what's wrong with SnesGT???

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

vanfanel
Rookie

what's wrong with SnesGT???

Post by vanfanel »

hello there

nowadays, I find SnesGT is the best available snes emulator: perfect timming for sound (something zsnes and snes9x lack and causes music to sound out-of-perfecct sync: try Mario World), great compatibility and perfect-synced graphics in full screen, etc.. (BSNES is accurate but slow as hell, totally unplayable in my Core2Duo MAC)

however, I've tried 0.230 betas 5 and 6, and I find they have bad, clicky sound even on a Core2Duo machine!! I know they aimed for accuracy, but...those betas are unable to keep on with a small sound buffer in an Atom or Core2DUO machine, they perform equally bad.
So, what's going on with this emulator?? it has been a year or so since it last updated, and those cheesy betas...
Spanish third republic NOW!
Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

I also think that it's been quite a while since the latest beta release, but trust me, this emulator is alive and kicking (I've checked the emulator's board recently, and it seems to contain recent reports about bugs and feature requests). We just have to be pacient, I understand we're always looking forward for the next release of a great emulator, but first we must understand that programers are human just like us and have a real life to manage.

As for your clicking problems, I don't think it's a problem with the betas since everything works fine on my end, try updating all your hardware to the latest drivers (and DirectX too), especially the sound card.
vanfanel
Rookie

Post by vanfanel »

I am using the latest DirectX available for my OS (Windows XP, only because of SnesGT), thats dx 9.0c.

I am using the latest controllers from Intel for my graphics & video chips (Azalia ALC 888 and GMA950).

The betas work well IF you leave a large sound buffer. however, that's NOT desired for reasons you should know. Those betas, in the same hardware, are slower. And NO, I am not eagerly waiting for a release.
I just wanted to know what's going on with the emu and why those faulty betas.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Hmm, if bsnes is slow on a core 2 duo then I'm more wondering whether something is wrong, or if it's a lower-end core 2 duo. Maybe some crappy virus or whatever. It could also be the cause of your audio problems in snesgt.
vanfanel
Rookie

Post by vanfanel »

No: I know EVERY little process running in my minimal Windows setup. In fact, it only runs system-critical processes to support emulators. I don't even go online with that crappy OS. I've got OSX and Gentoo Linux for that... (and it's running NATIVELY, not under vmware/parellels).

I can uders tand why Bsnes is so slow: I understand it's approach toward accurate, cycle-exact emulation, but I don't need that to play.
My computer is a MAC BOOK with the Santa Rosa core2duo cpu at 2 Ghz.
Low end? A macbook? Heh

On the OSX port, bsnes is equally slow for a lot of games.
No, thats not the cause. Those betas are f***ed.
byuu

Post by byuu »

So you're triple booting to run SNESGT on Windows, then? That's gotta be a hassle.

This is obviously of no help to you, but:

The E4600 is a butchered Core 2 with half the cache of the normal chips. If you're getting less than 112fps average, then something is definitely wrong. I'd venture a wild guess it's something to do with Direct3D.

I'd recommend SNESGT to you (well, any non-developer) anyway (SFX+SA-1+BS-X+savestates, 3x faster). The SNESGT betas are unstable as he's re-writing a lot of the low-level stuff. I'm sure the next official release will be fine, and the old releases still work well enough.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Betas can be faulty. Thats why they are called "betas". :P
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

vanfanel wrote: Low end? A macbook? Heh
Yes, low-end Macs exist. Just because they COST like a high-end IBM clone doesn't mean they ARE a high-end IBM clone.

Anyways, you've done something wrong if a 2-GHz dual-core Core 2 is choking, as byuu noted.

Hell, I can run bSNES greater than full-speed on an E2140(my random survey can't find a game that drops below 90).
Admittedly it's an E2140 overclocked to 2.4GHz, but it's still a 2140.
There's no reason a 2GHz Merom should be left THAT far behind.

Especially given my XP install has about a half-dozen apps in the background(2 IM clients, 1 IRC client, 1 browser window, 1 bittorrent client, plus a systray app or two) and has not been optimized at all.

Either you have a severe hardware deficiency you're not aware of, or your Windows config is bungled somewhere.

Also: Do you have the latest VERSION of DirectX 9.0c.
Don't ask why, as I can't explain it, but MS does bi-monthly DirectX updates without incrementing the version number.
You actually have to go and download an updated installer manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

BTW, don't be surprised if SA-1 games make that 2140 choke. I got a 2160 that I OCed to 3 GHZ and SMRPG has some speed problems...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:BTW, don't be surprised if SA-1 games make that 2140 choke. I got a 2160 that I OCed to 3 GHZ and SMRPG has some speed problems...
You mean... I can't play SRW Gaiden???
You make me sad.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

*shrug*

Maybe it'll work better on a final build...
byuu

Post by byuu »

I just finished (hopefully) fixing the last bugs today. So I haven't started optimizing yet. The final release should be a good bit faster, plus another +15% for profiling the code.

SNESGT is still a great choice for SA-1, it seems to run all 26 games correctly from my tests.
vanfanel
Rookie

Post by vanfanel »

The last redistributable installer from MicroSoft is dated august 2008, but they explicitly note that those monthly updates are included...how can that be? Aren't there any updates for DX 9.0c since 2008??

I am not connected to internet al home (yeah, I know: but I am sharing home and my floormates are just too stupid to benefit from having internet at home so they just don't want it), so I've to use this redistributable thing.... is it updated?

EDIT: has someone tested SnesGT on WINE? I would be happy to take Windows out of my machines once and for all.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

the latest redistributable can be found @
NEXT TIME I'LL USE A TINYURL
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
byuu

Post by byuu »

Screw their WGA, latest version is November 2008:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... redist.exe
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu, there's a more recent version, but it's axed 2k support, but that's not new news...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

march 2009 is the latest... did you check my link at all Byuu?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
byuu

Post by byuu »

Deathlike2: so there is ... neat. Will have to get the non-WGA link for that one.

franpa: Firefox kept telling me that "NEXT TIME I'LL USE A TINYURL" was not a valid website.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

byuu wrote:Deathlike2: so there is ... neat. Will have to get the non-WGA link for that one.

franpa: Firefox kept telling me that "NEXT TIME I'LL USE A TINYURL" was not a valid website.
Apparently someone edited his post.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

You don't say.
I bring the trouble.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:You don't say.
adventures_in_obvious strikes again.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I could have used a tinyurl, but that would have obscured where the link takes you to (not a fan of obscurity on the internet). I could also have linked directly to the latest redistribution, but chose to use the link that redirects to the latest version instead (so that the link stays pointing to the latest when updates come out etc.).
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Also, IIRC you can use tinyurl's reasurrance thing, which previews the site..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:I could have used a tinyurl, but
OBJECTION DENIED
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54