Problem with Zsnes 1.51

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

asboxxx
Rookie

Problem with Zsnes 1.51

Post by asboxxx »

I recently got a new pc,here's the spec:

Windows 7
4GB RAM
Intel i5 processor
9800 GT

In every game, i have always the same problem..the game is not perfectly"smooth" especially when the screen scrools.
I don't say that the games are unplayable but..i really don't understand why the action is not perfectly "fluid" :(

On the previous pc (Pentium 4 3,2 GHz) the emulator was absolutely perfect.

Any idea?

I'm currently using on the emu:
762X672 DR W + Interpolation Filter

Edit: I've just discovered that i have another issue: the sound at 22050Hz doesn't work :o
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

For the closest to accurate sound, you should be using 32000Hz, with Gaussian interpolation.

And as for your smoothness issue, are you using a 60Hz or 120Hz video mode, and are you using vsync?
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Well i don't know if thats what you are talking about, but i've found out that the "Refresh rate" of my monitor is 60 Hertz and i'm not using Vsync
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

i just also noticed that strange things happen

For example in Chrono Trigger, if i run while near a wall, the characters run without making the "run animation"..it's really strange

Maybe Windows 7 incompatibility?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

there are no compatibility issues with win7.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Perhaps you have enabled Frame Skipping.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

i have auto-frame rate enabled
we1dont7die

Post by we1dont7die »

Seeing that you just said there are no compatibility issues with Windows 7, I'm a little frightened. I have Win7 64bit. I went to play a game yesterday for the first time in a while, though its the latest version of zsnes, and i could not switch to my usual custom res of 1366 768. It crashes with a DirectDraw7 Error saying it cant set the mode....This used to work on this PC!!! Tried the newest geforce 8600gt driver and one that i use thats a little older but more compatible, and the end result is the same. Finally, i just reformatted my pc installed both drivers v190.62 and 196.75 for the video card and the problem persists with both. I also noticed that i cant switch to 1366x768 in Fusion either, it goes back to 640x480. On the other hand, Snes9x works fine in 1366x768.

Any Ideas, I'm losing sleep over this...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The CT issue is a timing issue and has nothing to do with Windows 7.

If you want to use a custom res, you want to use a Windowed mode instead of a Fullscreen mode. Fullscreen mode demands that your system natively supports that resolution.

You shouldn't be using 22050Hz sound anyways. Set it back to the default of 32000Hz and things "should" be better. If worse comes to worse, use 44100 or 48000Hz because of poor sound card resampling.

Kega Fusion uses DirectDraw IIRC... so you're better off uisng a Windowed mode instead as I said before.

Snes9x shouldn't have issues because it has Direct3D in 1.52, but it also has the same issues with DirectDraw (using Windowed modes solves that too).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
we1dont7die

Post by we1dont7die »

So did something change with the new version of Zsnes? because I used to run zsnes with this same OS, hardware and vid driver in FullScreen at 1366 768. I am thoroughly confused because all the emulators were set up the way i left them when i had them configured and working, now a month or two later2 emu's are not working...I don't get it.

BTW, I just switch Zsnes to 1366 768 Windowed like you said and it looks great. Looks just like full screen the way it snaps to the screen. Hopefully Fusion will look good as well with this method.
Last edited by we1dont7die on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nothing AFAIK has changed with regards to the DirectDraw code in respect to 1.50 and 1.51.

As I said, use a Windowed mode instead as it is the most compatible option available.

The only other issue might be Aero, so disabling it might help.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
we1dont7die

Post by we1dont7die »

Disabling Aero doesnt help Zsnes with the ddraw error. I just want to clarify..youre saying that the custom fullscreen res option wont work if the card doesnt natively support the res? Why is the option there?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

we1dont7die wrote:I just want to clarify..youre saying that the custom fullscreen res option wont work if the card doesnt natively support the res? Why is the option there?
Custom fullscreen res ONLY works when it is reported by your video card+monitor that they both support that resolution.

Windowed resolutions work as DirectDraw doesn't care about the dimensions.

This is the behavior for DirectDraw, and has nothing to do with ZSNES. The option is there because there's no code to list all reported resolutions, but also to support every option available, especially for those that use LCDs.

Windowed mode works best as said before.

Modern ATI+NVidia drivers allow for defining custom resolutions (IIRC, Powerstrip should do it too, but I don't know if there's a Vista/Win7 version), so use that first before trying to configure ZSNES for fullscreen.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

we1dont7die wrote:Disabling Aero doesn't help Zsnes with the ddraw error. I just want to clarify..you're saying that the custom fullscreen res option wont work if the card doesn't natively support the res? Why is the option there?
Use Snes9x1.52 if Zsnes is giving you these issues.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
we1dont7die

Post by we1dont7die »

Deathlike2 wrote:
we1dont7die wrote:I just want to clarify..youre saying that the custom fullscreen res option wont work if the card doesnt natively support the res? Why is the option there?
Custom fullscreen res ONLY works when it is reported by your video card+monitor that they both support that resolution.

This is the behavior for DirectDraw, and has nothing to do with ZSNES. The option is there because there's no code to list all reported resolutions, but also to support every option available, especially for those that use LCDs.

Modern ATI+NVidia drivers allow for defining custom resolutions (IIRC, Powerstrip should do it too, but I don't know if there's a Vista/Win7 version), so use that first before trying to configure ZSNES for fullscreen.
My video card AND my lcd tv support that resolution (its the native res of my tv) and the res i always have it on. I set the custom res with the nvidia control panel and ive never had any problem getting ANYthing else to run at 1366x768..most games detect my custom res. Still don't understand why this wont work with zsnes anymore. :?:
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, go figure. ZSNES hasn't changed since it last worked for you, so it's usually something on your end.

As I said, just make it a Windowed mode and it's essentially accomplishing the same task.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Hey guys you are going OT :cry:
odditude

Post by odditude »

turn on vsync.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

Vsync with snes9x solve my problems
but
with zsnes..it makes everything less "smooth" :o
odditude

Post by odditude »

asboxxx wrote:Vsync with snes9x solve my problems
but
with zsnes..it makes everything less "smooth" :o
everything should be butter-smooth - if not, either you're dropping frames or your display isn't actually running at 60Hz.

given that the latter is far more likely on your system, try launching zsnesw with the argument -6 60.

create a shortcut and open the property sheet (or open the property sheet of your existing shortcut) and append "-6 60" without the quotes to the target field on the shortcut tab.
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

The emulator still isn't ok
odditude

Post by odditude »

and that's with vsync enabled and using the "-6 60" switch?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Not "all" displays run at 60hz, LCD's can run at various refresh rates like 50hz, 25hz, 24hz, 120hz etc. (much like a CRT display can as well)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, if his monitor can't manage 60 or 120hz, then he's pretty much out of luck. :p With 50hz (pretty common for cheap displays) he'll never be able to experience a smooth picture for NTSC games. Of course, on the other hand, people with monitors which can't do 50hz will never be able to play PAL games smoothly, but who wants to play PAL games (Yeah I know there are a handful of PAL only games but eh.).

As for oddball stuff like 24/25hz, I don't think many monitors support that exclusively. I know mine has a 24hz mode (for blu-ray compatibility) but who the hell would have their desktop set to that? If it's being forced to that for some bizarre reason, the -6 60 switch should fix it.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
asboxxx
Rookie

Post by asboxxx »

paulguy wrote:Well, if his monitor can't manage 60 or 120hz, then he's pretty much out of luck. :p With 50hz (pretty common for cheap displays) he'll never be able to experience a smooth picture for NTSC games. Of course, on the other hand, people with monitors which can't do 50hz will never be able to play PAL games smoothly, but who wants to play PAL games (Yeah I know there are a handful of PAL only games but eh.).

As for oddball stuff like 24/25hz, I don't think many monitors support that exclusively. I know mine has a 24hz mode (for blu-ray compatibility) but who the hell would have their desktop set to that? If it's being forced to that for some bizarre reason, the -6 60 switch should fix it.
With the previous pc (same screen) i didn't have any problem :(
and..i tried the shortcut but the problem is still there!
It's pretty strange, in fact i tried all kind of emulators on this machine and everything runs perfectly!