ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Shin_Gouki
Rookie

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Shin_Gouki »

Wow lots of "development happing here, and asnes announced too! exiting!
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Shin_Gouki wrote:Wow lots of "development happing here, and asnes announced too! exiting!

Asnes? :?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
Shin_Gouki wrote:Wow lots of "development happing here, and asnes announced too! exiting!

byuu is splitting the bsnes project up a bit. Internal code name is a "is for Accuracy!" snes
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

dfreer wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:

byuu is splitting the bsnes project up a bit. Internal code name is a "is for Accuracy!" snes
hot damn, first I thought it was some kind of inside joke or making fun of BSNES in general, but y'all're saying this shit is for real?!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN... :? :|
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

dfreer wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:

I just read byuu's post about the direction he decided to take...Kinda feel bad for him, though, I mean he tried to make the most accurate Snes emulator, but the end result isn't what he wanted.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
dfreer wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:

I just read byuu's post about the direction he decided to take...Kinda feel bad for him, though, I mean he tried to make the most accurate Snes emulator, but the end result isn't what he wanted.
Really, if I someone wants something that is 100% accurate, I will just pull out a SNES console. If I want something that will run on my computer, I'll use Snes9x or Zsnes. Even Nintendo's ports of games to the Wii are not 100% accurately emulated. I don't understand byuu's motivation or what his actual goal is. Personally, I think he has reached his goal and now has an empty void in his life that he is trying to fill by attempting to find issues that really aren't issues. It is madness.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Madness? No! This! Is! BYUU!

Seriously, though. I want a working emulator. I don't care about how accurate it is so long as it supports the games I want to play and runs reasonably well on the system I want to play them on. One of the biggest reasons I don't use BSNES is because ZSNES does precisely what I want, even with its flaws.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Aerdan wrote:Madness? No! This! Is! BYUU!

Seriously, though. I want a working emulator. I don't care about how accurate it is so long as it supports the games I want to play and runs reasonably well on the system I want to play them on. One of the biggest reasons I don't use BSNES is because ZSNES does precisely what I want, even with its flaws.
Snes9x will be my emulator of choice until Zsnes 2.0, and I'm glad both use the hardware-accurate/near perfect sound core, not to mention both have very nice compatibility that doesn't require a Core 2 Duo E8400 to run full speed.
Draegur

Post by Draegur »

Hasn't anyone considered the fact that A and Z are RIGHT next to each other on the keyboard and that it could have simply been a typographical error? >_>;

It's not like he's been back in the thread to clarify his point.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Draegur wrote:Hasn't anyone considered the fact that A and Z are RIGHT next to each other on the keyboard and that it could have simply been a typographical error? >_>;.
YOU ALL SUCK DICK.

http://bash.org/?5300
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

badinsults wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:
dfreer wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:

Really, if I someone wants something that is 100% accurate, I will just pull out a SNES console. If I want something that will run on my computer, I'll use Snes9x or Zsnes. Even Nintendo's ports of games to the Wii are not 100% accurately emulated. I don't understand byuu's motivation or what his actual goal is. Personally, I think he has reached his goal and now has an empty void in his life that he is trying to fill by attempting to find issues that really aren't issues. It is madness.
Well, consider that many people are playing them for the first time on emulators and we've already seen examples of cases where wrong behavior was fixed and it generated bug reports(Star Fox, most notably).
And as we now know, Air Strike Patrol is not emulated right on ANYTHING but byuu's reeeeeeally slow per-pixel renderer. It appears to be the ONLY game that makes use of sub-scanline effects, but it's entirely possible for homebrew code to do this(admittedly not likely, since it won't work at all in ZSNES or SNES9x).

Personally, I think an as-close-as-possible emulator is something that SHOULD exist.
Homebrew and ROM hacking should always be tested on it.
It ensures compatibility with a real system and avoids any future versions of the issue we're seeing now, where code made against older emulators doesn't work right in newer versions.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

I imagine someone doing homebrew should probably own a flash cart to test their code. Not that there is anyone really doing serious snes homebrew stuff.

Not that I am saying that an accurate emulator shouldn't exist, it is just that you also shouldn't be expecting the masses to convert over to it. My argument is that if the masses really want complete accuracy, they should play the game on the actual system. That is why I own a flash cart. That is why people make reproductions. Emulators are for people who want portability and features that cannot be done on a real system, like netplay, movie creation, screenshots and to play hacks (and of course those who are too cheap to buy a real system and just want to play games for free).
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Personally, I think an as-close-as-possible emulator is something that SHOULD exist.
I also do. I'm just claiming (so far no solid proof to go along, and I work much, much, much [x104] slower than byuu even in his worst days, props to him for that) that it can be done faster. Fast enough for consumption, if you will.
Draegur wrote:Hasn't anyone considered the fact that A and Z are RIGHT next to each other on the keyboard
how inconsiderate of the qwertz users !

(not even talking about those dvorak freaks)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I don't know anything about whether it could be much faster but I do know that it probably runs reasonably well on any modern, even low end desktop computer you can buy in a store. Most laptops too outside of netbooks, so while I don't think he should give up on optimizing, I don't think the case for it's consumptability is as bad as people make it seem, especially in probably just a couple years. I'm not sure if you're serious about the accuracy/speed split but I think he should just focus on accuracy and make it a decent (readable) representation of a SNES, and leave the performance emulation to zsnes and snes9x.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

Post by Yoshiyuki Blade »

I'm all for as-accurate-as-possible emulation as well. However, I continue to wait patiently for ZSNES 2.0 mostly because I've stuck with ZSNES for over 10 years. Not only that, it has the best movie dumping functionality I've seen, IMO. I love manipulating the raw video in AVISynth however I want. SNES9x can technically do the same if you use a lossless RGB codec, but I still can't get used to the interface. However, judging by the fact that it's often used for TAS, it should be every bit as capable as ZSNES for my uses. Regardless, I've done all my experiments/practice on my favorite emulator and probably won't change anytime soon. :mrgreen:
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

If HQ4x remains available in pre-compiled builds then I will switch back from bSNES.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

but...

HQ4x is available.. in windows at least. It's just the x axis needs to be > 1024 and the y axis needs to be > 960 in size.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yeah and until it reaches a decent level of compatibility (audio wise at least) while retaining the 4x HQ and 4x normal (pixellated) filter, I won't be switching back to Zsnes.

If there is no filter, the only reason I would use Zsnes would be netplay unless bSNES gets that added by then...
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Sessh
Rookie

Post by Sessh »

I just signed up to comment on this thread and I am glad ZSNES will see a v2.0!

I have used ZSNES since I started playing SNES games on my system and have never had a major problem with anything at all. I do hope there are some specific additions to v2.0, though.

I really really hope that v2.0 has real time AVI recording with no change at all to gameplay (sound, video, everything 100% intact during recording) as I think this is the biggest feature that ZSNES is lacking. I know that SNES9x has this feature, but it is extremely buggy and crashes all the time either during or immediately after stopping recording. For long videos, there is progressively worse A/V sync issues and for someone who likes to record full length game videos (IE: megaman X from start to finish without taking damage), this is a deal breaker. The only reason I tried that one was because I wanted to record. I know that recording is possible with v1.52, but every link on this site to the right version of LAME no longer works and the same for MEncoder. I am actually surprised these necessary files aren't included in the ZSNES zip file. I would rather use this program over snes9 x any day, so I am really hoping this feature is included. It kinda sucks that it takes as much time to "dump" the avi as it takes to record it which could mean waiting 30 minutes or even an hour.

ZSNES was the first fully functional SNES emulator and is still the best IMO, so it should also certainly be the first to have a fully functional real-time AVI recorder that doesn't make the game sound like crap while recording and always records videos with perfect A/V sync.

How far along is v2.0 and will it have these features?

l8rz
Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

Post by Yoshiyuki Blade »

There's always Fraps for real-time recording (assuming it works for ZSNES). What's wrong with off-line video dumping? Instead of dealing with the headaches and possible imperfections of real-time recording, you can get a pristine, full speed and perfectly synchronized video file by dumping it offline. You also get the opportunity to edit the video however you want to. Dumping the raw BGR video gives me a chance to upscale it before any color information gets lost. And all the time it takes is 1x the speed of the ZMV segment.

With the proper know-how, you can create fully functional video with ZSNES right now with AVISynth and a few other tools. I've recorded FF6 nearly from start-to-finish that looks seamless (except that I cut out most of the battle sequences), but eventually I stopped working on it for a couple reasons. First reason was when I heard that 2.0 was in the works. I hope that it'll resolve some of the minor sound/graphic issues that's currently present. Secondly, the run itself was pretty terrible. It wasn't meant to be a super crazy TAS run, but I did a lot of things that I could have done differently to save a lot of time. Third, there's an annoying quirk with Youtube that totally butchers 1080p video. Don't laugh! Even though the SNES is 224 lines, scaling interpolation really screws with the sharpness of the pixels. I'm probably one of the few people who prefer the unfiltered look. Simply by chopping off a couple pixels (upload at 1078p), Youtube maintains the full resolution. It's a shame when I watch other HD videos (non SNES) just to see a large hit in visual quality because of how Youtube handled the video. Had I known this before, I would have taken it into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jw9ywuDW4U

I recorded up to before Kefka's tower on my system, but uploaded up to early WoR. Scrapped everything I had and been messing around with different techniques. It's been nearly a year since then, but I'll continue to wait it out.

I was messing around with it again today and uploaded a 35 sec. clip. It looks a lot sharper/cleaner now in HD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIu74ZQhUA
stigmata
Nazi

Post by stigmata »

So I heard ZSNES was dead. Is it true!?
[b]stigmata[/b]
badinsults

Post by badinsults »

Holy smokes, it is Stigmata.

It has been a few years.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

@Yoshiyuki Blade

I believe ZSNES uses a version of Direct X not supported by Fraps.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

stigmata wrote:So I heard ZSNES was dead. Is it true!?
as dead as those zombies wanting to eat your brains

also heya dood long time no see
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Draegur

Post by Draegur »

Well, I mean, it's always struck me as though there's not much room left for improvement. I would even rather play my games on ZSNES than on an actual super nintendo entertainment system :p Maybe SOME games aren't rendered to 100% perfection, but it many ways, ZSNES is better than the original, and I'm more quick to blame the games than blame the emulator, heheh.