Suggestions for best C64 and Atari800 emulator

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Suggestions for best C64 and Atari800 emulator

Post by Panzer88 »

I'm looking for the best C64 and Atari800 emulators (and other legacy systems for that matter, there are just a few games on those systems that my brother used to love to play and he is visiting for the weekend so I was gonna try to get them so he can re-live his childhood days of games.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

)

I really don't know, I always used whatever I could find, doesn't MAME do that stuff or MESS or something.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I hear that CCS64 is one of the best. Don't know anything about Atari800 emulators, though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Suggestions for best C64 and Atari800 emulator

Post by grinvader »

Panzer88 wrote:can re-live his childhood days of games.
I suggest a magnum bottle of schnapps.

Can't go wrong with that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

If you have AT LEAST a high end C2D, Hoxs64 (sp?) is the best C64 emulator. Mainly due to the extreme level of cycle accuracy its so intensive.....
byuu

Post by byuu »

h4tred wrote:If you have AT LEAST a high end C2D, Hoxs64 (sp?) is the best C64 emulator. Mainly due to the extreme level of cycle accuracy its so intensive.....
That's ridiculous!! The C64 was just a 1.02MHz machine. How can it take a processor that's 2,000x more powerful to emulate it? Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(

It's also not Free Software ... and it doesn't even have save states! WTF??
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

h4tred

Post by h4tred »

byuu wrote:That's ridiculous!! The C64 was just a 1.02MHz machine. How can it take a processor that's 2,000x more powerful to emulate it?
Easy.
Hoxs64 website wrote: * Cycle based CPU, CIA, VIC and SID.
* 1541 Disk drive.
* Tape deck.
* Full screen mode.
* Configurable keyboard and joystick.
* TAP PRG P00 D64 G64 FDI T64 file support.
Everything is cycle (or even subcycle) based. Including the graphics chips. The SID ain't bad considering reSID does a nice job doing a cycle accurate emulating of it.

Not to be mean, but if this requires a C2D for everything done per cycle, I can't begin to fathom when you start the cycle accurate PPU for your emu. No offense.
Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed?
Not a asshole, just someone who has a extreme amount of time on thier hands to put that much effort into accuracy.
byuu

Post by byuu »

h4tred wrote:Easy ... Not to be mean, but if this requires a C2D for everything done per cycle, I can't begin to fathom when you start the cycle accurate PPU for your emu. No offense ... Not a asshole, just someone who has a extreme amount of time on thier hands to put that much effort into accuracy.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

seriously, you two are like the odd couple.

@op: i've never had any issues with atari800win.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
byuu

Post by byuu »

odditude wrote:seriously, you two are like the odd couple.
I'm Felix :D
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

i've never had any issues with atari800win.
Nice. Been looking for decent Atari/Amiga emus myself, since theres heaps of decent demoscene stuff around for them. Seeing what those crazy buggers do is insane.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i grew up with an a400 (which was replaced by a 130xe), so it's all pure nostalgia for me.

archon on atari 8-bit = pure, unadulterated win.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Atari800Win++ is still the best Atari 8bit emu, far as I know.

Unless you wanna play the 5200 instead of the computers. Then it's incredibly frustrating, and hackish beyond belief. UGH!
</tangent>
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Atari800Win++ is still the best Atari 8bit emu, far as I know.

Unless you wanna play the 5200 instead of the computers. Then it's incredibly frustrating, and hackish beyond belief. UGH!
</tangent>
So has anyone made a decent 5200 emu yet? I think this was the last one I used, and it was pretty much the best I could find at the time.
~Bent
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

odditude wrote:seriously, you two are like the odd couple.

@op: i've never had any issues with atari800win.
durr says odditude
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

byuu wrote:That's ridiculous!! The C64 was just a 1.02MHz machine. How can it take a processor that's 2,000x more powerful to emulate it? Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(
Thats because:

:P
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Bent wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Atari800Win++ is still the best Atari 8bit emu, far as I know.

</tangent>
So has anyone made a decent 5200 emu yet? I think this was the last one I used, and it was pretty much the best I could find at the time.
I think the last time I bothered, I just used MESS.

It's frustrating because the emulation is all there. Someone just has to care enough to write some functional input code..