Making UPS from IPS? tsukuyomi

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Making UPS from IPS? tsukuyomi

Post by franpa »

What do I put in the "Original File" and "Modified File" fields? I am trying to convert the Parralel Worlds IPS to a UPS so I can play it on BSNES.

EDIT: Do I need a copy of the Original ROM + A copy of the ROM with the IPS applied and put them there? the "tsukuyomi" file does not help since I can't read it in either notepad or wordpad...
Last edited by franpa on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

IPS and UPS are a way to efficiently store the differences between a modified and original file. Starting with the original and modified files, you can create a patch. Once you have the patch, you can take the original file and recreate the modified file. As long as you have the IPS patch and the original file, you can recreate the modified file, then create a UPS patch.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Ok, so my edit above, is correct in what I must do?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

franpa wrote:Ok, so my edit above, is correct in what I must do?
Here is the correct method for creating a UPS from ips

Step 1
-Get the correct rom for the IPS
-Patch the rom with the IPS
-Remove header if the rom had/needed a header

Step 2
-Make sure the unpatched rom is headerless too.
-Input the headerless-unpatched rom into "Original File"
-Input the headerless-patched rom into "Modified File"
-Give the patch a meaninfull name and click "Create Patch"

PS:
For best results try to use verfied roms, check your rom with No-intro to see if its correct.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Ok, thanks for the very informative and easy to follow instructions.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Sorry to bump old topic, but since this is about the only relevant result on google for "IPS UPS convert", thought I would post a link to the actual goddamn tool used here:
EDIT: http://byuu.org/programming/
http://byuu.org/files/tsukuyomi_v01.zip

Lunar IPS works well for the first step of applying the .ips patch to the original ROM:
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/
Last edited by dfreer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Why get it off a third party site? http://byuu.org/programming/

Given how often I post new builds of it, you'd want to check there to make sure you have the latest version.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

ahhh lololol

Because I went straight for your site first, not knowing what the program was called at first and I couldn't find it (overlooked the description somehow). Then I spent 15 minutes looking elsewhere on the interweb *facepalm*

Edited my original post and thanks ;) Looks like I still needed a program to apply the .ips patch to the original ROM, Lunar IPS seems to work well.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I updated my first post so you can click the image and also be taken to the correct part of Byuus website.