bsnes upx vs 7z

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Y~K
Hazed

bsnes upx vs 7z

Post by Y~K »

can't be bothered to create an account for this one post in byuu boards so I post it here, please paste over there/contact byuu:

Code: Select all

bsnes_upx: 2,725,917 bytes (upx'ed)
bsnes_raw: 6,826,013 bytes
bsnes_7za: 2,470,310 bytes (7z auto extractible)
so now a 7z auto extractible binany is smaller than upx'd one
and once extracteed it does not useas much memory as upx'd binary

7z = win+win = double win
byuu

Post by byuu »

This should at least go under "Emulators" and not ZSNES talk :/

If you just tried to register at my forum, I apologize but my anti-spam board settings automatically rejected it.
It appeared to be using both a fake e-mail and a proxy server. I'm not going to approve requests like that, because I don't want untraceable impersonators.
I'll manually make you an account if you need to use the proxy and don't have e-mail.

The problem I have with a self-extractor is that it needs to be extracted before it can be run. One extra step for a very small savings. If I haven't said so already, I really, really like the uTorrent model. Download, run, go.

That said, I may go your route eventually. I'll need to in order to include the Super Game Boy DLL if and when that's ready.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Also, upx'ed only uses more memory when starting Bsnes, not while it is running.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Ok I'm confuse here about bsnes_7za.

How did you compress into 7za?
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
byuu

Post by byuu »

I have a fun idea: let's pretend we already had this conversation.

Instead, how about we debate something else never before brought up? How about, "why is bsnes so slow?", or "accuracy that games don't rely on is pointless", or even "why doesn't bsnes have save states? I have a great idea that's so incredibly simple that I'm not even going to attempt a working example."

Oh, or we can go totally off-topic. I bet nobody here has ever debated the pros and cons of a raster-based GUI like ZSNES as opposed to a common-control based GUI like Snes9X! We should discuss that instead! And did anybody notice that Super Mario RPG is having problems in ZSNES v1.51? Should we make a separate topic for that?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Can has Super GameBoy support in teh zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)?
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Can has Super GameBoy support in teh zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)?
U know there already iz...
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:I have a fun idea: let's pretend we already had this conversation.

Instead, how about we debate something else never before brought up? How about, "why is bsnes so slow?", or "accuracy that games don't rely on is pointless", or even "why doesn't bsnes have save states? I have a great idea that's so incredibly simple that I'm not even going to attempt a working example."

Oh, or we can go totally off-topic. I bet nobody here has ever debated the pros and cons of a raster-based GUI like ZSNES as opposed to a common-control based GUI like Snes9X! We should discuss that instead! And did anybody notice that Super Mario RPG is having problems in ZSNES v1.51? Should we make a separate topic for that?
You jumped quite a bit in the rankings right there.

Nice job. Keep up the good work.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

ShadowFX wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Can has Super GameBoy support in teh zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)?
Incorrect.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

funkyass wrote:I DEMAND A RECOUNT!
Did your butterfly ballot cause a hanging chad?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I read that Fluffy Ballot at first.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

DOLLS (J) [!] wrote:
ShadowFX wrote:
Incorrect.
Prove it.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

ShadowFX wrote:
DOLLS (J) [!] wrote:
ShadowFX wrote:
Incorrect.
Prove it.
Well, DUH.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote: I'll need to in order to include the Super Game Boy DLL if and when that's ready.
Need it? Of course not!
You determine the size of the DLL, and put that number into your code, first time your binary is run, it opens itself and copies the last X bytes of the DLL size into a file.

After you create the exe, you append the DLL to it. So now you can have an exe which works right when you run it without intermediary steps, and also has the DLL.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

An "OH NOES" answer would have sufficed.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...