Pulseaudio sound distorition

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Senlis

Pulseaudio sound distorition

Post by Senlis »

I am currently running ZSNES on Ubuntu 14.10, and the emulator does not seem to want to work well with pulseaudio. I continuously get popping type sounds when playing games. I know there have been questions about this issue for a while now, but they all seem fairly outdated.

The popping sound wasn't nearly as bad when I first started playing Earthbound. Recently, it has gotten to the point I cannot listen to it. It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have it on, but these are my most current choices:

Enable Sound
Enable Stereo Sound
Emulate Surround Sound
Sampling at 33000
Interpolonation: Cubic Spline
Lowpass: High Quality

Is there a way to get ZSNES to sound good on pulseaudio without installing other audio drivers (the last time I tried this, I broke all audio on my system).
kode54
Zealot

Re: Pulseaudio sound distorition

Post by kode54 »

Please don't use the low pass filter, it really sucks. I should know it's a piece of shit, I authored it all those years ago, before interpolation was a thing I understood how to implement.
Senlis

Re: Pulseaudio sound distorition

Post by Senlis »

It appears that the problem wasn't ZSNES with pulseaudio at all, but with my Wireless USB Logitech headset. Something about that (the USB or the Wireless) did not agree with ZSNES on Pulseaudio. My solution was to swith to my Bose earbuds over 1/8th audio jack.