Audio problems with Skype and ZSNES

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Rachel1987

Audio problems with Skype and ZSNES

Post by Rachel1987 »

I'm having some problems with Skype and ZSNES. If I'm in a call over Skype and I open up ZSNES, the call audio drops. The person that I'm in the call with can still hear me but I can't hear them. The only way that I can get the call audio back is if I end the call, end ZSNES and start the call again.

Is/has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for it?

I'm using ZSNES 1.51 and Skype 4.1.0 with Windows XP.

And sorry if I'm in the wrong sub-forum.

Thanks in advance!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Try checking "Use Primary Buffer" in Config->Sound and see if that helps.

I don't think it's a good idea to have two different apps using the sound card like that... if you can configure Skype to use a different sound device, whether it be Waveout/Directsound or whatever options are provided, that might be a better solution.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

I have been running into this problem myself too, even to the point of the call actually dropping. Even with 2 sound devices, the problem still happens, BUT I think this is a Skype problem. Well it sure does seem like a problem with Skype, and even if its something that ZSNES does that Skype dislikes. Whats worse is when I right-clicking something or nothing at all in a window of Windows Explorer, that will cause Skype to "pause" its sound.
Rachel1987

Post by Rachel1987 »

Deathlike2 wrote:Try checking "Use Primary Buffer" in Config->Sound and see if that helps.

I don't think it's a good idea to have two different apps using the sound card like that... if you can configure Skype to use a different sound device, whether it be Waveout/Directsound or whatever options are provided, that might be a better solution.
I have the "use primary buffer" thing checked while all this is going on. And the only option that I have to pick from through Skype as far as sound goes is 'Realtek HD Audio Input'.
Truth Unknown wrote:I have been running into this problem myself too, even to the point of the call actually dropping. Even with 2 sound devices, the problem still happens, BUT I think this is a Skype problem. Well it sure does seem like a problem with Skype, and even if its something that ZSNES does that Skype dislikes. Whats worse is when I right-clicking something or nothing at all in a window of Windows Explorer, that will cause Skype to "pause" its sound.
And I'm not having the problem with Windows Explorer because I'm using Firefox. I don't know what that's about at all. Usually Skype works very well for me except when it comes to running it alongside Zsnes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Rachel1987 wrote: And I'm not having the problem with Windows Explorer because I'm using Firefox.
Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Rachel1987

Post by Rachel1987 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Rachel1987 wrote: And I'm not having the problem with Windows Explorer because I'm using Firefox.
Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer.
Oh, haha. Must have read that one wrong, sorry. =P

But what I said is still true, I don't seem to be having those issues with Windows Explorer either.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

So... did you try with "Use Primary Buffer" disabled?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

All I can think of is that sometimes it matters the order in which you load the apps...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

probably unrelated, but check your DPC Latency.

type the bolded part into google if you don't know how.
Mutroid

Re: Audio problems with Skype and ZSNES

Post by Mutroid »

Hi all this is my first post and I've actually registered because of this thread. I'm so so sorry for bumping this 4 year old thread but I've came up with a solution.

Just make sure you(and your friend) have your "HIGH PRIORITY MODE" option checked off at the Config->Option
This worked for me & buddies.