Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Is it possible to use PAR on the real genesis? if so do the Kega codes work on the real system?
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Yes, any codes created/working in Kega will work in a real Pro Action Replay on the real hardware while Gens' PAR codes won't.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Well, I'm pretty excited for the linux version... I tried the windows port in wine and it almost works?

The only real bug I've gotten so far (besides the obvious...) is that trying to remap my keys freezes the program. And neo_bahamut's sound rate changing thing, but that's no biggie.

Keep up the good work! I'll be very excited to have this working on my system. You're doing a fantastic job.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

King Of Chaos wrote:Yes, any codes created/working in Kega will work in a real Pro Action Replay on the real hardware while Gens' PAR codes won't.
If thats the case then the codes should not have to be changed for usage on Regen, if there is a need to change them it would seem like Regen's memory mapping is not hardware accurate?
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

I'm pretty sure AamirM will be looking into it and making Regen hardware accurate like Kega memory/PAR wise. Now, if only we could get Gens to fix that stuff, we're all set. :)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:halfsized green pic
Someone's using retarded 24bpp...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Should I not be using 24bpp? I've never had a problem with it before.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Ok guys, I've updated the bugs/issues/games not working post here. :)
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Here's the cheat .dat file for Sonic 1 now. :) Remember, just copy and paste the contents below to Notepad, save as > all files, and save it as Sonic 1.dat and load it into Regen. :) If anything's not working, please tell me. :)

[0]
Name=MASTER CODE (MUST BE ENTERED)
0=Off
1=On,000338:6004

[1]
Name=Level Select
0=Off
1=Enable,FFFFE0:0001
2=Disable,FFFFE0:0000

[2]
Name=Debug Mode
0=Off
1=Enable,FFFFFA:0001
2=Disable,FFFFFA:0000

[3]
Name=Chaos Emerald Modifier
0=Off
1=None,FFFE57:0000
2=One,FFFE57:0001
3=Two,FFFE57:0002
4=Three,FFFE57:0003
5=Four,FFFE57:0004
6=Five,FFFE57:0005
7=Six,FFFE57:0006

[4]
Name=Infinite Lives
0=Off
1=On,FFFE12:0009

[5]
Name=Invincibility
0=Off
1=On,FFD030:0045

[6]
Name=Rings Modifier
0=Off
1=1 Ring,FFFE20:0001
2=50 Rings,FFFE20:0032
3=100 Rings,FFFE20:0064
4=101 Rings,FFFE20:0065

[7]
Name=Never Drown Underwater
0=Off
1=On,FFFE14:FFFF

[8]
Name=Disable Water In All Levels
0=Off
1=On,FFF648:0993
Last edited by King Of Chaos on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Should I not be using 24bpp? I've never had a problem with it before.
Use 32bpp and you'll not run into problems.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

snkcube wrote:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:Should I not be using 24bpp? I've never had a problem with it before.
In my xorg.conf I have a couple of monitor entries (failsafe and others). All of them are set to Depth - 24 (I'm currently under the impression this is 24bpp?). Changing any or all of these to 32 and rebooting has caused my system to blow chunks and start up in failsafe mode. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
snkcube wrote:
In my xorg.conf I have a couple of monitor entries (failsafe and others). All of them are set to Depth - 24 (I'm currently under the impression this is 24bpp?). Changing any or all of these to 32 and rebooting has caused my system to blow chunks and start up in failsafe mode. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I'm guessing your video card doesn't support 32 bpp, which would mean it's very old. You can always try upgrading your drivers.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Really? That's weird... I don't feel like the card is that old (Nvidia GeForce 6600), and I updated my drivers pretty recently...

That sucks :\ I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade for at least another year.

EDIT: Any idea why this only seems to have been an issue with this one emulator? Am I missing anything in my other programs by not using 32bpp that I didn't realize?
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Anything newer than, I dunno, 1997? should support 32-bits. I recently got my grandfather a 22" inch monitor for his birthday and got it to work at its native resolution on a Voodoo 3 ;) (took some driver inf file editing, but it works perfectly)

So your problem is either with the display driver or something else about your setup.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

tetsuo55 wrote:
King Of Chaos wrote:Yes, any codes created/working in Kega will work in a real Pro Action Replay on the real hardware while Gens' PAR codes won't.
If thats the case then the codes should not have to be changed for usage on Regen, if there is a need to change them it would seem like Regen's memory mapping is not hardware accurate?
Regen also emulates PAR like real hardware. All the codes that work in Kega have worked, at least in my testing. That includes the previously posted codes by King of Chaos. That is why the Chaos emerald codes work now, which were not working previously. There were problems previously but I have fixed them. One shouldn't have to modify them now.

About the Sonic 2 problem, that is stange. Some time it gives system lock-up sometimes the music just stops and sometime there is no problem. I am 75% sure this is a problem with Z80 emulator. I will look into that too.

stay safe,

AamirM
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

That is strange. That is actually 16bpp running in 32bpp or 24bpp mode. Emulator should give an error if you are using 24bpp mode. I think its a bug in Wine. It is reporting that 32 bpp mode is being used. I can also post the linux version if can use it without sound :D .

stay safe,

AamirM
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Really? That's weird... I don't feel like the card is that old (Nvidia GeForce 6600), and I updated my drivers pretty recently...

That sucks :\ I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade for at least another year.
the problem is with your monitor, not your video card.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

franpa wrote:the problem is with your monitor, not your video card.
Are you serious? God damn, it's practically new. is there anything I can do about it?

And also, Aamir, I'd like to test out the linux version, if you don't mind.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
franpa wrote:the problem is with your monitor, not your video card.
Are you serious? God damn, it's practically new. is there anything I can do about it?

And also, Aamir, I'd like to test out the linux version, if you don't mind.
Hi,

I think it should work if you set the "Super fast blitting" option as it natively uses 32-bit rendering (8bit each for RGB so 24-bit).

stay safe,

AamirM
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

AamirM wrote:
tetsuo55 wrote:
Regen also emulates PAR like real hardware. All the codes that work in Kega have worked, at least in my testing. That includes the previously posted codes by King of Chaos. That is why the Chaos emerald codes work now, which were not working previously. There were problems previously but I have fixed them. One shouldn't have to modify them now.
A couple you still have to. Mainly in my own testing, the invincibility and ring modifier codes.

For example, the following codes work with Sonic 1 in Kega...

FFD031:0045 Invincibility
FFFE21:0032 Always Have 50 Rings

With Regen you have to push the address back by one...

FFD030:0045 & FFFE20:0032

I'm not sure why this is, but I suspect it's because of the odd numbered addresses. I have a new Invincibility code in the works too. :)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

@ DancemasterGlenn

It work in Cedega see this under super fast blitting. I reccomend using regen this way as this includes all the features.

stay safe,

AamirM
byuu

Post by byuu »

Lots of incorrect info abound :/
That is strange. That is actually 16bpp running in 32bpp or 24bpp mode. Emulator should give an error if you are using 24bpp mode. I think its a bug in Wine. It is reporting that 32 bpp mode is being used.
man xorg.conf:
Depth depth
This entry specifies what colour depth the Display subsection is to be used for. This entry is usually specified, but it may be omitted to create a match-all Display subsection or when wishing to match only against the FbBpp parameter. The range of depth values that are allowed depends on the driver. Most drivers support 8, 15, 16 and 24. Some also support 1 and/or 4, and some may support other values (like 30). Note: depth means the number of bits in a pixel that are actually used to determine the pixel colour. 32 is not a valid depth value. Most hardware that uses 32 bits per pixel only uses 24 of them to hold the colour information, which means that the colour depth is 24, not 32.
So, when you say depth 24, it becomes up to the driver whether it uses packed 3-bytes per pixel RGB888, or 4-bytes per pixel, XRGB8888. Since you have an nVidia card, it's 32-bit. Some drivers will erroneously accepth "Depth 32". It's broken behavior on their part.
the problem is with your monitor, not your video card.

( edit: thanks, AoL! :D )

Glenn, your monitor is absolutely fine. What's happening is that Wine is failing to create a 16-bpp surface. Typically, you select a 16-bpp surface via DDPIXELFORMAT. When this fails, Regen is most likely* falling back on the default surface, which would be your native desktop resolution, or 32-bpp. This is why the image appears 50% crushed.
(* obviously, I can't be sure of what's happening without the source code.)

The best way to fix it would require AamirM to find a way to detect when the surface is actually 32bpp (via DDSURFACEDESC info), and then render in 32-bpp in that case. Very few emu authors bother with this, as even ~10 year old Windows drivers can easily create 16-bpp surfaces, regardless of your desktop's depth setting.
I think it should work if you set the "Super fast blitting" option as it natively uses 32-bit rendering (8bit each for RGB so 24-bit).
"Super fast blitting" uses 32-bpp, whereas without the option it uses 16-bpp?? That seems backward :P
Last edited by byuu on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

New issue found. Loading another game from history when Virtua Racing is loading causes the emulator to crash.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

I swear byuu, you're a life saver.
byuu wrote:So, when you say depth 24, it becomes up to the driver whether it uses packed 3-bytes per pixel RGB888, or 4-bytes per pixel, XRGB8888. Since you have an nVidia card, it's 32-bit. Some drivers will erroneously accepth "Depth 32". It's broken behavior on their part.
I read something similar to that in my googling on this issue, but it wasn't ever clear enough for me to get it.
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to fix my problems:

I would try in cedega, but I don't have a subscription... is byuu's idea for detecting 32bpp at all possible?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.