Best N64 emulator?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Best N64 emulator?

Post by darkbenny »

Been years since I tried N64 emulation, and I'd like to know which emu has evolved the most since then. Years ago I used Project64, but it doesn't seems to have been updated in ages.
bringing Zsnes back
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

bah, can this be moved to emulators plz
bringing Zsnes back
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Done.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

mupen is stable enough to rerecord on it, but there's been no improvement on base emu quality that I can see
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah I think it's pretty much stalled completely. project64 and 1964 are still the same version they were years ago. Mupen I guess is getting some progress, especially with emulation on new handhelds getting popular, and the closed, Windows-only nature of project64 and 1964. We'll see how this benefits mupen64 and emulators in alternate platforms overall.

Still a shame directx is so preferred when people write emulators, or much anything at all. Makes porting difficult, and the opengl/portable plugins are generally half-assed or nonexistent.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Or even worse, that the Glide64 plug-in is probably the most compatible plug-in available. How many people even still have Glide hardware installed in their primary system?
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

AFAIK, the glide plugin is just a wrapper. I don't think anyone expects someone to still be using a glide card.

N64 emulation is fine if all you want to play is the most popular stuff. I'd still use stock PJ64 if I didn't feel like experimenting with plug-in setting Yet Again.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

escapee wrote:AFAIK, the glide plugin is just a wrapper. I don't think anyone expects someone to still be using a glide card.
No, there's a GLIDE wrapper YOU have to install to use the GLIDE plugin.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Try Mupen64 PLUS, it has seen a fairly recent new release.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Project64 1.7 is still coming along believe it or not, although progress is slower than slow. We'll see a new public version within a decade. Probably.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

There has also been a tiny bit of work on 1964 since it went open source. The most interesting recent improvements I've seen are to do with LLE approaches that get a few troublesome games running, but very slowly of course.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Who will win? Zsnes 2.0 or project64 1.7? :D
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Who will win? Zsnes 2.0 or project64 1.7? :D
REAS 1.0, of course.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

http://moogle-tech.com/blog/ had some interesting posts, but the last N64-related one was more than a year ago...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:REAS 1.0, of course.
would you settle for a REAS 0.1a

and a klondike bar
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I'd also go with Mupen64Plus, they've been doing some good work over there. They're in beta for a pretty large refactoring of their codebase, and currently are working on a new GUI, but even the older version is very solid.

That said, I'm not sure what platform you wanted it for. I know the linux version works, and they're working on a windows re-port. Maybe a mac version as well, but who has the time to search the internet for information like that? Seriously.
I bring the trouble.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:REAS 1.0, of course.
would you settle for a REAS 0.1a

and a klondike bar
I'd play REAS 0.1a for a Klondike Bar.

Hell, I'd play ZSNES 0.800c for a Klondike Bar.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:I'd also go with Mupen64Plus, they've been doing some good work over there.
Is core emulation being worked on in this emulator? If so, source?
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

I BELIEVE core emulation may finally be being worked on, but I could be totally wrong. I don't know what you mean by you one-word "source?" question, so... it is open source? If you want to tinker with the code, you can.

If you meant something else by "source", my apologies.
I bring the trouble.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

H means a credible news piece demonstrating that the core is being worked on again.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
ShadowFX
Regular

Re:

Post by ShadowFX »

franpa wrote:H means a credible news piece demonstrating that the core is being worked on again.
Exactly. Because I have a hard time believing core emulation is being worked on these days in any emulator other than MESS.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Re: Best N64 emulator?

Oh, hm. Well, this is the last big announcement made recently, so no, it doesn't look like anything substantial has been done in terms of the core emulation. Sorry.
I bring the trouble.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Best N64 emulator?

Post by paulguy »

You can get information on all changes to the source code from the Mecurial repository.