Regen question

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

ZH/Franky

Regen question

Post by ZH/Franky »

I want to disable sound:
I go to sound>disable sound
but that disables absolute everything.

Now, I understand that in games there's sound effects for things you do in the game (like when you jump in sonic the hedgehog), and sound for music that plays in the background.

I want to be able to mute only the back ground music, and not the sound effects.

The reason for this is that there's just something that's so "Michael Jackson" about the genesis, especially when I think about the Sonic games, so I want to listen to a lot of Michael Jackson music while playing Sonic the Hedgehog.

AamirM, is it possible to disable only background music and no other sounds?
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Its quite impossible to detect what channels are being used for background music and what for sound effects so its not possible to do this.

stay safe,

AamirM
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I imagine the closest thing you can get to turning off the background music would be to disable individual sound channels and hope you find one that doesn't kill the sound effects...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Regen question

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:I want to be able to mute only the back ground music, and not the sound effects.
You won't be able to do that in an SNES emu either. Sound hardware doesn't have a "voice only" or "music only" channel. They are all mixed in as intricate/integral part which makes it all seem relatively seamless.
Franky wrote:The reason for this is that there's just something that's so "Michael Jackson" about the genesis, especially when I think about the Sonic games, so I want to listen to a lot of Michael Jackson music while playing Sonic the Hedgehog.
There's some inherently funny about that comment alone.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Well, considering MJ was supposed to compose the music to Sonic 3, but didn't due to the child molestation accusations, and most of the music in Sonic 3 do kinda sound like a couple MJ songs... I wouldn't actually disagree with your statement. :)

And no, what you're asking isn't possible, Disable Sound disables all sound.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Ok guys, thank you for answering. I'll just disable all sound so I can listen to Michael Jackson while playing games. Not having sound effects is a small price to pay. :)
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

If you play Sonic 3, pay attention to two songs in particular;

Carnival Night Zone has a resemblance the MJ song Jam
The Credits has a resemblance the MJ song Stranger In Moscow
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Listen to Sonic 3 battle music too. Not only does it have the same pace, rythm, and general "feel" of a few Mj songs, there's even the "whaoaa" sound that MJ makes.

Listen to the song of the final stage in Sonic 3 aswell.

Even some of the songs in any of the 3 sonic games, that don't sound much like Michael Jackson music, are still "cool" in the same way that a lot of Michael Jackson songs are cool.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

That explains why I hear the "go" and "hey" vocals in the soundtrack...very strange indeed.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Franky wrote:I want to be able to mute only the back ground music, and not the sound effects.
You won't be able to do that in an SNES emu either. Sound hardware doesn't have a "voice only" or "music only" channel. They are all mixed in as intricate/integral part which makes it all seem relatively seamless.
But things get muddier in the Genesis, since it has two different sound chips.

In some games, like Sonic, the PSG was used for sound effects and the FM synth for music(I think there's a few sound effects on the FM synth anyways, but pbbbbth). So disabling the YM2612 SOMETIMES gets the effect he's looking for. It's also the principle behind the old GYM music format, which just logged the YM2612 activity.

Of course, some games use the FM synth for sound effects too. Even effects that had no business being there.
And I'm pretty sure some games have part of the music on the PSG.

It IS fun to turn parts of the Genesis off and see what happens, though. I did that with an emu once.
Proved rather conclusively that there was no way they removed the Z80 from the Genesis 3, despite what the internet thinks. :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

why couldn't you have posted this in the Regen sticky...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

In some games, like Sonic, the PSG was used for sound effects and the FM synth for music(I think there's a few sound effects on the FM synth anyways, but pbbbbth). So disabling the YM2612 SOMETIMES gets the effect he's looking for. It's also the principle behind the old GYM music format, which just logged the YM2612 activity.

Of course, some games use the FM synth for sound effects too. Even effects that had no business being there.

It IS fun to turn parts of the Genesis off and see what happens, though. I did that with an emu once.
Proved rather conclusively that there was no way they removed the Z80 from the Genesis 3, despite what the internet thinks. :)
...WHO IN THE HELL SAID THE Z80- WAS REMOPVED THE FUCKING SYSTEM WOULDN'T HAVE WORKED WITH OUT IT
[PDSKF;LAD'KG
;ADFG KILL AND RAPE IDIOTSD
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

...WHO IN THE HELL SAID THE Z80- WAS REMOPVED THE FUCKING SYSTEM WOULDN'T HAVE WORKED WITH OUT IT
[PDSKF;LAD'KG
No, it won't work without the 68000.

You get glitches of varying degrees of severity without the Z80.
I think it was Gens that would let you disable individual parts of the sound system(where the Z80 officially resides).

And it's a common belief that the Z80 was removed from the Genesis 2 and/or 3. Surprised you never heard it before.

Origin seems to be along the lines of "Well, the Master System adapter doesn't work with the Genesis 2, and the Z80 is required for backwards-compatibility, so..."
Of course, the Master System adapter DOES work with the Genny2 if you cut the tab that interferes with the rear-panel connectors off.

And the Genesis 3 REALLY doesn't work with the Master System adapter.
Or with the 32x.
Or Virtua Racing.
So the masses concluded the Z80 was REALLY gone this time, and it was needed for the 32x and Virtua Racing to work. Don't ask me why.
Some even backported it, and started claiming the 32x and Virtua Racing didn't work on Genesis 2s(what the hell?).

Of course, the reason Master System games don't work is they removed support for the legacy video mode. And the 32x/VR won't go because Majesco didn't hook up the clock pins on the cart slot, if I recall.

And it doesn't help that the Z80 was integrated into a custom Sega chip on the Genesis 2, so you can't point to a single black block on the board and say "Look! It says Z80 right there!"
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

[PDSKF;LAD'KG
No, it won't work without the 68000.

You get glitches of varying degrees of severity without the Z80.
I think it was Gens that would let you disable individual parts of the sound system(where the Z80 officially resides).

And it's a common belief that the Z80 was removed from the Genesis 2 and/or 3. Surprised you never heard it before.

Origin seems to be along the lines of "Well, the Master System adapter doesn't work with the Genesis 2, and the Z80 is required for backwards-compatibility, so..."
Of course, the Master System adapter DOES work with the Genny2 if you cut the tab that interferes with the rear-panel connectors off.

And the Genesis 3 REALLY doesn't work with the Master System adapter.
Or with the 32x.
Or Virtua Racing.
So the masses concluded the Z80 was REALLY gone this time, and it was needed for the 32x and Virtua Racing to work. Don't ask me why.
Some even backported it, and started claiming the 32x and Virtua Racing didn't work on Genesis 2s(what the hell?).

Of course, the reason Master System games don't work is they removed support for the legacy video mode. And the 32x/VR won't go because Majesco didn't hook up the clock pins on the cart slot, if I recall.

And it doesn't help that the Z80 was integrated into a custom Sega chip on the Genesis 2, so you can't point to a single black block on the board and say "Look! It says Z80 right there!"
I'm pretty sure my original response also applies to this post.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Both the 68000 and Z80 have full access to YM2612, so if one wants they can use any of these for driving sound. Of course, nearly all games use Z80 for the sound and 68000 for graphics and other stuff (and the way it was intended). Sonic 1 is one game I remember that uses 68000 for sound. Z80 can be completely disabled but sound will still be there (but some effects will be missing) in that game. IIRC, Gens let you disable different channels of YM2612 (which are 6) and PSG and not the Z80 itself. AFAIK, Genesis 2 had Z80 integrated in some chip. I've even heard that it has different timings from the original. Music in Hellfile is fast/slow (can't remember) compared to the original due to this.

stay safe,

AamirM
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:why couldn't you have posted this in the Regen sticky...
likely because he's a fucking moron.
my patience for him has been completely exhausted.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
I'm pretty sure my original response also applies to this post.[/quote]
I read it differently than you meant it, then.
I read it as "won't work at all" as opposed to "won't work right"
AamirM wrote:Hi,

Both the 68000 and Z80 have full access to YM2612, so if one wants they can use any of these for driving sound. Of course, nearly all games use Z80 for the sound and 68000 for graphics and other stuff (and the way it was intended). Sonic 1 is one game I remember that uses 68000 for sound. Z80 can be completely disabled but sound will still be there (but some effects will be missing) in that game. IIRC, Gens let you disable different channels of YM2612 (which are 6) and PSG and not the Z80 itself. AFAIK, Genesis 2 had Z80 integrated in some chip. I've even heard that it has different timings from the original. Music in Hellfile is fast/slow (can't remember) compared to the original due to this.

stay safe,

AamirM
Yeah, Genny 2 has the integrated Z80. Well, I've heard early Genny2s had a discrete Z80, but... mine doesn't. :P

I know one of the former "big three" let you kill the Z80. I just don't remember if it was Ages or Gens. I know it wasn't Kega, because that one's installed right now and I checked. I'm just not feeling up to downloading Gens and Ages just to check.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: I read it differently than you meant it, then.

I know one of the former "big three" let you kill the Z80. I just don't remember if it was Ages or Gens. I know it wasn't Kega, because that one's installed right now and I checked. I'm just not feeling up to downloading Gens and Ages just to check.

I was referring more to the crazy ranting/wishing horrible, horrible things on stupid, stupid people when I said i'm pretty sure my original response also applies to this post.

Also, it's Gens. I used to fuck around with that for the same reason Franky was trying to, actually.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I have a copy of gens installed on my machine. You're saying that I can get what I was looking for with my original question in this thread?

I'll give it a try.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

it'll be fun when it comes back here to report that the emulator stops functioning properly when it tries this
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: I read it differently than you meant it, then.

I was referring more to the crazy ranting/wishing horrible, horrible things on stupid, stupid people when I said i'm pretty sure my original response also applies to this post.

Also, it's Gens. I used to fuck around with that for the same reason Franky was trying to, actually.
Oh.

Well, I'm apparently incapable of parsing the english language. So I'll shut up now.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

sweener2001 wrote:it'll be fun when it comes back here to report that the emulator stops functioning properly when it tries this

>.>

<.<

I can't believe I'm doing this(As in defending Franky), but it actually works not too bad in some games. I only turned off the Z80 once(Got a crash...), but the other sound related functions won't crash the emulator if you turn them off.

At least they won't in Shinobi 3.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
I can't believe I'm doing this(As in defending Franky), but it actually works not too bad in some games. I only turned off the Z80 once(Got a crash...), but the other sound related functions won't crash the emulator if you turn them off.
Try Lost Vikings. That shouldn't run. If it is, then Gens is faking Z80 rather than disabling it.

stay safe,

AamirM