You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

kode54
Zealot

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Post by kode54 »

Enjoy the creepypasta. The ROM hacks alone must have been quite some effort.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Post by badinsults »

tl;dr

I agree, the hacks are impressive to give the sense of jumping around from scene to scene and glitching.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

TL; But I did read it.

The videos make it far more enjoyable than normal copypasta, but really needed better story writing to go with it. It would be totally badass if they had an experienced ROM hacker paired with a great writer.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I had a Doctor V64 back in the day and I sorta know what caused the glitchy cut scenes and events.

The Doctor V64 is a device from Hong Kong that connects to the N64 and uses RAM to simulate ROM, allowing you to dump and play N64 ROMs; even before usable software emulators existed.

If I recall correctly, Majora's Mask had a boot CIC that matched the original OoT cartridge. Most people inserted their OoT cart into the special adapter so the MM ROM would boot and thought the game was working fine. Most had no idea that it was messed up because we were playing a downloaded Japanese copy. Also, the USA version leaked onto the 'net about a month before it came out in retail.

The OoT cart has SRAM save, and MM uses FlashRAM save. Without FlashRAM, the game glitches in the strangest ways. Events that happen in the wrong places, for instance. It's entirely plausible that the game simply can't keep track of game events without the FlashRAM save.

It's probably possible to simulate this by hacking the ROM in a way that makes an emulator think it uses SRAM save type.

I'm betting this:

It's NOT a hacked ROM, though the writer was thrown off because the label was ripped off. It's probably a 100% legit N64 game, but the save data was corrupt or the FlashRAM stopped working correctly...resulting in glitches very similar to what I experienced back in '99

[edit]
Read most of that. There's a lot of definite bullshit in there. However, I'm convinced that the bull-shitter was inspired by the strangeness of the real glitches I described. There's an element of truth in most fiction.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need a new sig...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

OK, what I don't get is in the DROWNED.wmv video, why the "Majora's Mask" code from out of fucking nowhere turned into OoT code, comes complete with the HUD layout, Navi's and (IIRC) Link's voice, hearts graphics, Link's 3D model, HAPPY MASK SHOP (of all places, especially when there isn't one in MM), whole nine yards. and then it turns back into MM. :? Not to mention parts of this and the other videos with MM footage doesn't even display the countdown clock.

Also consider that Majora's Mask (AKA Zelda Gaiden) is/was one of the biggest N64 games to date, data wise. And it was released in Japan with the 64DD device in mind, so it could have the traditional eight dungeons instead of four. I doubt a mismatched internal save glitch could've caused most of this.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

There's an element of truth to most fiction. I'm sure the author was intrigued by real event glitches due to a corrupted save, then got carried away and embellished the fuck out of the "story."
Need a new sig...