Secret of Mana Sound SPC

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Alexander_Q

Secret of Mana Sound SPC

Post by Alexander_Q »

I've been trying to dump the sound effects from Secret of Mana but have found it exceedingly difficult. I've already downloaded al the spc packs there are but none of them include and of the sword swishing sounds or other varrious sounds I'm after.

Does anyone have these sound effects or could someone with more skill dump them for me?

Cheers.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Have you tried isolating the sound by disabling the sound channels (the F5 to F12 keys) and see if you can just get sound effects?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

Nice timing, I just finished trying to do that. It seems that some instruments of the bg music and the sword effect are on the same channel, so the spc just dumps the song.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Alexander_Q wrote:Nice timing, I just finished trying to do that. It seems that some instruments of the bg music and the sword effect are on the same channel, so the spc just dumps the song.
Yeah. Secret of Mana shares sound channels extensively, and not very well either.

You try SNESSOR?
http://www.snakeyes.org/util/snes.php
I don't think it works excessively well, but it's worth a shot.
Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

Thanks, but I tried that too. Strangely, it returns about 42 sounds none of which I recognise from the game at all. Any other suggestions?
juef
Rookie

Post by juef »

What I'd do is isolate the correct sound channel and record your sound output with any sound recording program, then cut what's before / after the sword sound. Since the sound channel is shared, the musical instrument is gonna stop just for the duration of the sword sound, and you'll only get what you want.

Probably not the best solution but at least it works... :|
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

juef wrote:What I'd do is isolate the correct sound channel and record your sound output with any sound recording program, then cut what's before / after the sword sound. Since the sound channel is shared, the musical instrument is gonna stop just for the duration of the sword sound, and you'll only get what you want.

Probably not the best solution but at least it works... :|
Actually, if I recall correctly, it stops for some time afterwards, as the sound effects cancel the music voices they overlap instead of just over-riding them.
Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

juef wrote:Since the sound channel is shared, the musical instrument is gonna stop just for the duration of the sword sound, and you'll only get what you want.
Cool, that's good news if that is indeed the case. I'll give it a whirl, thanks.

Yeah, like you said the other sound waits, so I guess that's how I'll have to do it. If anyone comes up with a sound pack or something in the mean time let me know.

BTW, I'm trying to remake Secret of Mana in GameMaker.