Mouse/Keyboard don't work when controller is plugged in

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

fifty-two

Mouse/Keyboard don't work when controller is plugged in

Post by fifty-two »

Hello!

First of all, this being the ZSNES board, I just want to say that anyone who went into the design of this program, you have my sincere gratitude. I've been enjoying Mario ROM hacks for years, and playing them with friends even! ZSNES not only has brought nostalgic good-vibes for me, but even allowed me to go on some new adventures!

Anyways, to the problem (tl/dr at the bottom):

I somewhat recently got a new laptop that runs Windows 10. This, along with my instance to play with my laptop hooked up to my TV, has created a whole host of problems with ZSNES, but I've been able to work through all of them up to this point. And I don't even think this problem is related.

Out of the blue one day, the mouse, and most of the keyboard, wouldn't respond when I started up ZSNES. I eventually went into the config file and set it so that the controller could work the menu, but this leaves me no safe option for closing the program (not to mention it takes away my ability to use my very precious save states with the f2 and f4 keys!)

So I sort of pounded my head on a wall for awhile and gave up. Today, on a whim, I started up ZSNES, and the mouse and keyboard were working perfectly! So I backed out of the emulator, plugged in my controller, and restarted. Alas, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. So I repeated that process a few times.

It seems that the controller is overriding the mouse/keyboard out-of-the-blue, after no modifications from me to the program and it successfully working previously.

The controller I'm using is an XBox 1 controller hooked through a USB cable, if that helps. But I don't think it's the controller, since this combination was working fine just a few days ago.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Mouse/Keyboard don't work when controller is plugged in

Post by odditude »

i'd suspect one of the following:
  • the driver or a utility for the xbox controller was updated and its behavior changed
  • a keymapping utility was installed/updated/reconfigured
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.