Turbo Engine 16 emulator by AamirM

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

FirebrandX wrote:Already tried every gamma and brightness setting with ootake, which is how I know its the palette to blame. .
I know, I was just pointing out that for color replication it's hard to get it to look proper compared to a real TV. And I thought it looked good enough compared to the other shot. Once I really get into the game itself I kind of don't care much about little things like that.
Also the point about not paying for ME, with competing emulators like ootake and others, I can see the reason for not paying for it. The only reason I did some years back is because ME was about the only emulator worth a damn at the time. I had the spare $10 bucks or whatever it was back then, so it didn't really bother me. I wouldn't do it now though for the reasons we've been listing in these comparisons.
That's a good reason for paying. I'm pretty late getting into PC Engine emulation even though I also own a system. Probably because I waste most of my time with Arcade and Nintendo stuff. :)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Adjustable gamma setting would be one thing to add I guess.
Aladar

Post by Aladar »

Hi to all.
You look this image that I have prepared:
Real: composite output colors of my DUO-R.
PicchioEngine(my emulator :wink:): ideal composite output.
MagicEngine: ideal RGB output.
Ootake(y 1.14): RGB output colors with a wrong gamma function,
as you can see the white is 229,229,229 instead of 255,255,255.

Neither MagicEngine nor Ootake have an option for the composite output palette.
AamirM, I hope that you add this option in Turbo Engine 16.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Aladar wrote:Hi to all.

its already there, its called using composite to hook your computer to a TV.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

funkyass wrote:
Aladar wrote:Hi to all.

He said that ootake and me don't have this option. Hook up via TV-out, and they still won't have such an option.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Franky wrote:my reading comprehension sucks
...and this is why you annoy people.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

funkyass wrote: its already there, its called using composite to hook your computer to a TV.
with all the filters out there it wouldn't be a bad thing to support dude.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

odditude wrote:
Franky wrote:Image
...and this is why you annoy people.
Fixed ;)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Sure. I'll add it in next version.

The menus are getting long though :) .
Mednafen
Rookie

Post by Mednafen »

Aladar, you used the Y, R-Y, B-Y tables formula in patent 5389949, correct? I assume you cross-referenced it with patent 5059955?

The blue resolution on a real system is rather ugly, as ye olde Charles was saying...
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Franky wrote:
funkyass wrote:
He said that ootake and me don't have this option. Hook up via TV-out, and they still won't have such an option.
Let me see if I can help here. The "act" of hooking your computer up to a TV via composite output REMOVES the need for creating a composite palette option.

On the other hand, some of us may just want to avoid the hassle and just have the composite palette mimiced on our RGB monitors.
Mednafen
Rookie

Post by Mednafen »

FirebrandX wrote: Let me see if I can help here. The "act" of hooking your computer up to a TV via composite output REMOVES the need for creating a composite palette option.
Nonsense! Though perhaps it would alleviate(to the untrained eye) the need for composite artifact emulation if you like crappy video, it won't "fix" the colors, unless your video card happens to have an RGB->YCbCr conversion function that exactly mimics the decades-old poor-precision one in the VCE. :b
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Just explaining funkyass's point, not agreeing with it.

Besides that, I remember doing some wire work and making my own RGB cables for the Turbgrafx back in the early 90's. This was to avoid the crappy composite output. I also remember my Neo Geo has VERY crappy composite output issues as well.
85cocoa
Hazed

Post by 85cocoa »

A couple of possible bugs:
1) In Chris Covell's Axelay demo for SuperGrafx (link here), there is supposed to be a raster gradient effect at the top of the screen which in Turbo Engine 16 just shows up as black.
2) While the previously mentioned demo is running, load Bonk's Adventure (U). The background of the title screen (which is supposed to be a dark blue) shows up as black, and the sky in-game also wrongly shows up as black. There is no problem with this game under other usage scenarios.
I am certain that I am using the "Load PCE/TGX16 ROM" and "Load SuperGrafx ROM" menu items correctly.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Yep, those are bugs. I'll look into them a bit later. Thanks for the report :) .
Aladar

Post by Aladar »

Mednafen wrote:Aladar, you used the Y, R-Y, B-Y tables formula in patent 5389949, correct? I assume you cross-referenced it with patent 5059955?
Yes.
Note: the rounding method described in the patent US 5389949 is wrong,
probably an error of translation from the Japanese.

Mednafen, if you want, you can include my code(all or any part) in your emulator.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I don't see anything wrong at my end on sky. Using stable version from website. TurboEngine16_02

Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Dullaron wrote:I don't see anything wrong at my end on sky. Using stable version from website. TurboEngine16_02

You have to load the Axely Demo first. After that load Bonk's Adventure and background will appear black.
Mednafen
Rookie

Post by Mednafen »

Aladar wrote:Mednafen, if you want, you can include my code(all or any part) in your emulator.
I think I'll just go with custom colormap loading for now, it's less invasive, and more flexible.

Though, I will change the math Mednafen uses to calculate grayscale color to be closer to the official formula.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Yep I see now.

Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
85cocoa
Hazed

Post by 85cocoa »

BTW, the issue of interfering with the colors in Bonk's Adventures seems to happen with any SuperGrafx game (I have now tested with Dai Makaimura, 1941: Counter Attack, and Darius Plus).

Also, the emulator crashes if you exit it while while Street Fighter II': Champion Edition is running.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?
Mednafen
Rookie

Post by Mednafen »

Feature added, knock yourself out AamirM. ;)
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Mednafen wrote:Feature added, knock yourself out AamirM. ;)
Nice, I'll add the same feature too so people can use the same palette is both emus. :)

Btw, when does this 0.8.x series will end? I am waiting for 0.9.0 :P .
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

in other news another new PC Engine emu just started up

http://www.webalice.it/cicciopetito/

and another version of Ootake is out (suprise, suprise)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

in other news another new PC Engine emu just started up
Yes, and whose author is already here :P .