pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Changelog:
All compatibility fixes - I didn't have time to add any new features this time.

* Various CDROM changes to make Ape Escape work
* Removed incorrect ADPCM autopause functionality (fixes G-Police music)
* More accurate emulation of GPU LCF status bit (fixes G-Police hang)
* Implemented sprite flip draw mode bits (Master system emulator)
* Various root counter emulation improvements (fixes Rhapsody)
* Slight timing change to fix problem where pad stops working intermittantly
* Fixed bug where Crash Bandicoot 2 executes illegal opcodes after intro
* Fixed WildArms XA spell effect bug (didn't stop after effect correctly)
* Reject large polygons (fixes ChronoCross Dragonia bug and SagaFrontier2)
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

pSX 1.10 Released
The main change in this release is localisations. Thank you very much to everyone who has helped translate pSX! (see readme.txt for credits)

Changes in this release:
  • Allow ADSR changes while voice keyed on (fixes sounds in FF7 and others)
  • Localisation for various languages
  • Added internal manifest file (dialogs now support XP theme correctly)
  • Sound device can now be set to disabled
  • Fixed bug where sound was muted when reverb was disabled
  • Fixed Chrono Cross hangs introduced in v1.9
  • Breakpoints can now be added/removed in debugger while CPU is running
  • Added check for valid BIOS
NOTE: I am still accepting translations (either new languages or fixes to the existing ones) - if you are still working on a translation for me: don't worry - your work will make it into the next release ;) Also: I hope to update readme.txt and give people a chance to translate it properly for the next release (and perhaps add some documentation for the debugger)

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Thanks for the reminder.

Edit - Haha, you can select leet for a language.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

you can also do that on the NSRT board
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Nice release. Now both Ape Escape and Music 2000 work,BUT there are still a few serious issues:

- Not possible to run at 100Hz in fullscreen mode (bad for PAL games when using VSync)

- When running a game that requires/uses analog control,running it with Normal (non-DualShock) Pad set in the options,and then changing to dual shock in the settings (Apply),the control gets screwed up:
The UP direction of both analog pads is not responding or is fixed at minimum level when the analog stick is fully pressed up.
Also,both analog sticks now do NOT behave like analog sticks (L,R and DOWN now also have a fixed [max. level] when pressed regardless of strength)

- The sound emulation is still terrible.It may sound good in some of the popular titles,but try MTV Music Generator* (or Music 2000 PAL*) and hear the striking difference between the sound of pSX and the Eternal SPU plugin.
And just to note that even Eternal SPU doesn't sound that good in Music 2000,but it's still an order of magnitude better than pSX.

* This "game" is a true showcase of the audio capabilities of the PSX,since it uses everything the PSX can do,and even beyond what's been thought as possible :) Get this one to sound right and you'll have very accurate sound emulation.

Oh,and one little improvement I noticed in this new release is the sound now doesn't pop/crackle at 10ms latency. I had to set it at 20ms before.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

kick wrote:- Not possible to run at 100Hz in fullscreen mode (bad for PAL games when using VSync)
What do you mean, you selected the video resolution and frequency (Ex. 640x480 100Hz) and it doesn't work? Cuz the option is there.
kick wrote:- When running a game that requires/uses analog control,running it with Normal (non-DualShock) Pad set in the options,and then changing to dual shock in the settings (Apply),the control gets screwed up:
The UP direction of both analog pads is not responding or is fixed at minimum level when the analog stick is fully pressed up.
Also,both analog sticks now do NOT behave like analog sticks (L,R and DOWN now also have a fixed [max. level] when pressed regardless of strength)
What controller are you using cuz it sounds like the dead zones are not set.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

- Whatever resolution I set it to (640x480,1280x960,1600x1200 or 1920x1080) at 100Hz,It doesn't want to go fullscreen,it just reports an error in the status window.
When I set it at 60Hz,there's no problem,but who wants to run PAL games at 60Hz?

- Logitech Rumblepad 2.
UPDATE: It also happens when you set DualShock by default in the pSX config.
I also noticed high input latency (lag) with pSX.(compared to ePSXe with SSSPSX pad plugin)

A controller deadzone value option and controller calibration will be a nice addition to pSX
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

does your monitor/video card support 100hz?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

franpa wrote:does your monitor/video card support 100hz?
video card: up to 200Hz
monitor: up to 160Hz

No problem with other emulators,just this one.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

I just tested on my PC and 100Hz works fine. Is your DirectX updated? What about Video Card Drivers?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The only possible issues that could cause that...

1) DXDiag's Force Refresh Option is forced to some fixed refresh rate.

2) The monitor/video card combo at the specified resolution cannot do 100Hz. Doing 100Hz @ 640x480 is easy, but doing it @ 1600x1200 will probably not be as easy.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

OK,100Hz does work actually (at all resolutions,even 1600x1200),but only after disabling VSync in the options. It's 100 Hz _with VSync_ that doesn't work. pSX gives me an error message,and enters an infinite 1-second retry loop.
Strangely,I can run for example MAME at 100Hz or higher _with_ VSync.
Is pSX using the same VSync method as NEStopia,syncing to just half of the frames and that unsupported feature is just with ATi cards,even with the newest drivers?
Oh,crap. Now there's 3 more reasons to go nVidia: Higher texture size support,this $%^&*#$ VSync issue and better OpenGL performance :)

About the controller issue: Analog controls work (sorta),it's just the UP direction on both sticks doesn't reach even 1/4 of the full range when fully pressed.
byuu

Post by byuu »

kick, you need to just replace your computer already. You seem to have the most issues with everyone's emulators (and websites) of anyone around here :P
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

kick wrote:OK,100Hz does work actually (at all resolutions,even 1600x1200),but only after disabling VSync in the options. It's 100 Hz _with VSync_ that doesn't work. pSX gives me an error message,and enters an infinite 1-second retry loop.
Is pSX using the same VSync method as NEStopia,syncing to just half of the frames and that unsupported feature is just with ATi cards,even with the newest drivers?
Oh,crap. Now there's 3 more reasons to go nVidia: Higher texture size support,this $%^&*#$ VSync issue and better OpenGL performance :)
100 Hz works fine with VSYNC on my Radeon x700 Pro.
kick wrote:About the controller issue: Analog controls work (sorta),it's just the UP direction on both sticks doesn't reach even 1/4 of the full range when fully pressed.
That is very strange on whats going on your controller. If you can report the bug at the pSX Message Boards it'll be easier to get help there.
Echoecho
Lurker

Post by Echoecho »

I'd find a video card that supports 50hz long before I was stupid enough to run a monitor that high. It's not like the manufacturers and their specs will give a crap when your screen dies prematurely.
lockharte
Regular

Post by lockharte »

damn this emu runs so slow on my compy. but the gfx emulation does look pretty tight
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Good News Everyone!

pSX Author has been working a Linux port and has released a WIP for testing.
WIP Forum topic - Remember to report all bugs at the pSX forums.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

kick wrote:OK,100Hz does work actually (at all resolutions,even 1600x1200),but only after disabling VSync in the options. It's 100 Hz _with VSync_ that doesn't work. pSX gives me an error message,and enters an infinite 1-second retry loop.

About the controller issue: Analog controls work (sorta),it's just the UP direction on both sticks doesn't reach even 1/4 of the full range when fully pressed.
nvidia doesnt have as many supported resolution options for most moniter as Ati does. Which totally blows.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Uh, yeah it does. It supports essentially every resolution. The limitation is the monitor (and if it's single or dual-link DVI if using very high resolutions) And you can add as many custom resolutions as you want, too.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

For some reason I have about double the resolution setting using my ati card as I do with me new geforce.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

pSX v1.11 has been released. < Link
pSX Author wrote:The main news with this release is the Linux port, but there are a few minor improvements to the Windows version too.
  • Ported to Linux
  • Log window keyboard controls
  • Added Arabic, Croatian, Norwegian, Persian and Russian translations
  • Fixed bug in CD not usable error message dialog
  • DEP no longer needs to be disabled in Windows for pSX to work
  • Added aspect ratio correction
  • Centred framebuffer when it doesn't cover the entire screen
  • Fixed controller config dialog bug (pressing button fills all controls)

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com
EDIT
pSX Author wrote:btw: sorry for misspelling "Croatian" in the readme.txt ;p

Can't be bothered to do another release just to fix that ;)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit - Hmm, there seems to be a bug with this release. I can't map the A or D key to the controller config. I was forced to edit the config file to map those two keys.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

After being initially impressed with this emu, I've noticed how little the compatibility rate has improved after a year's time. I don't really know the reasons for it. Core strategy, author ability, author time, system complexity? He's totally got the right idea with the lack of plug-ins, but convenience doesn't do much for hanging screens and missing graphics.

And just to give a number, it's probably around 50% compatibility and he's already running into regressions.
Last edited by FitzRoy on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.zapatabase.com
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Thread title changed and OP changed for new release
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

FitzRoy wrote:After being initially impressed with this emu, I've noticed how little the compatibility rate has improved after a year's time. I don't really know the reasons for it. Core strategy, author ability, author time, system complexity? He's totally got the right idea with the lack of plug-ins, but convenience doesn't do much for hanging screens and missing graphics.

And just to give a number, it's probably around 50% compatibility and he's already running into regressions.
So far he's fixing bugs with the current compatibility, and recently the Linux port which is now done. I think there will be a big compatibility increase soon hopefully the next release.