How can one find a certain hex value in an N64 game?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

How can one find a certain hex value in an N64 game?

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, so, I want to find a way to modify character/boss sizes in Castlevania LOD by using a program called LemAsm (I know, it's old, but I haven't been able to find anything good with google). There is a hex edit mode, and what I want to know is, how is one supposed to find what value(s) you need to change? Is there a better program or way to do this?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

From my rudimentary understanding of the concept, you record the values before you take an action, then after the action you record what hex has changed. For example, take a copy of the hex before and after you hit a boss and compare which values changed to identify which value is associated with its hitpoints total.

The rest is just trial and error.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

What I mean is, how could one change the size of an enemy in that game; would that be too hard to do?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Oh, that's something entirely different.

You'll need to extract the 3D model of the enemy you want to resize in the game and alter it with a 3D modeling program.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

you would need to learn a bit about n64 hardware and programming. google it, find something like this or better. read the cpu and memory mapping portions. I'm sure some n64 emus have memory viewers and can log to an output file. use one, start logging code from when a boss is not on screen, and hopefully not even in memory yet. then move to the point where he gets loaded into memory, or worst case on screen. then you can stop logging. read through the asm output (it would look like this if it were snes asm, look about halfway down for some cheaply commented code), and figure out how the model was loaded to memory from the cartridge (good luck). convert those memory locations to physical file locations. then you can use lemasm to change whatever you can figure out. yeah I know "not gonna happen" right. maybe start simpler like changing the "MARIO" in the nes game to "NERD".
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I.S.T. wrote:Oh, that's something entirely different.

You'll need to extract the 3D model of the enemy you want to resize in the game and alter it with a 3D modeling program.
Do they even have one for N64 games?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I am afraid my knowledge runs thin here. I'm not sure if a generic modeling program would work, or if you'd need a specialized one.

Look up N64 hacking, you'll find the answers you need.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Perhaps ask the guys/gals that made toad's tool.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Would it be a similar process like those hackers that made the Super Smash Bros Brawl cheat codes for the Ocarina cheat software? I thought they just pinpointed the hex values and experimented with them until the found the the ones for 0.5, 1.0 1.5.....4.0 size variables. Or did they do it some other way?
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

In that case I'm assuming that the game already had a "scale" variable that changed the way the renderer worked.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Hmm...like when a character touches a poison or normal mushroom? Crud, this sounds harder than it seems. Aren't there guides on how to experiment/extract Castlevania LOD models?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

To add onto phonymike's post, N64 games upload custom video operations to the n64 hardware.

You have to get used to the custom functions used in the game itself to know what variable means what on the actual video output.
Only then the the debugger log will actually mean something.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Are there any programs out there that can help with find out what goes to what? What kind of debugger would I need? Or rather, do any of these tools exist on romhacking.net and/or zophar.net (or related)? Hmmm...getting used to those custom functions will take time to get used to like you just said. Another challenge for me to face....
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Your best bet is to get in touch with the 64 emu scene.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Alright, I'll check out places like emuxhaven or something like that....
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Or RHDN. :roll:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

All I saw on RHDN were game specific utilities for these.
So, there you have it. I wish there was a way to see the hex values and change them.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yes, but there forum might have an active n64 section that discusses more then what is on the website.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You also want to have a look at the documentation instead of plain utilities.
Especially when there's a document for exactly what you want to do (for SM64, so you only have to apply a similar recipe for the castlevania custom video routines).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcKg-ixKhoE

yeah dude, even the kids on youtube can do it.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]