OS/1 Emulators?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

OS/1 Emulators?

Post by badinsults »

I'm trying to find an OS/2 emulator. My google searches came up empty, with most results being emulators for OS/2. It is also likely there might not be an OS/2 emulator. I have an application that I suspect was designed for OS/2, and it definitely does not run in DOSBox (though I imagine this is because OS/2 came after DOS).
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I think VMWare supports OS/2
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

According to the Wikipedia page it doesn't.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

I've had friends who claimed to get OS/2 running under VMware, although I haven't seen it myself.

Apparently the problem is that most popular operating systems these days were designed to be at least slightly portable, and hence only use the sensible, common features of the x86 protection system (basically, a kernel mode and a user mode). OS/2 was never designed to be portable, and hence uses all kinds of crazy x86 tricks that most virtualisation tools don't support, since they're not necessary to get Windows or Linux running (or *BSD, or FreeDOS, or...).

There's a VMWare knowledge base article about getting OS/2 running on VMware.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Perhaps not VMware. Ok, try VirtualBox. Why bother with VMware when VirtualBox supports OS/2 natively?

Observe:
(click for fullscreen)
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

OK, so VirtualBox has "OS/2 Warp" in a drop-down list. The question is, does it actually work?
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I don't know, you'll have to test it ;)
The fact that it's there means it probably works.

See, http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes
OS/2 -- Works, with Additions -- Requires VT-x or AMD-V hardware virtualization support. Only MCP2 is reported to work reliably so far.