Zsnes on Android? oO

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Zsnes on Android? oO

Post by nintendo_nerd »

I know that I'll more than likely get flack for making a thread and asking something that I hope to be serious, but what the hell, I'll ask anyway and be more assertive about it. So, I recently stumbled upon a thread mentioning that Zsnes is getting an Android port. http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2&t=126756 I was taken aback, this is the first news of Zsnes in quite some time, I have a certain fondness for Zsnes, it was the first Snes emulator I used that had sound and transparency effects emulated. However, there is something that concerns me, as a user of Snes emulators, notably, "It is essentially the old codeline with some improvements that will run in a custom qemu environment with a nice UI to configure and load your roms". I might need some clarification on what this entails, esp. given the fact that there are emulators, like Snes9x EX that is based off of Snes9x 1.53, which has far more accurate emulation in every area, not like Bsnes, but still pretty accurate.
Unless of course, this refers to the first version, but thereon out, eventually implement new code to help with performance, accuracy and compatibility, correct? I mean, the Android port won't be forever based off the almost nine year-old 1.51 code, right?

Does this mean Zsnes 2.0 isn't as far off as many have assumed? The fact Pagefault posted recently is definitely an excellent way to start off the new year. And yes, my...record here hasn't been the best over the years, like, not good at all, and whatever comments may follow this thread, I sure as hell deserve it I'm sure. I'm just spouting off bullshit as usual. The thing I look forward to the most, is accurate S-SMP emulation. That is what I'd love to see in Zsnes, Earthworm Jim 2, with full audio, to name an example. I'm lucky I'm even posting this thread, given the grudges people might hold after so many years, heh.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Zsnes on Android? oO

Post by paulguy »

Qemu is an emulator. It'll probably just be 1.51 running in an emulator, more or less.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

paulguy wrote:Qemu is an emulator. It'll probably just be 1.51 running in an emulator, more or less.
Ah well, just spoke with the devs on IRC and things are coming along, slowly, nothing wrong with that however :3
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

Uhhh, cant you just wait and see?

Yea yea, I know ( I've been WAITING for a long time ) yada yada, so on and so forth.

Im just saying, don't let what may, or may not happen cause you to loose sleep, or make you un-productive at work. Don't let it become a wedge between your loved ones.

ZSNES is a program. ultimately a bunch of (1)'s and (0)'s. And yes, I grew up with ZSNES, I enjoy it, and as soon as I got off probation it was one of the first things I fired up, but life goes on, and fretting about ZSNES 2.0 or AndoZSnes1.?X! isn't worth it.

Im glad to hear from pagefault, its exciting. I would also like to hear about HomebrewU too, but now im rambling.

I look forward to an Android version of ZSNES, whichever version of ZSNES it is based on, and I look forward to ZSNES 2.0, but I'm not going to let it drive me up a wall if they never come.

To the developers, Thank you all for your hard work, and dedication.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Just some clarification:

This is mainly a test to see how well we can get it to run on a mobile platform. The code is not going to be from 1.51 it is much newer but at the same time it is not a final product. It's not supposed to compete or be taken seriously in any way.

We still have plans to release a new version of the emulator at some point, but development is very slow since we all have real lives and interests come and goes. But there still is interested, in the meantime there are lots of other great emulators that can do what you want.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:Just some clarification:

This is mainly a test to see how well we can get it to run on a mobile platform. The code is not going to be from 1.51 it is much newer but at the same time it is not a final product. It's not supposed to compete or be taken seriously in any way.

We still have plans to release a new version of the emulator at some point, but development is very slow since we all have real lives and interests come and goes. But there still is interested, in the meantime there are lots of other great emulators that can do what you want.

Damn, wow, uh sorry about that, yeah, I was on IRC earlier and spoke to Grinvader and Nach about that very thing and told me its current status, um sorry, I..think I should delete this thread, I totally misunderstood what you said, and I profusely apologize for misconstruing that. :cry: Keep up the good work, I never meant to offend. I really had no idea. I have a very powerful Android device (Tegra 3) and I look forward to trying out Zsnes :mrgreen: