general ignorance/stupidity

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Franky wrote:Dude, trust me, you'd be much better off just buying a PS3. Consoles are way better performers than PC's in regards to gaming.
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=75

heh heh, I know the price difference might be a factor, but that statement alone is just retarded.

for what mike is asking for is a rig that will play Crysis at full settings, only a PC can really satisfy that, the current gen consoles are a world behind right now.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: The reason why PCs are better for gaming is that:

1) PC hardware changes constantly, so running, say, Doom 3 on hardware that was out when it was out may have sucked or choked the PC, but hardware has improved since then. In short, because PCs change constantly, graphics may get better/more optimized due to faster hardware and/or improvements. Games may run better too, due to faster CPUs since then. With a 360 or PS3, you're ALWAYS stuck with that same hardware.
Actually, Doom 3 is a bad example. AFter the leaked beta ran on nothing that currently existed, the game was optimized to hell and back. When it hit, it ran well on almost everything from the last 3 years.

Which just underscores my concern.
The floating hardware is a WEAKNESS of PC gaming. There is no longer a REASON to optimize your code because something that can run it is right around the corner.
The 3D accelerator market is especially bad, with new product launching twice a year and games being released that can load a PAIR OF top-end cards beyond playability. It's also marginalized PC gaming, as only a small subsection of the population cares enough to keep up with it.

Doom 3 proved what I've always said. That it doesn't have to be this way.

Consoles, by contrast, are a limited platform. They require you to put some thought into efficient coding, and not just assume something better will come along in a few months to make your trainwreck run properly.

2) because PCs have this thing called HARD DRIVES, which are read/write media, if the developers, say, want to release an expansion or release patches to optimize the code and/or fix bugs, it can be done easier. on a 360 or PS3, you'll have to release a whole new disk.
Ummm... PS3s have something called HARD DRIVES.
So does the 360, provded you weren't a fucking retard and didn't buy the bottom-end package.

I've downloaded several patches to both games and the system firmware, as well as additional game content. Even new applications, including an XBox 1 emulator.

You fail massively on point 2, and point 1 is the traditional PC VS Console flame war.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:the PS2 processors use one complex programming language while Windows/Linux use the x86 programming language
hahahahahahaha

hahahahahaahahahaha

oh wow

wait

ahahahahahaha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

yeah me too
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

...I gotta ask, is it really worth keeping Franky around?
And I ask, what is wrong with my presence here?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Franky, odditiude, and Gil wrote:I have 360s and PS3s and they have my games on them
While those two consoles (as well as the first gen XBox and PS2s had them too, but the PS2's hdd didn't last long IIRC) do have hard drives, I just thought the hard drives held music, movies, game saves, homebrew, games from the PS store in the case of PS3, etc. on them for use on the console. I honestly didn't know that the games could be installed on them as well (save for FFXI IIRC). I thought the games still ran the whole "pop disk in console and it will play" thing.

just shows my ignorance. and I do apologize for every bit of it in that thread.

..I guess I should stop with the cooking. every time I do I get yelled at. :x

ALSO
odditude wrote:can someone extract the idiocy and dump it in another thread? there's actually legitimate discussion between sweener2001, funkyass, and myself buried in here somewhere.
Request Granted.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:the PS2 processors use one complex programming language while Windows/Linux use the x86 programming language
hahahahahahaha

hahahahahaahahahaha

oh wow

wait

ahahahahahaha
Braincells lost this battle. :(
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:..I guess I should stop with the cooking. every time I do I get yelled at. :x
i like potatoes.
adventure_of_link wrote:
odditude wrote:can someone extract the idiocy and dump it in another thread? there's actually legitimate discussion between sweener2001, funkyass, and myself buried in here somewhere.
Request Granted.
woo.

where the hell are nbz's tacos, anyway?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
gllt

Post by gllt »

odditude wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:..I guess I should stop with the cooking. every time I do I get yelled at. :x
i like potatoes.
adventure_of_link wrote:
Request Granted.
woo.

where the hell are nbz's tacos, anyway?
in the ancient zsnes board quote pyramids, deep within the depths of the general nonsense section.
gllt

Post by gllt »

oh by the way I have 70 bucks help me spend it

go find something awesome online

thanks
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

MAN THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS CHAP!
_-|-_
gllt

Post by gllt »

MisterJones wrote:
MAN THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS CHAP!
do you program arm79 I need ds laoder
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

Doom 3 proved what I've always said. That it doesn't have to be this way.
And as I say, quality code MUST be a focus, not a afterthought....

Funny, there is a new game phonymike will like. Dead Space. By EA. Funnily enough, its extremely optimized. Even a video card with 64MB VRAM can run it. And with a decent video card, it looks awesome (think PS3 level graphics).

And this is from EA's own internal studio. Go figure.....
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

h4tred wrote:Funny, there is a new game phonymike will like. Dead Space. By EA.
Check out the movie first, Dead Space Downfall: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1267379/
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I'm drunk dudes, you should get drunk too!!
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Franky, odditiude, and Gil wrote:I have 360s and PS3s and they have my games on them
While those two consoles (as well as the first gen XBox and PS2s had them too, but the PS2's hdd didn't last long IIRC) do have hard drives, I just thought the hard drives held music, movies, game saves, homebrew, games from the PS store in the case of PS3, etc. on them for use on the console. I honestly didn't know that the games could be installed on them as well (save for FFXI IIRC). I thought the games still ran the whole "pop disk in console and it will play" thing.

just shows my ignorance. and I do apologize for every bit of it in that thread.
Well, not all the entire game will be installed. MGS4 takes about 10 minutes to install, and from there a majority of the game is being read from the hdd, not the blu-ray disc; but you still need the disc. Same goes for GTA4.
Most PS3 games do this.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
They do, at least on 360.

But they can use the drive for caching(optionally on the 360, damn MS and their two-tier console scheme), and aren't prevented from loading patches into RAM off the drive/memory card.

Also: 360 had online game purchases first. XBox Live Arcade.

XBox 1 hard drive got extensive caching usage. Some games would load massive amounts of data onto it.

PS2 hard drive actually got more use than people realize. It just came to America so late, and in such an annoying bundle deal, that almost no one noticed. Japan had it almost from day one. I gather there's a lot of software that supports it, but people don't know it because the drave didn't make it overseas.

Metal Saga has an install option. I kinda wish I had a hard drive, just for that one game. But ... slimline PS2.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I imagine that the slimline ps2 wouldn't have been popular in japan, then.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Franky wrote:I imagine that the slimline ps2 wouldn't have been popular in japan, then.

:roll:

facepalm
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Ooh, I totally forgot about XBox Live Arcade...

thanks for the info/input you guys.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Panzer88 wrote:
Franky wrote:I imagine that the slimline ps2 wouldn't have been popular in japan, then.

facepalm
Well, maybe it was popular, but what I said was only an assumption; apparently lots of japanese ps2 games make use of a hard drive, whereas the slim ps2 has no option for a harddrive. That was the source of my assumption.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i'mdrinkingreallyfuckingstrongcoffeeCAFFEINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ineedTPformybunghole! hehhmhehhehmmmhehehheheh...
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

odditude wrote:i'mdrinkingreallyfuckingstrongcoffeeCAFFEINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ineedTPformybunghole! hehhmhehhehmmmhehehheheh...

I went insane after drinking one of these.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:

facepalm
Well, maybe it was popular, but what I said was only an assumption; apparently lots of japanese ps2 games make use of a hard drive, whereas the slim ps2 has no option for a harddrive. That was the source of my assumption.
Clearly, you don't know why one gets a PS2 in the first place. Hint: It's not because they have a PS3.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Guys, you should all just grab something to get drunk with.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.