1GB GD-ROM images?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

hkl8324

1GB GD-ROM images?

Post by hkl8324 »

There are Dreamcast CD-ROM images floating on the net, but some of them are rip-off version of the originals (as to accomdate on CD-ROM disc).
Some games like Shenmue has full voice acting over every NPC characters, playing a game like that with a rip-off version just half the fun.

The questions are:
Is someone releasing 1GB image nowadays?(I will not ask for download link)
or How can I make it myself?
The most important thing is, does the DC emulators run them?

(Sorry for posting it here but I really dont know which sub-forum should I put this put in...)
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

A. I'll PM you a link to a place you can get them.

B. They do exist.

C. It's fucking hard to rip them yourself, and you need certain hardware to do so.

D. Yes, the emulators play them.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

this is not emulation! this is god damn piracy!
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I have a question.

Is there some sort of technical limitation to making a CD-R that can hold 1 GB?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

There recently have been advances on that(Orange Book standard that can hold 1.4 gigs roughly and a special type of overburn few burners support. I'd link to something backing that up, but the only link I have is on a torrent forum.), but in general you're fucked.
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:this is not emulation! this is god damn piracy!
just in case you missed last 4 years of videogames market, dreamcast is dead and sega has become a software house only...

talking about piracy, otoh, i don't see many guys complaining about DS emulation (which is really a bad thing, even if the feeling on the pc cannot be compared to the feeling of the real thing)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

So your pirating sega's software because they only make software now?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

etabeta wrote:
PHoNyMiKe wrote:this is not emulation! this is god damn piracy!
just in case you missed last 4 years of videogames market, dreamcast is dead and sega has become a software house only...
Aside from Sega still selling some of those games on other platforms...
They weren't the only Dreamcast supporter.

Certainly, though, most of the DC library is out of print and never coming back.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

franpa wrote:So your pirating sega's software because they only make software now?
By that logic, every single fucking member here is a pirate.

Every single one of us has downloaded an out of print game, and guess what? Most of the games on the DC are out of print, even the Sega released ones.
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Certainly, though, most of the DC library is out of print and never coming back.
this was my point, even if not as well stated as in your post.
btw it is too bad we'll probably never see ShenMue 3, because I loved the first two chapters (for the record, I owned around 20 original games for my dreamcast back in the days, and I really loved them all)
and no, yakuza is not the same thing (even if I bought it for my ps2 :) )

Finally, why complains about DC emulation and no objections about GBA emulation 5/6 years ago or DS emulation these days? aren't these much more close to pirating software?? my answer is yes, but I feel I'm the only one (at least based on the success of few$gba and DSmume)
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I.S.T. wrote:There recently have been advances on that(Orange Book standard that can hold 1.4 gigs roughly and a special type of overburn few burners support. I'd link to something backing that up, but the only link I have is on a torrent forum.), but in general you're fucked.
So, in theory, can't you burn a Dreamcast game to an Orange Book standard CD and there you go, you can play it on the system, or no dice since the system has to be designed to read CDs with that standard?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Metatron wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:There recently have been advances on that(Orange Book standard that can hold 1.4 gigs roughly and a special type of overburn few burners support. I'd link to something backing that up, but the only link I have is on a torrent forum.), but in general you're fucked.
So, in theory, can't you burn a Dreamcast game to an Orange Book standard CD and there you go, you can play it on the system, or no dice since the system has to be designed to read CDs with that standard?
There's a lot of "books" that aren't supported by most CD-ROM drives.

Hell, most of them can't even read/write subchannel data, and that's been there from day 1.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

hate to ask, but what the hell do you all mean by books (when it comes to CDs?)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

adventure_of_link wrote:hate to ask, but what the hell do you all mean by books (when it comes to CDs?)
Google "redbook audio" and start from there.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:hate to ask, but what the hell do you all mean by books (when it comes to CDs?)
There's an entire collection of compact disk standards.
Each one is a specific book, with a specific color.
The red book, which lays out standards for audio CDs, is the most famous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_books
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Metatron wrote:
Unless the DC specifically supports those discs(Which is not possible due ot the format being introduced after the DC came out), no.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Actually... it's purple book that spec'ed the >1 GB CD.
Orange book is the original CD-R/RW spec.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I like dreamcast
Watering ur plants.
darklink
Rookie

Post by darklink »

Emulation is piracy so quit whining! If you want to keep tricking yourself and say that emulation is not piracy then do that in your head not out loud!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

darklink wrote:Emulation is piracy so quit whining! If you want to keep tricking yourself and say that emulation is not piracy then do that in your head not out loud!
Emulators themselves are perfectly legal.

Copyrighted BIOSes and ROMs to use in them are another story.
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Which, do you really think the authorities care about 15+ year old ROMs and other games like that?

At least via piracy, those games will live forever, past the bitrot and the physical limitations of the game carts and discs.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

adventure_of_link wrote:
darklink wrote:Emulation is piracy so quit whining! If you want to keep tricking yourself and say that emulation is not piracy then do that in your head not out loud!

BIOSes and ROMs to use in them are another story.
Tell me a name of a emulator that can emulate a system without a BIOS or a Game loaded? a good example would be the NES (front end tray loader). turning it on without a game would result in a screen that flickers black, gray, black, gray, black, gray, etc. and NO emulator i have seen emulates this. to engage in emulation you need either a BIOS (if the emulator your using can load only the BIOS) or a game/program.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Well, the Sega Genesis emulator Kega Fusion supports the 32X addon without the need for the BIOS. Not exactly what you said or meant, but it's an example of an emulator not dependant on BIOS when otherwise it would be.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

franpa wrote:Tell me a name of a emulator that can emulate a system without a BIOS or a Game loaded? a good example would be the NES (front end tray loader). turning it on without a game would result in a screen that flickers black, gray, black, gray, black, gray, etc. and NO emulator i have seen emulates this. to engage in emulation you need either a BIOS (if the emulator your using can load only the BIOS) or a game/program.
And tell me a system which has a free and/or open source BIOS then.

(I forgot to mention those before, my bad.)
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

BIOSes and ROMs to use in them are another story.
Tell me a name of a emulator that can emulate a system without a BIOS or a Game loaded? a good example would be the NES (front end tray loader). turning it on without a game would result in a screen that flickers black, gray, black, gray, black, gray, etc. and NO emulator i have seen emulates this. to engage in emulation you need either a BIOS (if the emulator your using can load only the BIOS) or a game/program.
Tell me a system in which dumping of the game by the end user is physically impossible.

Or better yet...
Tell me how Vectrex emulation, using software which has been made freely distributable by the original copyright holders, is piracy?

Also, the flicker is a result of the "lockout chip", which has no control over anything other than the reset line, and the disabling of which is a common mod to real systems. So they just emulate a modded NES by not flickering. :P

Finally, and this is the important part...
How do you justify your holier-than-thou attitude while running around the message board of a prominent SNES emulator, which strongly implies that you do, in fact, use non-commercial emulators yourself?
And unlike the Dreamcast, a good portion of the SNES library is being made commercially available on the Wii.