what's wrong with SnesGT???

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Speedstepping anyone?.... i know it isn't a problem for everyone... but if any app is effected adversely by it, its usually an emulator....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Core 2 Duo doesn't have issues with its speed throttling. RDTSC always clocks at a constant rate. QueryPerformanceCounter should also be clocking at a constant rate.

I don't know about Atom, though.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

what's wrong with SnesGT???
-No cheat system
-No gamma correction
-No justifier support
-Some games are buggy
-Menu and config lack refinement

Otherwise, it's not too bad. I used it a ton back in the day.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

FitzRoy wrote:I used it a ton back in the day.
Back in the day?... I only ever heard about it about two years ago, and I started with VSMC & Snes96 :S
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

kode54 wrote:Core 2 Duo doesn't have issues with its speed throttling. RDTSC always clocks at a constant rate. QueryPerformanceCounter should also be clocking at a constant rate.

I don't know about Atom, though.
Thats not always true. Speedstepping can and does cause fps issues in a number of emulators. (epsxe). especially more so on multicore cpu's.

RDTSC does not account for everything....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

DOLLS (J) [!] wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:I used it a ton back in the day.
Back in the day?... I only ever heard about it about two years ago, and I started with VSMC & Snes96 :S
That's way back in the day. I'm talking like 4 years ago.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FitzRoy wrote:>>way back in the day
>>like 4 years ago
hahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahaahaa

gahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

???

How is "back in the day" not applicable to 4 years ago for me when I've been around for maybe 6 and snesgt probably the same? Obviously, if you were someone who's been using snes emulators since 1996, you wouldn't use that expression yourself. But 4 years isn't 4 days and you're not the one using it.

To elaborate, I was 12 years old in 1996, bought my first computer when I was 16, and then used a copier for a few years before getting into emulators because emulation at that time was pretty terrible. So congrats on being hardcore enough to favor buggy gameplay for 8 years. I'm sure you've been eagerly waiting to tell the story, only to find that most people today consider that period's development relevant but usage irrelevant.

"Damn scrub talking about 4 years ago like it was a long time! Haw haw haw! I walked 10 miles through the snow and played snes96 at 20fps with a 3% compatibility rate! Polish my nuts, boy!"
byuu

Post by byuu »

FitzRoy wrote:I walked 10 miles through the snow and played snes96 at 20fps with a 3% compatibility rate!
You haven't lived until you've experienced an 8-bit Mode-X emulator with no transparencies, loud horrible buzzing for wind / noise effects, a tile renderer that breaks all HDMA scanline effects, and absolutely fucked background layering. "I don't think that tree is supposed to go through that textbox ..." We even used to have ROM patches to "fix" the layering in games, it was great.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

byuu wrote:You haven't lived until you've experienced an 8-bit Mode-X emulator [...], a tile renderer that breaks all HDMA scanline effects
Sounds like genecyst. :)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

creaothceann wrote:
byuu wrote:You haven't lived until you've experienced an 8-bit Mode-X emulator [...], a tile renderer that breaks all HDMA scanline effects
Except that it didn't emulate SNES (and HDMA). :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

it was great.
Polish my nuts, boy!
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I love those old war time stories.

The funny thing is, I actually walked to school with snow 6 feet on the ground when I was younger. And I ain't that old :(
But then again, a relative of mine celebrated their 78 anniversary of their birthday today, so perhaps I am an old.
Last edited by Nach on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by grinvader »

Nach wrote:And I ain't that old :(
Hahahahaha

hahahaha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:....We even used to have ROM patches to "fix" the layering in games, it was great.
Mmmm, NESticle.

I'm no fun. I got in around 1999, after transparency and shit was emulated and there were hacks to fake wind and running water instead of the hideous banshee wail.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

zsnes 1.26-ish for me
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

ZSNES 1.36 for me, I did see and use a 0.9 version iirc but that was when it was given to me, introducing me to the world of emulation. after I got it I looked it up on the net and got the latest which was 1.36 iirc and blew away the people that gave it to me by turning on transparency :P (which was in the 0.9 version but there computer was like a pentium 90... they spent most of the time in DOS running no$gb or zsnes* (*8bit display).
Last edited by franpa on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

creaothceann wrote:
Genecyst actually worked quite decently on a few games...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Yeah... just saying that it reminded me of it.

The Genesis uses only 64 colors iirc, so there are fewer problems than with using 8-bit modes for SNES emulation.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

creaothceann wrote:Yeah... just saying that it reminded me of it.

The Genesis uses only 64 colors iirc, so there are fewer problems than with using 8-bit modes for SNES emulation.
Actually, it was possible to get all 512 colors on the display at once.

But yeah, for most purposes, 256-color mode was MORE than adequate.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Wasn't that possible only with voodoo trickery?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:Wasn't that possible only with voodoo trickery?
It's possible on real hardware, and real games used it.

Whether it's voodoo trickery or not is irrelevant.

Hooray for raster effects!
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

While we're sharing old emulation hardship memories, I have to share the memory of playing that crippled yellow colored demo version of VSMC when it came out. Man was that awful. It was like 'It's totally awesome we're making progress on SNES emulation' and then you start it up and 'Ummm.. this sucks...'.

Thankfully ESNES, Super Pasofami, and SNES96 came about not long after. SNES emulation was so new and so awesome then. I can momentarily recapture the feeling thinking back to first experiencing them. I never would of thought it would end up taking so long to get to the level we've only just reached in recent times on SNES emulation.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

I don't remember how long ago this was (must have been the late 90s) or what ZSNES version but when I got into emulation transparency definitely didn't work correctly. IIRC I first encountered the Zboards when trying to figure out how to see anything while playing Chrono Trigger (in the section with moving transparent fog inside the ruined dome cities.) There was a big explanation in the forums on how to turn off different BG layers so you could see anything (was probably a sticky.)

I also remember the wind "shrieking static" effect and the more recent "Square Sound Rape" that was finally resolved by Blargg's sound core.

Heh, back then my family had dial-up so I would go to my brother's dorm room at the local university to use his amazing internet connection to download emulators and roms.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

Palin wrote:I also remember the wind "shrieking static" effect
ah, the classic 'errornous sound' emulation.

now, only a select limited spc player that provides option to play it as errornous as early emulator does.

... uuuwweeeeeee eeeew.... *repeats*