Mupen64Plus 1.4 Released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Mupen64Plus 1.4 Released

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Mupen64Plus was released recently. The emulator is a fork Of the original cross-platform Mupen, but currently focuses on emulation for linux (with future plans to re-branch into windows and mac builds). It's a lot more stable and visually pleasing compared to Mupen, and the added bugfixes make this a must-download for any linux user who wants to enjoy solid n64 emulation.
FEATURES:
* Dynamic recompilers for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (amd64) machines
* 3 OpenGL video plugins: glN64, RiceVideoLinux, Glide64
* Hi-resolution texture support in Rice Video
* GTK2-based GUI
* Command-line options for integration into other systems
* Installation support for multi-user systems
You can grab the source or the 32/64 bit executables at the project's google code page here. Also be sure to check out the game compatibility list and bug tracker on said page.

EDIT: You can grab the windows WIP here.

EDIT 2: Any Debian/Ubuntu users can try this repository on for size (thanks to byuu for the heads-up)
Last edited by DancemasterGlenn on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Mupen64Plus 1.3 Released

Post by grinvader »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:plugins
You lose.

GAME OVER
- Insert coin -
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Yeah, I don't really like the epsxe way that all these emulators handle plugins, but it's still a good emulator.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

In regards to plugins, there's actually a thread going on over at their forum right now where cutting out plugins seems to be up for discussion. Sounds like they're leaning towards taking one of each video/audio/input plugin and making it part of the overall code (whee!). Anyone who would like to put in their two cents supporting ditching the plugin method should go here.

In other news, getting the windows port up to snuff is underway (but it will probably still be a while) and activity is going strong. Woot.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

The code base is now beginning to be re-ported into windows. Anyone who would like to participate in testing these builds can get the emulator here.

In addition, 1.4 will hopefully be out soon, with a lot of tweaks and tune-ups.
I bring the trouble.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Based on what I tested (1.3 windows) the only issue I see is the fact that you have to enable full screen to see the whole thing. Sure, it's a beta release and the windowed mode has its bugs, but from what I've seen, this emulator sure has alot of potential.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
byuu

Post by byuu »

Not trying to advertise or anything here ... but I mentioned this thread to Derrick when he was making an Ubuntu 8.04 repo for Mupen64, so he posted a Mupen64Plus package as well.

He posted it http://repository.cinnamonpirate.com/ if anyone wants to try it out.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

From my limited testing which was two games all I noticed was Shadowman would not run with Disable audio sync which is enabled by default. So if you're having problems running a game try messing with the two compatibility options. Though I don't see why they even have them. It's annoying having to tweak games on a per game basis. I think I'll just leave it off as long as it doesn't affect any other games. It'd also be kind of nice if it recognized byteswapped v64 roms in the file loading dialog. I have to switch it to view all files in order to load them. All in all though it's a pretty cool emulator. If I have some more time I'll run some more games through it.
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

I'll test this out whenever I get my new video card next week. :/
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Definitely run any bugs you find by the devs over at the emutalk forum, they're working really hard over there to make this emulator stellar. And thanks for the repo byuu, I'll add it to the first post.
I bring the trouble.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Version 1.4 has now been released, with the following new features:
# Graphical debugger for R4300 core (build with 'make DBG=1')
# On Screen Display for savestate, volume, speed messages
# KDE4 GUI (experimental, compile from source)
# Cheat system with Gameshark codes
# Rumble Pack / Force Feedback support
# Change emulator speed in 5% increments, with smooth sound playback
# Volume up/down
# Dozens of other improvements and bug fixes: GUI, Input, Sound enhancements
Work has slowed on the windows build, but it's still a definite goal to become cross-platform again. some things planned for 1.5 are proper aspect ratio correction, and netplay support.
I bring the trouble.