Permission to use GPLv3 libraries

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

jasp

Permission to use GPLv3 libraries

Post by jasp »

Hi all.

This is a license request. I'd like to distribute zsnes 1.51, under GPLv2 of course, dynamically linked with GPLv3 libraries. The libraries are virtually LGPLv3 but I can't distribute them under GPLv2. So may I have your permission?
funkyass
"God"

Re: Permission to use GPLv3 libraries

Post by funkyass »

whut?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

If you're referring to the standard C/C++ libraries being under GPLv3, then that's okay. If you're referring to a different library, please clarify.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by jasp »

I was thinking about GPLv3 libraries in general, so I wouldn't have to ask permission for each library. I'm currently linking with special versions of OpenGL and SDL.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Isn't OpenGL a system library?
jasp

Post by jasp »

According to GPLv3, OpenGL is a Standard Interface. Under GPLv2, I'm not sure whether it is part of a major component. There are graphical environments without OpenGL. Even the graphical environment is optional.

If the developer team considers that OpenGL and SDL are system libraries, then I'm certainly satisfied.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

OpenGL is a API, not a system library.
SDL is a library.
The drivers themselves implement OpenGL. Unless you are talking about shit like Mesa, that is....