Super Mario RPG sound issues

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Lord Hemlock

Super Mario RPG sound issues

Post by Lord Hemlock »

Alright, I've got a problem that I'm not sure is fixable, but I figured I'd still ask. When I'm playing SMRPG, it seems like over half the sounds are just not what they were in the actually SNES system and cartridge. Is there a way to fix that? And why does it do this? I'm planning on doing an Let's Play of the game, and if I could get the sounds cleaned up, it would be very helpful. I'm using a version of Super Mario RPG found -nowhere-, and I'm using the latest version (1.51) of ZSNES. I also have made a copy of my dxdiag if anyone needs a few more of my specs. For now, I'll just post the basics from it.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/13/2010, 15:27:24
Machine name: HEMLOCK-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 2005MB used, 4321MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode

ninja edit: see adventure_of_link's post
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Super Mario RPG sound issues

Post by paulguy »

Zsnes is known to have problems with sound and a lot of problems specifically with super Mario rpg unrelated to sound. You'll probably have to use snes9x. Also please if you do a let's play, don't upload videos where you're mostly grinding or anything like that, unless there's some specific tips you have to offer or something.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

Oh trust me, I know better than that. All grinding will be done off screen. I don't know, SNES9x keeps giving me grief. It keeps lagging for some reason.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, your lag with snes9x is probably more likely fixable than zsnes's sound problems.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Just as a heads-up...

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12400

oh yeah, and please don't mention rom sites, even if you're just speaking of the title.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

My bad. I was just trying to give the most amount of info I could so I could get the most help for the problem, what with there being different versions of many different roms.
Evenstevenp

Post by Evenstevenp »

Heads up, ZSNES has a problem with equipping weapons in this game. It'll freeze unless you move the cursor really fast. :/
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

Evenstevenp wrote:Heads up, ZSNES has a problem with equipping weapons in this game. It'll freeze unless you move the cursor really fast. :/
Wasn't that issue just in the latest version of ZSNES? I started fiddling with 1.42 so a friend of mine can watch me play and record.

Also, would anyone be interested in my Let's Play once I get it posted? I mean, I would put it in the appropriate forum section, of course.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

1.42 and 1.36 (Windows) "should" not freeze at random moments in the game including inventory screens.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

Bsnes? Well, mainly because I'd never heard of it before. I'll look around for it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

It might not work so well for you, minimum requirments are a core 2 2.4ghz processor iirc
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

True true, but even if it doesn't work on my laptop, I can always use it on my desktop when I get bored. I love having the i7 processor in there... and I can't use Camtasia on that rig because my trial is up, and I'm lacking $300 to buy it. And I really don't feel like pirating it.

Regardless, I poked around with it last night and it didn't seem to run too bad. Thank you for telling me about that. I hadn't heard anything about it until you mentioned something.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Evenstevenp wrote:Heads up, ZSNES has a problem with equipping weapons in this game. It'll freeze unless you move the cursor really fast. :/
didn't I just post the link about quit complaining about SA-1 games not too long ago

dammit
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Camtasia isn't the _only_ screen video capture program. I know there's at least one completely free one for windows (camstudio?) and one that has a free version that doesn't have a watermark (debut? I think.). There's also fraps which as far as I know works better than camtasia and is only ~$50 I believe. And for the love of god, avoid Unregistered HyperCam 2 like the plague.

As for your lag issues with snes9x, try capturing a smaller window, and for your master copy, I'd have it recorded in a 2x R mode, with unfiltered pixels, so you can do any nice high quality scaling afterwards.
Lord Hemlock

Post by Lord Hemlock »

There are a couple problems with camstudio, one of which being that it won't record system sound and my usb headset, and my sound card doesn't want to use a microphone. Fraps doesn't detect ZSNES, but I might try one of the older versions... that and I haven't tried it with Bsnes yet.... Eh, I'll poke around and give it a shot. Still, anyone want to see it when it's done? Would I be allowed to just give you guys a link to my youtube channel?