ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

paulguy
Zealot

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by paulguy »

The standard for binary packages is to provide required libraries with the software, or some way to acquire them, as in Windows. That doesn't do much for multilib libraries missing completely, though.

Either way, ldd gives you more information on what file was missing.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Windows only slides by because it bundles the full system libraries in both 32 and 64 bits. In other words, multilib.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Linux typically does too nowadays with most distributions.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Just an update since I have been silent for a while.

My computer is toast so I have no idea when or if I will continue working on things. I only have a 8 year old laptop which is not suitable for development and I have a lot of other expenses right now. So i am not sure what the future of ZSNES is right now. I had a Core 2 Quad computer which is going on 10 years old now, it refuses to boot now and it's hard to say what kind the problem is so buying a new motherboard and CPU is probably required and I don't have the money right now to spend on something. Unless someone knows of a good deal for getting parts on a decent system to do development. I have already invested a lot of my own money into obtaining hardware/games and other equipment needed to reverse engineer parts of the SNES and NES (yes I know documentation exists but it doesn't hurt to have a second go at it to make sure everything is right).

I still have the source code so at some point I may work on it again but until then I don't have a development machine to work on it. But until then the product is in hiatus.
Watering ur plants.
dusthillguy

Post by dusthillguy »

I'd be willing to donate some amount to fund a new computer, if it would mean that zsnes would continue to exist.

Or maybe I could give you an old computer I have handy, if you live in the UK. dunno though, is an AthlonX2 2.1GHz powerful enough for development? it's probably not even better than your old laptop.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:Just an update since I have been silent for a while.

My computer is toast so I have no idea when or if I will continue working on things. I only have a 8 year old laptop which is not suitable for development and I have a lot of other expenses right now. So i am not sure what the future of ZSNES is right now. I had a Core 2 Quad computer which is going on 10 years old now, it refuses to boot now and it's hard to say what kind the problem is so buying a new motherboard and CPU is probably required and I don't have the money right now to spend on something. Unless someone knows of a good deal for getting parts on a decent system to do development. I have already invested a lot of my own money into obtaining hardware/games and other equipment needed to reverse engineer parts of the SNES and NES (yes I know documentation exists but it doesn't hurt to have a second go at it to make sure everything is right).

I still have the source code so at some point I may work on it again but until then I don't have a development machine to work on it. But until then the product is in hiatus.
Damn, that sucks dude, I wish I had a spare computer or laptop I can use to donate to help further things along, but I don't know what I have that I could possibly donate. Have you asked around other Zsnes developers to see if they could pitch in with hardware? Just curious, as I'm sure this has been a source of a lot of stress for you, I can't imagine. As far as it refusing to boot, does it make any sounds when turning on? Very well could simply be the PSU, which should be easy to replace and a lot cheaper than a CPU or motherboard.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It's pretty much only me now, the other guys I guess are not interested or have enough time to work on this stuff anymore. The CPU is done I tried it in another motherboard so I will need to get a new mobo/cpu and ram, the rest is salvagable since I had upgraded everything else (video/storage etc). if I can find a good bundle on a 4th gen i7 I might jump on it.
Watering ur plants.
dusthillguy

Post by dusthillguy »

Is there any chance of the source being released in the future?

Edit: I didn't mean to be rude to anyone with this post.
epman6
Rookie

Post by epman6 »

dusthillguy wrote:Is there any chance of the source being released in the future?

Edit: I didn't mean to be rude to anyone with this post.
not in the near future...at least not for the rest of 2015.
yeah major bummer for pagefault's computer breaking down a few weeks ago. I recently fixed up an old HP pavilion a6110n computer by replacing the faulty m2n68-la motherboard on there though it uses an amd athlon x2 4400+ 2.3ghz cpu - definitely slower than any intel core 2 quad or 4th gen intel i7 core cpu.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

pagefault wrote:It's pretty much only me now, the other guys I guess are not interested or have enough time to work on this stuff anymore.
or have computer issues of their own -_-
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
pagefault wrote:It's pretty much only me now, the other guys I guess are not interested or have enough time to work on this stuff anymore.
or have computer issues of their own -_-
I told you not to let the Prinnies have screwdrivers, no matter how good an idea they said it was.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

There are no plans to release the source code for the new version.
Watering ur plants.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Not even if the binaries get released?
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

paulguy wrote:Not even if the binaries get released?
What do you mean if?
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Is anyone else a developer here, though?
:3
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I currently don't have the financial budget to continue working on ZSNES so I will be putting it aside for the time being. I have other stuff to do and irl stuff. This may change later but there isn't really any incentive for me to continue working on it. I won't release binaries because I may come back to it at some point.
Watering ur plants.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

pagefault wrote:I currently don't have the financial budget to continue working on ZSNES so I will be putting it aside for the time being. I have other stuff to do and irl stuff. This may change later but there isn't really any incentive for me to continue working on it. I won't release binaries because I may come back to it at some point.
thx for all you have done Pagefault ^_^ I will continue to use v1.51 the cherished version.
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
GPU: nVidia/EVGA RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Favorite Emulators:
PS2(x64): PCSX2 (Downloads)
SNES : ZSNES
N64 : Project64

ZSNES:
v1.51 (FuSoYa's 8MB fix R2)(Compiled Myself)
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:I currently don't have the financial budget to continue working on ZSNES so I will be putting it aside for the time being. I have other stuff to do and irl stuff. This may change later but there isn't really any incentive for me to continue working on it. I won't release binaries because I may come back to it at some point.
It's okay man, these things do happen, so at least for now, Zsnes is in a stasis of sorts, don't be too hard on yourself about it though, it's all good :mrgreen:
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Sorry to hear about the money troubles man and I hope things get better for you very soon. Good luck and all the updates have been appreciated.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I'm working on a non ZSNES related project right now instead so hopefully that pans out.
Watering ur plants.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

We are announcing our next project soon. A Wii U emulator.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:We are announcing our next project soon. A Wii U emulator.
Oh wow, heh heh heh :mrgreen:
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
Wait what? I'm confused. So I take it that Zsnes is dead, and if that's the case, shouldn't this thread name be changed to "Zsnes is now dead"? Just saying. Sad to see such a great legacy die -_- I was really looking forward to seeing future endeavors.

C'est la vie.

Maybe a GoFundMe or something?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

pagefault wrote:It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
Hopefully the death of zsnes then. Better off dead than commercial and closed.