Trouble with zsnes going fullscreen with windows 7

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Micycle

Trouble with zsnes going fullscreen with windows 7

Post by Micycle »

I've used previous versions of zsnes on other computers before and had no problem at all. On this computer I'm running windows 7 and every time I try to go to fullscreen mode all I get is a black screen. Sometimes restarting the program will return me to windowed mode (which works fine), other times I've had to delete the files zsnes creates in the folder it's in to get it back to windowed mode. Sometimes an error box will pop up:

DirectDraw Error

IDirectDraw7::SetDisplayMode failed.
Make sure your video card supports this mode.

Any clue how to get this working in full screen?

Thanks
dfreer
Lurker

Re: Trouble with zsnes going fullscreen with windows 7

Post by dfreer »

Make sure your video card supports this mode
What mode are you setting it to? What modes does your screen support?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You are better off making a large Windowed screen with a custom resolution to be close to Fullscreen.... that's the way to go usually.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Micycle

Post by Micycle »

dfreer wrote:
Make sure your video card supports this mode
What mode are you setting it to? What modes does your screen support?
I'm using ATI Radeon HD 4650, and when I open up the program for it I'm not sure what to look for. By "mode" what setting is it refering to?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

For our purposes here, mode is the combination of resolution, color depth, and refresh rate.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Micycle wrote:I'm using ATI Radeon HD 4650, and when I open up the program for it I'm not sure what to look for. By "mode" what setting is it refering to?
Hint: It's under Config -> Video. You need to know what resolution your monitor/video card supports, a good idea is the resolution you have it set to right now. Right-click the on the desktop background, go to Screen Resolution. It will tell you there what you have it currently set to. Then set that resolution in ZSNES Config -> Video.

Also hint: Alt+Enter should take you out of fullscreen if you set the wrong mode and get a black screen.
blitzaxis

Re: Trouble with zsnes going fullscreen with windows 8

Post by blitzaxis »

I have the exact same problem now only that i used windows 8... My laptop it seems dosnt have a way to disable the hardware accelerator.. i have directx 11. Can someone guide me? I use vizzed website when playing zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) games. you cant adjust the resolution .. anyway it wont help since cause its already set to the lowest around 640x something i think..
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

You don't want to disable the accelerator. The problem is, the accelerator isn't being used by ZSNES on Windows 8 and up. You should look into trying Snes9x 1.53 instead. Your ears will thank you, too.

Also, hint for the future, try posting new topics instead of bumping 5 year old ones.