Diagonal options in Key Combinations?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Fill in the Blank

Diagonal options in Key Combinations?

Post by Fill in the Blank »

I looked around, didn't see anything on this. Sorry if this is a double post.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to input diagonals in the key combination menu. It's got every direction BUT diagonals. I'd like to set up a key combo as the gamepad I'm using apparently doesn't register diagonals, and I need them to pull off special moves in certain ROMs.

Anyone got a solution for this? Is there a planned upgrade for this anytime soon?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you're trying to enter in a diagonal (which isn't exactly registered for most games in the first place), you combine the two logical directions in the key combination to accomplish that.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

The gamepad you're using doesn't register diagonals because no gamepad in existence registers diagonals, not even analogue sticks. It's all just x and y. Same for the way the games "see" it, it's simply two adjacent directions.

Those "diagonals" in the control options are made for keyboards that can only register a limited number of keypresses at the same time, it combines two actions into one keybinding. And I imagine it's also to help counter the fact that keyboards aren't exactly perfect for game control to begin with.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:The gamepad you're using doesn't register diagonals because no gamepad in existence registers diagonals, not even analogue sticks. It's all just x and y.
Actually, some gamepads DO register diagonals.

The Intellivision has a 16-way pad.
Microsoft designed a >8-way d-pad for the 360 too. Dunno if that ever actually came out, though.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

But do they actually register as anything but values of x and y? And if so, why? For almost any implementation they'd have to be converted back to x and y anyway, very inconvenient. I don't believe it till I see proof.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:But do they actually register as anything but values of x and y? And if so, why? For almost any implementation they'd have to be converted back to x and y anyway, very inconvenient.
They registered as discrete switches. Why would they register as anything else?

It was up to the game to decide what they meant.
Just like every other d-pad after it*, with the exception of PC pads that pretend to be analog axes for compatibility purposes.

As for why... they wanted more than 8-way control.

They either hadn't thought of an analog stick(unlikely), or disliked the added electrical and mechanical complexity. It's FAR easier to read a switch than a pot, especially if you're building your system from off-the-shelf components.

[citation needed]
http://www.beeslife.com/faq.htm#_Toc140592061

*Note that Nintendo did NOT invent the d-pad, as the Intellivision came out a year before the first Game&Watch, and three years before the Donkey Kong Game&Watch that introduced the Nintendo cross-key.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

blackmyst wrote:The gamepad you're using doesn't register diagonals because no gamepad in existence registers diagonals, not even analogue sticks. It's all just x and y. Same for the way the games "see" it, it's simply two adjacent directions.

Those "diagonals" in the control options are made for keyboards that can only register a limited number of keypresses at the same time, it combines two actions into one keybinding. And I imagine it's also to help counter the fact that keyboards aren't exactly perfect for game control to begin with.
X and Y are the points on an analogue axis, of which a digital pad does not use. (Digital Pad,... DUH)

Some gamepads make use of Axis's to emulate the digital pad, however they are wrong in doing so.

The correct behavior can be seen on a controller with thumbsticks and a digital pad where the digital pad is set up as numbered buttons, though displaying it as a POV control may also be accurate for that control.

Anyway, as it is the dpad on a snes is only 4 way pad, which uses combinations of the up left, right and down buttons to create the varios directions.

Some controls absolutely suck at doing this though which is why emulators allow the user to combine the directions as assigned buttons.

This is probably where the misconception that the harder you press a button the further/higher the PC jumps. Thats not the case.. rather its the longer the button is pressed determines the jump distance/height.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]