ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by nintendo_nerd »

paulguy wrote:
pagefault wrote:It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
Hopefully the death of zsnes then. Better off dead than commercial and closed.
I think at the very least a fundraiser or something be established so Zsnes can be continued for free, while having the means to support oneself, a lot of emulators are paid , at least on Google Play, yes but at the same time, I have no idea what's going on anymore.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Or adopt the "paid beta preview" stance that PJ64 was using(oddly enough, they quit making non-beta releases at the same time). And put some adware in the beta installer while you're at it.
No need to go total commercial!

(Is it actually possible, legally speaking, to relicense away from GPL?)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I believe it's from scratch so yeah it would be.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

So right now, it's in limbo, ugh.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I'm having trouble caring one way or another.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

kode54 wrote:I'm having trouble caring one way or another.
Ouch... oO
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I see where you're coming from but I oppose the idea of charging for emulators, so like nintendo_nerd said it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask for donations and such so at least ZSNES, if continued, stays free. Personally I'd rather ZSNES remain as it is and retain its amazing legacy than become for-profit. I'll stick to 9x 1.53 & the newer 9x test builds. It's fast, pretty damn accurate, and free.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:I see where you're coming from but I oppose the idea of charging for emulators, so like nintendo_nerd said it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask for donations and such so at least ZSNES, if continued, stays free. Personally I'd rather ZSNES remain as it is and retain its amazing legacy than become for-profit. I'll stick to 9x 1.53 & the newer 9x test builds. It's fast, pretty damn accurate, and free.

The only emulators I paid for were DraStic and ePSXe on Android (which work beautifully with my Moga controller, feels like a 360 pad), solely for the purpose of supporting emulator devs, the only time I'll ever pay and even then, I was wary to do it, but yeah I agree that Snes9x 1.53 test builds may not be as accurate as Higan (as if most people can differentiate between the two, aside from like, what, two games that use dot-based rendering or some BS like that), but they work very well, fast, accurate.

A Gofundme would work good for helping moving this along. If he doesn't start then, then I will just so he knows that people want to help, you know?
Vaporeon

Post by Vaporeon »

So I guess this truly is the future of emulation now.
Sad.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
kode54 wrote:I'm having trouble caring one way or another.
Ouch... oO
The original developers are gone. The remaining product has been dead for years now. It is gone and replaced by better things. Anything that would replace it would be ZSNES in name only.
orarytemp323

Post by orarytemp323 »

pagefault wrote:It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
First let me be clear that I am absolutely not against anyone being paid for their work, and no offense is meant. If you feel a "but" coming, that's because their is.

But, the only result I see coming from charging for zsnes is far fewer people using zsnes. I have strong serious doubts about it being worth your while, even were you to maintain a lesser "still free" version. The problem isn't the fan backlash, its that they have access to multiple alternatives that can do the job. I think you would be better off re-opening the source and passing the project off to new maintainers if you can no longer handle it as a labor of love (you referred to it as slave labor, a sign you do not want to do this anymore). Which brings me to another problem: though extremely outdated, lacking your newer rewrite, people would undoubtedly fork from the older code that is available (I have a self compiled modded copy myself, and I know I'm not alone).

You might have better luck with your Wii U emulator - you don't have half a dozen free competitors on that front.

Final thought: I'd be extremely supportive of a pay-to-upgrade model starting from a feature limited base (for both emulators, even though I don't think it'll work out like you hope for zsnes).
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

First of all lets set some things straight.

That comment was in repose to another comment and was not supposed to be taken seriously. ZSNES is free it always will be. Why would you charge for it when you can just get a free emulator somewhere else. Even if we were going to charge for it, it would be for the rewrite and if we wanted to charge we have every right to do so, even though it would be a stupid business decision.

We have spent a good two decades of our lives giving to the community and someone takes some random forum comment and twists it. Pretty disgusting.

If we had any official plans to charge for it we would have made an official announcement, you know how a business would do.

Anyway thanks Internet for being sensational for no reason.
Watering ur plants.
orarytemp323

Post by orarytemp323 »

pagefault wrote:First of all lets set some things straight.

That comment was in repose to another comment and was not supposed to be taken seriously. ZSNES is free it always will be. Why would you charge for it when you can just get a free emulator somewhere else. Even if we were going to charge for it, it would be for the rewrite and if we wanted to charge we have every right to do so, even though it would be a stupid business decision.

We have spent a good two decades of our lives giving to the community and someone takes some random forum comment and twists it. Pretty disgusting.

If we had any official plans to charge for it we would have made an official announcement, you know how a business would do.

Anyway thanks Internet for being sensational for no reason.
Unwise to make such a joke, text mediums don't carry cues such as tone.
It won't be free and future ZSNES releases won't because we have reached the point where we can't work for free like slave labour for a "cause". Time is money friend.
That sentence really has no indication of not being serious to people who don't know you.

Anyway, thank you for setting the record straight, and inbe4 redditors accuse you of backpeddling to save face.

Edit: called it! https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... ll/czz0g9y
Last edited by orarytemp323 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

The internet is full of sensationalist people. I am not backpeddling on anything if I say I am going to start a space company and go to the moon you think everyone is going to believe me?

Look at the facts here:

1) There are tons of other SNES emulators that are free and better than ZSNES
2) A rewrite would only make it the same or better because of some differentiating features but would still do the same thing.
3) Most of the research came from the community free of cost so charging for using that is kind of disrespectful.

Why are the hate. People get a grip.
Watering ur plants.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

pagefault wrote:if I say I am going to start a space company and go to the moon you think everyone is going to believe me?
Hey, SOMEONE'S gotta get us back there, may as well be you.

Besides, we don't actually know that you AREN'T Elon Musk.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
orarytemp323

Post by orarytemp323 »

Just saying, a lot of the reddit folks are turds so I won't be surprised if they still give your crap over it. You set it straight, it should be all cool now.

I myself wasn't concerned till I checked your own boards here, where people even as far as page 26 also took you seriously.

Edit:
Tell me more about this space company! Can I preorder a trip to Titan?

edit 2:
Moderator Reverend_Sins would be one of those turds, guy really hates zsnes and hates anyone that doesn't join his little hate bandwagon. #behindthescenedrama #redditmetadrama
Last edited by orarytemp323 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I just don't like people taking a crap over stuff that is a non issue. They probably use higan or snes9x anyway so I don't even know why it affects them. I will continue to work on things at my own pace and it won't cost you anything. No one writes emulators for money.
Watering ur plants.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

It's interesting how this blew up on reddit supposedly, but they're so brand-loyal to reddit that they didn't bother posting here. :p
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:It's interesting how this blew up on reddit supposedly, but they're so brand-loyal to reddit that they didn't bother posting here. :p
Not that it's stopping them from hammering the site, if forum sluggishness is any indication.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

No one's faulting you or trying to call you out, if anything, we wish for the best. Other people on the internet, though, they're just pricks.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

My mistake then if it wasn't meant to be taken literally. Sarcasm doesn't translate that well to text often times because body language and voice tone play such a big part in person.
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

I would probably not took that as sarcasm although, the amount of work that was done (and time lost) it could have been taken seriously anyway...
I also agree Reddit is full of idiots who take threads so far off topic I don't know what's supposed to be discussed about in the first place after a few comments or so.

ZSNES to the end of the life.
:3
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Termingamer2-JD wrote:I would probably not took that as sarcasm although, the amount of work that was done (and time lost) it could have been taken seriously anyway...
I also agree Reddit is full of idiots who take threads so far off topic I don't know what's supposed to be discussed about in the first place after a few comments or so.

ZSNES to the end of the life.
You could also translate my post to "I don't wanna start any gay internet drama" as well. I don't wanna make a mountain out of a molehill since I already have other emulators I can use and nobody wins in flame wars.
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

Been gone awhile, what's new? :D
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

someone wrote:Been gone awhile, what's new? :D
Drama.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads