State of N64 emulation: 2011

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord88
Lurker

State of N64 emulation: 2011

Post by mudlord88 »

http://www.mudlord.info/blog/?p=23

point being:
scene is dead, get on with your lives...
king_harkanian
Rookie

Re: State of N64 emulation: 2011

Post by king_harkanian »

I don't know what I harder time believing, N64 emulation being dead or no$gba being alive.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

i wonder if Nintendo' C&D attempt at early stage of n64 emulation scene, may contributes to its 'dead-ness' ...
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

Disappointing
bringing Zsnes back
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Rashidi wrote:i wonder if Nintendo' C&D attempt at early stage of n64 emulation scene, may contributes to its 'dead-ness' ...
I kind of doubt it. It hasn't stopped people in the past. Didn't Sony do some similar stuff? Though I guess PS1 emulator development isn't really progressing much either, that I can tell. The major, mature emulators like pSX and epsxe are pretty much abandoned, and in a state where they don't run in linux due to being so out of date.

Either way, I don't think the state of N64 emulation is so bad. I believe there's still a good bit of progress being made on mupen64plus, and while it's not the most compatible emulator out there, it is open source, and portable, which is certainly a breath of fresh air compared to project64, at least. As the people preferring HLE, I don't really know the details in depth, but I imagine that doing low level emulation wouldn't be too worth it to a lot of people. Most people just want to play games, and LLE might just be too difficult, possibly requiring more accurate emulation of the subsystems and timing between them than is required for HLE, and it might still be too slow for most or any modern computers. Let's not also forget that a lot of popular target platforms are portables or handhelds.

It may not be moving as fast as the popular platforms nowadays like Wii or PS2, or even SNES, but I think there's still some decent progress being done. I imagine it's mostly just down to demand. The N64 games most people want to play are playable, and there isn't much demand for anything more.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

As the people preferring HLE, I don't really know the details in depth, but I imagine that doing low level emulation wouldn't be too worth it to a lot of people. Most people just want to play games, and LLE might just be too difficult, possibly requiring more accurate emulation of the subsystems and timing between them than is required for HLE, and it might still be too slow for most or any modern computers. Let's not also forget that a lot of popular target platforms are portables or handhelds.
At this point, LLE video emulation indeed requires more effort, for minimal gains compared to HLE atm. So, you get a couple more games to boot, pretty much. Which is sad. With HLE though, its a modders paradise, with high res textures and all.

Audio is already low level, so no issue there, just needs to be refined more, like with core/audio timings for picky games like Hydro Thunder/Top Gear Rally/etc.