Best SNES emulator with netplay?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

elementalwindx

Best SNES emulator with netplay?

Post by elementalwindx »

What is the best emulator for the SNES so far that has the best least buggiest netplay?

ZSnes is soooo buggy with netplay and takes a lot of fine tuning to make it work. Also what was the point in disabling it in 1.5?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Shouldn't it be obvious? If the code was already bad as is, what difference would it have made to disable it? The netplay code wasn't even faring well in the first place, besides being linked to the movie code at the time.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
elementalwindx

Post by elementalwindx »

So is there a better snes emulator out there with the option to play over the net?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I advise some cheese.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Deathlike2 wrote:Shouldn't it be obvious? If the code was already bad as is, what difference would it have made to disable it? The netplay code wasn't even faring well in the first place, besides being linked to the movie code at the time.
Yeah, thinking back on all those years I spent using ZSNES's netplay flawlessly where it performed better than any other emulator netplay I've ever used, I'm surprised it took them THIS long to remove it!
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

1.337 works well even on crap connections... and 1.36 worked fine for a long time
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Those don't work on linux anymore.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

1.42n works in Linux.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Man, I've been hooked on bsnes.
At first it was like, whats the point, zsnes is beast
but like after i tried bsnes, it really does run closer to the actual Snes.
I wonder if it will ever have net play.
That would be nice..
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

ZSNES is still the king if you need frame relative input macros, and also if you need to fast forward the whole process, say to 30x realtime? I had to get my Soul Blazer game to level 50 in under 5 minutes somehow!

Yeah, it would be great if bsnes had netplay capability, and it's entirely possible it won't have the desync problems that zsnes currently has.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Mike wrote:but like after i tried bsnes, it really does run closer to the actual Snes.
It would be really, really depressing if it required 10x the resources and still didn't manage to have higher compatibility ;)
Mike wrote:I wonder if it will ever have net play.
The "easy" part is finding someone who knows how to use sockets to help make it happen. The "hard" part will be finding two people with powerful enough systems. IIRC, you need some extra headroom even above fullspeed for netplay synchronization.
kode54 wrote:ZSNES is still the king if you need frame relative input macros, and also if you need to fast forward the whole process, say to 30x realtime?
And for laptop battery life.

A lot of this stuff all correlates together: frame-relative input macros are a function of automated input, which is similar to movie playback and netplay input.
kode54 wrote:Yeah, it would be great if bsnes had netplay capability, and it's entirely possible it won't have the desync problems that zsnes currently has.
Definitely no desync issues in the core, I've been careful about that since day one. Would make bug testing much more frustrating.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

sockets are easy, they work like files.
what you need to do before you write and after you read from one is the hard part.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:I had to get my Soul Blazer game to level 50 in under 5 minutes somehow!
fuck you, man
i used to do that the long way

roughly 5 hours and 45 minutes of swish-swish-swish 12K exp every 2.5 seconds

the 4 times I played through the game to try and find a different ending
皆黙って俺について来い!!

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

grinvader wrote:
kode54 wrote:I had to get my Soul Blazer game to level 50 in under 5 minutes somehow!
fuck you, man
i used to do that the long way
So did I. My brother suggested the macro method, since that's what he's done before, heh.

Anyway, it's not like it really makes the end game much easier. It only speeds up the first part of the final boss, the second part is always dependent on number of successful hits, regardless of attack strength.

I suppose it does mean you have more HP to withstand more hits during the fight, though. Eh, whatever.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I seem to recall the Soulblazer boss wasn't too terrible, then again I was probably at the max level anyway. Been a long, long time. Need to replay that and IoG one of these days.

Now Ys 3 on the other hand, that's a hard mother fucker. I have to grind way, way past where you're supposed to. And even fully maxed out, I can't get past the third or fourth area without cheating >_<
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

not that it's a good game or anything, but some of the bosses in Lagoon are cheap beyond belief. i don't remember that big globe thing in the ice cave being anything more than an exercise in dumb luck.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.