Looking for GBA emulator for OSX

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Hyos
Regular

Looking for GBA emulator for OSX

Post by Hyos »

Hi,

as I am used to the great quality of VBA-M I was sad when I realized Mac OSX is not supported. Are there any good GBA emulators out there for Macs?

I have only found VBA 1.7 for Mac and an old experimental build of VBA-M.

Hope someone can help me out, thanks.
erise

Post by erise »

Unfortunately, there's not much. Here's what I know of:

There are several versions of VBA available here (including a 1.8.0u beta).

There is also Richard Bannister's Boycott Advance, although it hasn't seen an update to the emulator core in years.

Finally, Mednafen has Game Boy Advance emulation, although I don't know how well it works since I wasn't able to get the software to compile on my Intel Mac mini.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

erise wrote:Finally, Mednafen has Game Boy Advance emulation, although I don't know how well it works since I wasn't able to get the software to compile on my Intel Mac mini.
I got Mednafen to compile when I was interested in PC-Engine emulation, and it turns out that (On my PPC Mac, at least) it was far less buggy than Boycott Advance, and far faster that the VBA builds I've used, despite being based on the VBA source.

The downside of Mednafen, of course, is the lack of user-interface and the difficulty of tracking down, compiling and installing all the libraries Mednafen needs, as well as compiling Mednafen itself. I did it once, but (especially since I have a real, live GBA to play GBA games on) I can't be bothered doing it again.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Looking for GBA emulator for OSX

Post by Nach »

Hyos wrote: as I am used to the great quality of VBA-M I was sad when I realized Mac OSX is not supported.
Ah, but it is.

As Kraid can attest too, VBA-M works fine on Mac OS X.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Hyos »

Really? So is there an updated binary avaiable anywhere or do I have to compile myself?

Guess I'll check the VBA-M page again...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Hyos wrote:or do I have to compile myself?
Bingo.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Nach wrote:
Bingo.
Outch! That hurts!
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
Nach wrote:
Bingo.
Outch! That hurts!
Not at all, not me anyway. Thanks for the info, I was not able to find any info on this in the VBA-M site or forums. Now let's see how long it will take me to get this running :-)
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Hyos wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
Nach wrote:
Bingo.
Outch! That hurts!
Not at all, not me anyway. Thanks for the info, I was not able to find any info on this in the VBA-M site or forums. Now let's see how long it will take me to get this running :-)
I'm glad! There's many people who don't even know what the word compile is.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Neo Kaiser wrote:There's many people who don't even know what the word compile is.
Game company. Made some awesome shooters, then whored Puyo-Puyo for all it was worth until they died.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:There's many people who don't even know what the word compile is.
Game company. Made some awesome shooters, then whored Puyo-Puyo for all it was worth until they died.
Aye.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
erise

Post by erise »

Hyos wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:
Nach wrote:
Bingo.
Outch! That hurts!
I looked also and couldn't find any sources newer than the already compiled Mac version of VBA-M 0.1. Where are these updated sources available?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

SourceForge.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Okay, I got the makefile to run on OSX and after a load of warnings it told me target vbamcore was built. But now I'm stumped, what would be the next step?