Get windows console apps in fullscreen on *second* monitor

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Get windows console apps in fullscreen on *second* monitor

Post by lordmissus »

Video card: ATi Radeon X600 SE

Hello, I've googled this forever, but not found anything.

I have two monitors connected to my video card, and have a dual monitor detup; I can move windows to and from both screens, as though they are one screen. On windows XP, I often like to have cmd.exe in fullscreen whenever I use it. Maybe I should bing it instead.

My 2 monitors:
One is a 22" 1080p LCD,
One is a 22" CRT

When I run cmd.exe, or any other console application in fullscreen, it displays in fullscreen on my LCD (to get to fullscreen in a console app, I o ALT+Return). However, I want it to display in fullscreen on my CRT. Is there are way to make fullscreen commandline windows appear on another monitor?

I know that for games, emulators, etc that all use DirectX, most of them (e.g. pSX) allow you to choose which monitor the video output goes to in fullscreen.

Fullscreen command-line sessions just don't look very good on an LCD. I'd rather it display in fullscreen on my big old CRT. Does anyone have any advice?

Obligatory photo:
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Get windows console apps in fullscreen on *second* monit

Post by Deathlike2 »

You'd have to make that monitor the primary monitor. It's kinda like DirectDraw... limited to the primary monitor.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=781
Franpa wrote:Set it to Windowed mode (alt+enter) then drag it across and make it full screen?
lordmister wrote:Nope, that was obvious to me before and it didn't work.

Even when I set the CRT as the primary display, then disable the LCD monitor by unticking the "Extent desktop to this display" box... getting fullscreen in cmd.exe still makes it appear on my LCD. The CRT then goes into power saving mode as usual, and turns itself off.

I downloaded a program called "ultramon", and tried a few things there, but it didn't have what I was looking for. This seems to be a unique problem, as I see no other people complaining about it when I perform my google searches.

Apparently I'm the only one..
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Deathlike2 wrote:You'd have to make that monitor the primary monitor. It's kinda like DirectDraw... limited to the primary monitor.
I have the CRT set as the primary display, but it still doesn't work.

.. yes, as franpa points out I posted this question on byuu's board too.

EDIT:
I solved the problem.

I previously had just the 1080p LCD connected via DVI-D. The VGA port was unused. I would have console applications in fullscreen.
Obviously the OS "remembered" that I would run console apps in fs on the 1080p display.

Later, I connected my VGA CRT monitor, realizing I had dual monitor support for my video card. But even after setting the CRT (which I had long before my 1080p LCD, and was the one I used before I bought the LCD) as the primary display, console apps "remembered" that they were in fullscreen on the LCD.

So, what I did was:

- Unplug the DVI-D from my card, so that only the CRT was connected. Disable the LCD monitor from the display settings in windows, and make sure the CRT was the primary display.

- Restart the machine. Boot into windows with only the CRT physically connected. Run a console app in fullscreen.

- Shut down windows.

- Plug the LCD back in via the DVI-D

- Boot back into windows.

- Put a console app in fs, to see if it outputs to the CRT. And it did.

The 1080p LCD monitor is set as the primary display, which is what I actually want. However, console apps instead now "remember" running in fullscreen on the CRT. So now, they always do display on the CRT, not the LCD, when in fullscreen.

I'll be posting this solution on byuu's board too, so that people don't try to help me, since they'd be wasting their time because I've managed to solve the problem myself.

Thank you all for your input.

More obligatory photos:

My console app running in a window:

My console app running in fullscreen:

(note - the name of the program is at the top left of the screen, but I smeared it from view. I can't release the software or even put it's name out on the net because the software is something I wrote for a programming course I've done this year. I can release it in a month's time when I get my grade, though. That;s why you can see a red line over the name of the program in this photo, which I put there in GIMP after taking the photo)