be interested in greater accuracy if possible. Thanks.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Better PS1 and SNES audio plug-ins?

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

FitzRoy wrote:I'm looking for two things. First, I have a PlayStation game (King's Field) that I really want the soundtrack for. So I use PSXMC to rip it, which has served me well in the past, but I discover that the tracks are in MIDI format. Not STR, not XA, just MIDI. Now obviously, these tracks can't really be ripped to my PC and sound like they did on the PS1 or in my emulator, because the PS1 uses its own synth which is far better than my generic Windows one. So I'm thinking that there has to be a player or foobar plug-in out there somewhere that emulates the PS1 MIDI synth, right? I mean, if the emulators have them...
If they're standard MIDI, then the big difference is just a matter of what samples are uploaded to the hardware.
If your hardware allows uploading samples, it shouldn't be too hard to get a match.

If your hardware forces you to use GM or GS standard sets... sucks to be you.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Oh, goddammit on the first one. I just realized that what I'm looking for has been done and is called PSF. :roll: For some reason, PSXMC saw them as MIDIs, but they're SEQ files and I guess SEQ files are convertible to PSF or something like that... it's just that the archive I was using didn't have the KF series.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

PSF is the same concept as NSF, SPC, SID, ETC.
Just emulates the PS1 sound hardware. You can load anything up into it that a real PS1 can play(within reason... it won't do redbook audio, for example).
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Second thing I'm looking for is just an SPC player or plug-in that uses blargg's latest core. I'm currently using foo_gep from Kode54, and I'm not sure what he uses, but I'd be interested in greater accuracy if possible.
kode54's foo_gep component uses blargg's emulation code :wink: If he is not using blargg's patch for his snes_spc in GME, it should be dead easy to add in (just a simple recompile). Audacious uses blargg's code, too.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Sweet, I guess I've got what I wanted then.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

mudlord wrote:Audacious uses blargg's code, too.
Now if only it didn't use the sucky horror sound rape pcsx PSF plugin... -_-
Gil_Hamilton wrote:PSF is the same concept as NSF, SPC, SID, ETC.
Just emulates the PS1 sound hardware. You can load anything up into it that a real PS1 can play(within reason... it won't do redbook audio, for example).
I think there's support for streams, or was it only in PSF2 ? Anyway, bigass lossless rips were never my cup of tea.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
I think there's support for streams, or was it only in PSF2 ? Anyway, bigass lossless rips were never my cup of tea.
I think it's just PSF that supports streaming audio.

Though the spec notes that there's usually a better option for that than PSF.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
grinvader wrote:
I think it's just PSF that supports streaming audio.

Though the spec notes that there's usually a better option for that than PSF.
PSF2 is ideal for streaming, while PSF would require the entire stream to be loaded to the system's memory at once.
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

you could be interested in Audio Overload as well...

http://www.bannister.org/software/ao.htm

it uses blargg's core for Nintendo formats, supports PSF/PSF2 and also the brand new SSF & DSF (for Saturn and Dreamcast rips)
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Is it just me, or does PSF2 sound very different (worse) than the real PS2? Sorry, I know that blargg's SPC emulation is near perfect, but I don't know the status on PSF2. Anyone know how accurate it is or if work is being done to improve it?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I couldn't hear any faults in any of the psf2 sets i've listened to that I can compare with originals (that makes 5 packs)... maybe your card hates the 48000Hz sampling rate ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Hmm, thanks. I'll check it out.