I am Releasing ZSnes w/ Netplay for Intel Mac

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

bazz

I am Releasing ZSnes w/ Netplay for Intel Mac

Post by bazz »

See the link for details:
ZSNES Intel Mac w/ Netplay
kode54
Zealot

Re: I am Releasing ZSnes w/ Netplay for Intel Mac

Post by kode54 »

Suggestions for your web page. A note on how ZSNES may be regarded as a popular netplay platform, but the emulator itself isn't exactly the most reliable at this, and tends to desync regularly due to outstanding inaccuracies.

Suggested addition for your netplay emulators list, RetroArch. It may be a royal pain to get up and working, but it supports all of the emulators which can be compiled into modules for it, and most of them are faithful enough to work reliably under netplay. It also helps that it uses a much more reliable method of synchronizing the computers connected. I think it also supports more than two machines, but I could be wrong. I haven't actually tried to engage anyone in netplay emulation in over 10 years.

Also, if you don't already support Retina/HiDPI, I can certainly point you in the right direction. Basically, you need an Info.plist entry for the window frame and controls, and a call to the NSOpenGLView to set it to render at the backing store resolution, and use another call to convert rectangles from points to pixels.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:tends to desync regularly due to outstanding inaccuracies.
The inaccuracies aren't the desync source. The problem is determinism. If you are completely deterministic you won't desync, despite inaccurate emulation.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Sorry. You're right. But some of the inaccuracies can result in poor determinism, depending on the game.