What do things like [h1C] mean?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

krille
Rookie

What do things like [h1C] mean?

Post by krille »

All I've found on this is the following thread at EmuTalk: http://www.emutalk.net/archive/index.php/t-4015.html

Going by that, 'h' would simply mean 'hacked' in some way and '1' would simply be a differentiator between hacked roms. But what would the 'C' part mean?

Let's say we found a subset of the following versions of a ROM, which versions would we rather play (how would we rank them), without really knowing much else about their differences other than the [] designation?
Rom [!]
Rom [f1]
Rom [f2]
Rom [h1]
Rom [h2]
Rom [h1C]
Rom [h2C]

Mighty confusing!

Thanks for any input.
diminish

Post by diminish »

Best way for you would be to ask Cowering himself ^_^, as GoodCodes.txt doesn't come with such detailed info. What I can suggest is to extract GoodSNES set and fetch it to NSRT. After parsing, throw away unneeded shite using search masks like *[t*, *[h* etc so you will be left with g00dr0mz.
Last edited by diminish on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

His latest tool has the codes :)

Edit: done.
Last edited by franpa on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
krille
Rookie

Post by krille »

So [h* is bad then and shouldn't be played?

What about [f* vs [!]?

franpa, that is good and all but it doesn't really answer the question, yet it bloats the thread. Please edit out that massive text. I uploaded the GoodCodes.txt via Google Docs here:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ddmjzkpg_2cgv2ddfg

edit: So immediate edits show up, eh?
Last edited by krille on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'd remove that IRC channel, franpa.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

*twitch*
FOR FUCK'S SAKE! NINTENDO POWER ISN'T EVEN A MAGAZINE IN JAPAN!
IT'S A FUCKING FLASH CARTRIDGE DOWNLOAD SERVICE! GOD DAMMIT WHY IS THAT IDIOCY STILL IN THERE?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

krille wrote:So [h* is bad then and shouldn't be played?

What about [f* vs [!]?

franpa, that is good and all but it doesn't really answer the question, yet it bloats the thread. Please edit out that massive text. I uploaded the GoodCodes.txt via Google Docs here:

it actually answers your question perfectly. try reading it
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
krille
Rookie

Post by krille »

sweener2001 wrote:
krille wrote:So [h* is bad then and shouldn't be played?

What about [f* vs [!]?

it actually answers your question perfectly. try reading it
Try capitalisation, you may like it. ;)

Jokes aside, of course I've read it. Check the link in my first post for example. It's the same stuff there already (the essential parts of GoodCodes.txt anyway). It doesn't say [F] is the best to play, it just spells out the abbreviation as 'fixed' (ie hacked or altered, but with intentions to improve playability in some way without rebalancing the game or changing its contents), but not what's actually been 'fixed' or whether it's actually better to run these 'fixed' roms with modern emulators and versions of ZSNES (I actually read a post by a member of GoodSNES' forums that read you generally want an [!] rom, not an [F] rom). It doesn't say it's actually generally better to go with [F] than [!]. I'm mainly using ZSNES, hence I'm posting here (I'd also consider SNES9x when it's recommended, such as for Terranigma and other S-DD1 titles, btw I've heard SNES9x used to have better sound too, is this still true?).

More importantly, did YOU even bother to read the topic? Maybe you should've and you would've realized that body of text DOES NOT explain what [h1C] means (and, no, the capital C does not mean Chinese). So clearly you are wrong while at the same time acting like a smart aleck. It would've have taken you the very same amount of time to write something like "[F] is indeed generally preferred to [!] for emulation" as to type up something cocky like "try reading it" and it would've at least helped some. (Still wouldn't have answered the topic though, as I still wouldn't know what [h1C] is supposed to mean.)

Please, try to be at least a little bit helpful or just avoid my threads.

Thanks!
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

what the codes would mean depends on system the rom is for, so all the examples you've given in your first post mean nothing, and thusly you can't get an answer without asking Cowering.

use NSRT.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

when asking yourself the question, "should i run a fixed game, or a verified good dump?", you're honestly saying that the answer didn't pop out at you?

and then there's the whole fact that you're even using the GoodTools
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Re: What do things like [h1C] mean?

Post by franpa »

krille wrote:Rom [!] this is a good dump, generally confirmed by NSRT.

Rom [f1] Most likely fixed for emulators back in the day when several games simply didnt work right without hacks. Use the [!] with SNES9x 1.51, ZSNES 1.51 or BSNES 0.35 instead.

Rom [f2] Most likely fixed for emulators back in the day when several games simply didnt work right without hacks. Use the [!] with SNES9x 1.51, ZSNES 1.51 or BSNES 0.35 instead.

Rom [h1] A hack/mod of the game that does stuff other then "fixing" the ROM.

Rom [h2] A hack/mod of the game that does stuff other then "fixing" the ROM.

Rom [h1C] most likely a chinese version of [H1]

Rom [h2C] Most Likely a chinese version of [H2]
Isn't this what your after?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

You can obviously see that the ROM is drunk, just look at it's "uber 1337" spelling of *hic* in brackets.

Anyway its the first reported hack, or Hack 1. The C could just mean its a hack to make the game for GBC, Chinese or a subversion of the First Hack. I'm not sure if that mark is from GoodTools or some bad naming from a ROM Source. Either way, you didn't mention how you found the mark, how it was generated or acquired.

Also, for the sake of the forum, just use NSRT and trust it, not GoodTools. And if you scanned the ROM and NSRT didn't like it, either try it, delete it or keep it.

EDIT: franpa, where did you quote krille from? Also I guess I took to long typing.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

hist latest NES tool has the codes in goodcodes.txt, what I wrote in bold is what I think they mean, your explanation of the C code is better, I was just too lazy to write it like that.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Code: Select all

Standard Codes:
[a] - Alternate
[b] - Bad Dump
[BF] - Bung Fix
[c] - Cracked
[f] - Other Fix
[h] - Hack
[o] - Overdump
[p] - Pirate
[t] - Trained
[T] - Translation
(Unl) - Unlicensed
[x] - Bad Checksum
ZZZ_ - Unclassified
[!] - Verified Good Dump
(???k) - ROM Size

Special Codes:
[C] - Color GameBoy
[S] - Super GameBoy
(M#) - Multilanguage (# of Languages)
[M] - Mono Only (NeoGeo Pocket)
(PC10) - PlayChoice 10 (NES)
(1) - Japan (Genesis)
(4) - USA (Genesis)
(5) - NTSC Only (Genesis)
(8) - PAL Only (Genesis)
(BS) - BS ROMS (SNES)
(ST) - Sufami Turbo (SNES)
(NP) - Nintendo Power (SNES)
(Adam) - ADAM Version (Coleco)
(PAL) - PAL Video

Country Codes:
(A) - Australian
(C) - Chinese
(E) - Europe
(F) - French
(FN) - Finland
(G) - German
(GR) - Greece
(HK) - Hong Kong
(I) - Italian
(J) - Japan
(K) - Korean
(NL) - Dutch
(PD) - Public Domain
(S) - Spanish
(SW) - Sweden
(U) - USA
(UK) - England
(Unk) - Unknown Country
(-) - Unknown Country 
google
Jonas Quinn
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

Follow the link for the explanation:
http://www.allgoodthings.us/mambo/index ... id=324#324

goodcodes.txt isn't up to date.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

May I take this opportunity to give a hearty Fuck You to Cowering?

Oh, wait, I just did!

Carry on.
krille
Rookie

Post by krille »

First of all, I'm sorry, I didn't know these things were highly system specific, as suggested by funkyass. In this case I had SNES in mind. But I thought they may have 'cross-console' meanings, while still within the console roms 'scene'.
sweener2001 wrote:when asking yourself the question, "should i run a fixed game, or a verified good dump?", you're honestly saying that the answer didn't pop out at you?

and then there's the whole fact that you're even using the GoodTools
That is indeed the first though you get. But it isn't necessarily that easy. Why else do you think I included those options? 'Patches' for very specific purposes, in this case for emulators/copiers - that are not meant for the original carts - may very well be inferior to the perfect and verified [!] image of the cart on a good emulator. If the emulator is good enough to emulate the [!] next to flawlessly, you would most likely want the [!] going by the description provided, as patches always risk introducing new bugs and complications to the code. And as I said in my last post, I read someone say over at GoodSNES forums say that you usually want a [!] for emulation.

You should now realize I thought one step ahead (otherwise, why even bother with the thread start?). You obviously couldn't follow. Instead you turned to attitude. And as such, you are too stubborn to even admit you were indeed indisputably wrong as GoodSNES.txt doesn't even answer the very topic. You are trying to be slick while blatantly failing at it, now get out of my thread. Next time, read the actual first post if you want to participate. And do so in a good spirit!

Franpa > Wow, thank you! I suspected it could be this way, [!] indeed being preferred to [F] for the latest iterations of emulators. However, h1C does not mean Chinese. This was very much what I was looking for.

Jonas > Thank you, that answers my remaining question!
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

It means cowering is an idiot.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

krille wrote:Franpa > Wow, thank you! I suspected it could be this way, [!] indeed being preferred to [F] for the latest iterations of emulators. However, h1C does not mean Chinese. This was very much what I was looking for.
Wow, Franpa was helpful.. :shock:

that being said, if you break down the code based on gllt's post, it means hacked Japanese ROM to (possibly?) Chinese for the Genesis.

h = Hack
1 = Japanese Genesis
C = Chinese

so it was probably a hacked japanese Genesis ROM to output Chinese, or something.

EDIT: That was gllt that posted the list of codes, not Franpa.. my bad. still it is shocking that even HE was helpful :o :shock:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
krille
Rookie

Post by krille »

adventure_of_link wrote:Wow, Franpa was helpful.. :shock:

that being said, if you break down the code based on gllt's post, it means hacked Japanese ROM to (possibly?) Chinese for the Genesis.

h = Hack
1 = Japanese Genesis
C = Chinese

so it was probably a hacked japanese Genesis ROM to output Chinese, or something.

EDIT: That was gllt that posted the list of codes, not Franpa.. my bad. still it is shocking that even HE was helpful :o :shock:
Indeed he was.

And, no, again, for the nth time, the ROM is not Chinese. The ROM is US English. The C most likely means that the cartname fields have been edited, as Cowering explains in Jonas' link.

edit: If you must know, the actual specific example of an [h1C] ROM I'm thinking of is "Chrono Trigger (U) [h1C].smc".
gllt

Post by gllt »

Can I be's franpa now?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Whatever it means, it is probably not a "good" rom.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I never said C was chinese, I said it was most likely chinese. I posted the goodcodes, but someone edited it to insult me and krille asked me to make it a link. krille provided A link so I just removed the code.
gllt

Post by gllt »

obviously it is a port to the gameboy color in haiti-anese. the one (1) stands for idiotic categorization system. C = Chinese, Cartman fields, Cung Fu, Chicken, Cantonese, and A.

So, anyone up for inventing a new system?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

gllt wrote:obviously it is a port to the gameboy color in haiti-anese. the one (1) stands for idiotic categorization system. C = Chinese, Cartman fields, Cung Fu, Chicken, Cantonese, and A.

So, anyone up for inventing a new system?
I take it you've never heard of tosec/no-into/NSRT/any number of other things?