HELP PLEASE- huge resolution problem

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jumpsteady

HELP PLEASE- huge resolution problem

Post by jumpsteady »

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and the newest version of Zsnes
i am a linux newb
now thats outta the way, heres what has happened.
Zsnes occasionally changed my resolution on my desktop to a low resolution which i would just change back to the higher resolution through the monitor preferences. But now my resolution for my computer is stuck at 640x480 and when i change it back to 1360x768 through the monitor preferences it only shows the window'd size of Zsnes portion of the screen in the top left corner and 3/4 of the screen is black for my desktop.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED GREATLY!
having a computer in 640x480 res sucks.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: HELP PLEASE- huge resolution problem

Post by badinsults »

It might be useful if you give us some more information on your setup, such as which video drivers you are using.

It sounds to me like you have put zsnes in fullscreen mode, then pressed alt-tab to go out of the fullscreen mode improperly.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
jumpsteady

Post by jumpsteady »

its a Dell Dimension 4600, using the onboard intel 82865g graphics controller, i'm using whatever drivers came with my Ubuntu install i did which has worked fine up into this point. xserver-xorg-video-intel? in the terminal when i try to install it, says i already have the most updated version =\ back to the point, i'm a noob face with linux
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I believe zsnes will normally restore your proper resolution. It sounds like it's actually crashing in this case, on exit, if it's not returning to your original resolution.

As for your specific problem, that's rather bizarre. It seems that something in mode detection is failing, so it only sees 640x480 as a viable option and just increasing the virtual desktop size to fit the requested size. Kinda hard to say if it's related to zsnes, but I'd just try setting that resolution, to where you only see the top corner and logging back in. Doing this will restart X and it might get it back to normal.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
jumpsteady

Post by jumpsteady »

ok, let me rephrase myself a little bit here. system->preferences->monitor-> configure display settings, still shows 5 resolutions i can choose from but if i take its off 640x480 resolution, part of the desktop is black and it only shows what would be shown for a Zsnes windowed(not full screen) size of a window for that resolution.... thats with Zsnes closed and not even running, i'm talking about my desktop display. so technically i'm not stuck with 640x480. I dont know how to fix this because i'm not familiar with linux or ubuntu but its driving my crazy. every help forum i've looked at talks about editing the xorg.conf file for x11 but i dont even have one(and yes i know its a 'hidden file' and i looked in /etc/x11) and dont want to create one. i looked in the log file for x11 and its running the intel 915 driver for the graphics i believe. i've tried restarting my computer, does nothing, and now in Zsnes if i pick a resolution higher then 640x480 it just crashes. last 3 months(since i installed ubuntu) i've had no resolution/graphic/screen issues until i installed Zsnes and change the resolution there and used the fullscren (alt+enter) mode. =( i'm at a bit of a loss right now. thanks for the response though.
jumpsteady

Post by jumpsteady »

i have screen shots i could send that'd show exactly what i am talking about, also in the "blacked out" parts on my desktop, it displays my mouse cursor over it and the mouse can click on items that are supposed to be there(like scroll bar) that i cant see
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You can upload them to imageshack or something.

Also, you set the resolution higher, then rebooted and when you logged back in it was still screwed up? Could be some update broke something, I guess. I don't know much about ubuntu. I use gentoo which as far as linuxes go, it's quite different. Sorry I can't help you but it sounds like some kind of bug unrelated to zsnes, though triggered by zsnes.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
jumpsteady

Post by jumpsteady »

heres a link to another forum where i attacked some screen shots of what i am talking about.

http://www.osgui.com/forums/Ubuntu/1313 ... html#13146
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It sounds like you're not using the OpenGL modes. Using the non-OpenGL modes will produce that effect.

Chances are, you need to add in the OpenGL/MESA libs IIRC so the OpenGL modes will work for you
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...