Can't play SMW hacks

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sempiro

Can't play SMW hacks

Post by sempiro »

I have problem with patching. I've read every thread about it, but nothing works.

1. I got both clean ROMs, both USA and japanese.
2. I open Lunar IPS, then patch hack to clean ROMs.
3. When I load them it says CHKSUM:FAIL and BAD ROM, then screen goes black.
4. It happens to all hacks.

Clean ROMs work perfectly. I download everything from smwcentral.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Can't play SMW hacks

Post by odditude »

most likely possibilities:
1. your hacks require a headered ROM and yours is headerless (or vice versa).
2. you're patching a zipped/compressed ROM
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sempiro

Post by sempiro »

odditude wrote:most likely possibilities:
1. your hacks require a headered ROM and yours is headerless (or vice versa).
2. you're patching a zipped/compressed ROM
I've downloaded TUSH but when I load any ROM it says: "Unable to load file for reading" :/ And no, I don't patch zipped ROMs.
epman6
Rookie

Post by epman6 »

the original unmodified (and headered) SMW ROM should have a file size of exactly 524800 bytes.
an original but non-headered SMW ROM should have a file size of exactly 524288 bytes.

if the SMW hacks you obtained require the headered SMW ROM, check to see if the file size is correct.
use the NSRT 3.4 tool to do this (instead of TUSH, whatever that is). you can even use the NSRT tool
to add or remove a header onto the SMW ROM and then try to use the IPS file to patch to an SMW ROM.
sempiro

Post by sempiro »

epman6 wrote:the original unmodified (and headered) SMW ROM should have a file size of exactly 524800 bytes.
an original but non-headered SMW ROM should have a file size of exactly 524288 bytes.

if the SMW hacks you obtained require the headered SMW ROM, check to see if the file size is correct.
use the NSRT 3.4 tool to do this (instead of TUSH, whatever that is). you can even use the NSRT tool
to add or remove a header onto the SMW ROM and then try to use the IPS file to patch to an SMW ROM.
Thanks for your reply. Everything is okay now, turns out I had non-headered ROMs :)
This is TUSH: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/