Getting reverb and gaussian interpolation in ePSXe 1.7

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Getting reverb and gaussian interpolation in ePSXe 1.7

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Okay, I'll just ask this question in a different thread, then. This is about the internal SPU Plugin 1.70 that was released a couple of days ago. While the it has some really nice interpolation and synched sound, the reverb is non-existent, so the music sounds flat. Why is this? What happened to Eternal SPU? Last I checked, it was dead. So, what I'm trying to ask here is, is there a plugin, for ePSXe, that has the following: 1-reverb, 2- synched sound and 3- gaussian interpolation?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Rashidi
Trooper

Re: Getting reverb and gaussian interpolation in ePSXe 1.7

Post by Rashidi »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:So, what I'm trying to ask here is, is there a plugin, for ePSXe, that has the following: 1-reverb, 2- synched sound and 3- gaussian interpolation?
Try P.E.Op.S DSound
i believe it was in Pete's pages
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Ah, that plugin...well, even though it says is has SPUAsync, it doesn't work, so, I'm back to square one. I know it has gaussian interpolation, but no emulators work with it's so-called "SPU ASync" for some stupid reason. Whatever happened to Eternal SPU?
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

yeah for latency problem, the internal SPU was the best, but lacking in "sound filtering/effect"

that "ASync" was the best aproximation to internal SPU latency against other SPUs i have tried.

rant:
on my peculiar system, eternal plugins works crapily, which is quite odd as on my lil sis' comp, it works wonder

back to eternal plugins, i can only find the was the version 1.50 beta 1
but i think you may already have it anyway
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

What about reverb? The internal SPU doesn't have it, or is there a way to force-enable it?
l3v3l

Post by l3v3l »

If you want reverb (you have to) use Eternal SPU 1.40 / 1.50 Beta 2!
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I was afraid of that...as to why that plugin (or other SPU plugins for that matter) are no longer being worked on is nothing short of a mystery.
l3v3l

Post by l3v3l »

Think positive. ;)
N64-Emulation does NOT have any reverb / bass producing plugins (as far as i know, using pj64 / several plugins)!
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

You can find both Eternal SPU 1.40 and 1.50b2 at http://www.emulation64.com/

I recommend using the older v1.40 plugin instead of the newest beta.
1.50b2 has an additional,supposedly better-sounding algorithm called "New" which IMO sounds a lot worse than the very good "Neill's".Another reason to avoid using the beta is that you can get a much lower audio latency without crackling with the older version.
The beta seems to have more bugs and a slightly higher CPU usage as well (probably due to debug code)

There are two versions of the plugin included in the zip.Use the 'light' version if your CPU can't handle the standard one.The difference in sound quality is minimal (the standard one is just more accurate,while the light one uses optimizations and tricks to achieve the same results).
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I already have that one (1.40) but I was kinda hoping they'd come out with a new version of Eternal SPU that had Gaussian interpolation instead of Linear. Whatever happened to the guy who programmed it? It's just a little annoying sometimes (noticeable in Star Ocean 2's voiceovers).
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:It's just a little annoying sometimes (noticeable in Star Ocean 2's voiceovers).
That's not the plugin's fault. Try the mute button. :D
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:It's just a little annoying sometimes (noticeable in Star Ocean 2's voiceovers).
That's not the plugin's fault. Try the mute button. :D
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Come on, even Precis' voice is fairly tolerable.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

What I meant is the voices sound noticeably raspier. By listening to these files, you can tell a difference: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b26f7b/(Eternal SPU 1.41) and http://www.filefactory.com/file/241c87/ (PEOPS Dsound 1.9)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Come on, even Precis' voice is fairly tolerable.
DIE PRECISE! DIE MORE AND MORE! DIEDIEDIE!

Actually, I was thinking of something else. SO2's dub was tolerable(for the most part), it was just a lousy translation(which is to be expected, given it was an SCEA effort).
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

It's not the translation (although she did say "parabola" wrong) that bothers me. Normally, the PSX SPU is supposed to have Gaussian interpolation, giving the SO2 voices a somewhat muffled effect, as shown in the PEOPS Dsound mp3 I uploaded. The problem is, there's no SPUAsyncing. Thus, the Eternal SPU mp3 attachment does. But the problem with the Eternal SPU plugin is despite the fact it has reverb and SPUAsync, it suffers from only having linear interpolation, which makes SO2's voices sound raspier than it should be. That was the whole point of this thread; originally, I was asking, one - whatever happened to the pluigins' authors and two - is there a way to have both SPUAsync and Gaussian Interpolation? The thing about PEOPS Dsound 1.x is the config menu has "SPUAsync - must be supported by the emu", which ePSXe does, but this option is useless.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:It's not the translation (although she did say "parabola" wrong) that bothers me.
I'm not sure why it doesn't.

"Crawd has advanced forward!"

*insert long discussion about official japanese names and localization issues here, then distill it down to the core issue of inconsistent naming within a single version of the game*

Normally, the PSX SPU is supposed to have Gaussian interpolation, giving the SO2 voices a somewhat muffled effect, as shown in the PEOPS Dsound mp3 I uploaded. The problem is, there's no SPUAsyncing. Thus, the Eternal SPU mp3 attachment does. But the problem with the Eternal SPU plugin is despite the fact it has reverb and SPUAsync, it suffers from only having linear interpolation, which makes SO2's voices sound raspier than it should be. That was the whole point of this thread...
I got all that.
I was making a joke that went over your head regarding the poor localization of Star Ocean 2, and am now participating in a thread tangent that you are STILL not realizing is wholly unrelated to your problem.