Help me complete my library.

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

is the disc your adding them to, a cd-rw?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

CD-R. Why?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It doesn't matter. Whatever franpa's response is, it's going to be way off-base.

Thebullfrog wrote:Um, wow. Anywho: Still can't get SSF to run. Tried a different copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga with the same result. I just can't get it to work. Haven't tried any other games yet, but I'll probably look into it in a bit. Now I do have a noob question though. WTF are you supposed to do with the .cue files that come with some of the images. I have one for SotN, and PSX always complains about it not being there but it runs fine anyway. It also complains that my other games don't have it, but they run. Panzer Dragoon also came with them. What are they for/do and what am I supposed to be doing with them. I tried adding them on to the disk, but both NERO and PowerISO say that it's an invalid format (despite them both having .CUE listed in the search options when they look for image files).
A CUE file is a plain-text file with, essentially, the disk's table of contents. It tells the program reading it where the tracks and sessions begin and end, as well as what KIND of track/session they are.

Without it, the program can USUALLY guess what stops go where in the disk image, but if you need EXACT spacings, you use a CUE file.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

So how do you use it then? And if it's a text file, then why do mine show up as a VLC media player file?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Thebullfrog wrote:So how do you use it then? And if it's a text file, then why do mine show up as a VLC media player file?
Well, a CUE's contents are text, but they're a lot more useful when used in something other than notepad(and in association with a image file).

As for how you use them...
*shrugs*

Mine "just work."
Admittedly, I'm usually mounting the CUE and image in Daemon Tools instead of burning
, but...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:It doesn't matter. Whatever franpa's response is, it's going to be way off-base.
If he's thinking what I think he's thinking, he's just a little mixed up.

The PS1 laser cannot read RWs, even on the gray PSone models. That's probably what he's thinking of.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Well mounting is fine and dandy in the case of pSX, but SSF will only read direct from a disk, at least so far as I've been able to ascertain there's no way to make SSF read direct from an image, or even find the mounted drive, or am I missing something really obvious and in front of my face?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Thebullfrog wrote:Well mounting is fine and dandy in the case of pSX, but SSF will only read direct from a disk, at least so far as I've been able to ascertain there's no way to make SSF read direct from an image, or even find the mounted drive, or am I missing something really obvious and in front of my face?
Daemon Tools emulates a CD/DVD drive. It looks just like a real drive to software.
So as far as SSF can tell, it IS a real CD.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

I've been trying that with powerISO, but SSF doesn't even see the virtual drive. I tend to shy away from Daemon Tools since every time I try it, it shows up as being malware.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Ah yes. So I got myself a proper non virus laden copy od Daemon Tools. SSF does indeed see it now, and all is well. At first it wouldn't even see the image file, and the .CUE gave me the inappropriate disk error. I used PowerISO to convert the image file to an ISO, then mounted the .CUE and it worked fine. Kind of a PITA, but hey I can play Panzer Dragoon now. I "think" I have it all figured out now.

EDIT: So it doesn't need the image converted to ISO? Just mount the .CUE? Yes. Exactly. Other images work fine right off the .CUE. Strange that at first it wouldn't work like that. Whatever. It does now and I'm happy.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The CUE file describes what image file to mount (and what image file to burn, if you are burning an image) + info of how additional tracks should be handled. i.e. for games that have redbook or even non-redbook BGM, Daemon Tools knows how to mount the image file correctly.

Always mount the CUE files and other disc information files instead of the actual image file itself.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

That's exactly what I thought and what I was doing, except at first it wouldn't work. And then randomly decided to change it's mind and start working. But then it could be my comp, I am getting a lot of weird errors lately, mostly related to windows files being either corrupt or missing. I think I need to reinstall windows.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

So now that that's all up and running properly, somebody at work today reminded me that I should attempt the Dreamcast as well. Are there any good emulators for that?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

no.

buy one. they're cheap enough.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Thebullfrog wrote:Ah yes. So I got myself a proper non virus laden copy od Daemon Tools. SSF does indeed see it now, and all is well. At first it wouldn't even see the image file, and the .CUE gave me the inappropriate disk error. I used PowerISO to convert the image file to an ISO, then mounted the .CUE and it worked fine. Kind of a PITA, but hey I can play Panzer Dragoon now. I "think" I have it all figured out now.

EDIT: So it doesn't need the image converted to ISO? Just mount the .CUE? Yes. Exactly. Other images work fine right off the .CUE. Strange that at first it wouldn't work like that. Whatever. It does now and I'm happy.
What kind of file was it at first?

Ntoe that CUE files DO contain an image filename, so if the image didn't match the CUE, that would explain why it wasn't working.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

The only Console without a extremely shiny emulator is the PC Engine/Turbo 16 Graphics. Magic Engine is the only one that work the most but it have a horrible gui with hard control settings and it is shareware. It is better than nothing thought.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

however as of late usually first offences don't earn a ban

it's when you do it over and over
Ah, thanks for correcting me. I recall in the past, policies were pretty strict, when I was just a lurker here...
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Yeah, I had a dreamcast for the longest time. didn't take it with me when I moved however and I think my Mom pitched it :(

And it was a .IMG at first. Just like the other 4 "disks". They all loaded the first time perfectly. Don't know what was up with the first one the first couple times I tried.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

mudlord wrote:I recall in the past, policies were pretty strict, when I was just a lurker here...
JB and Mina used to rule the board with the spiked iron fists of a couple angry gods... and occasionnaly with the retardsmitestick.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:The only Console without a extremely shiny emulator is the PC Engine/Turbo 16 Graphics. Magic Engine is the only one that work the most but it have a horrible gui with hard control settings and it is shareware. It is better than nothing thought.
Magic Engine is NOT the only one.
Ootake is pretty damn good too.
grinvader wrote:
mudlord wrote:I recall in the past, policies were pretty strict, when I was just a lurker here...
JB and Mina used to rule the board with the spiked iron fists of a couple angry gods... and occasionnaly with the retardsmitestick.
You have to admit, a retardsmitestick is a useful weapon to have.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Yeah I'm gonna have to say Nay on the Dreamcast front I suppose. Kinda sux as I really did want to run through a few if those, but I can't get NullDC running to save my life. I mean it does run, but not very well. Ikaruga freezes and Skies of Arcadia if pretty much just broken. I'm sure I could get it by playng with plug-ins and whatnot, but it's not worth the hassle ATM.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

congratulations, i already told you that.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Bite me. I had to try it and see for myself. Now I know for sure and I'll move on. N64 may be next.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

so i guess next time, you shouldn't bother asking the question, if you're going to ignore the answer.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Hhehehh I remember JB: "The Attack Gekko"

Is he still around?