How well does Link to the Past work on ZSNES

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

16 bit boy

How well does Link to the Past work on ZSNES

Post by 16 bit boy »

I am using version 1.51 and the ROM is legitimate. But before I go investing 20 hours and end up running into problems, I thought I would ask if any of you have had any trouble getting all the way through the game, and I also thought I would ask how well the in-game save works, seeing as how there isn't a battery on a ROM.

Thanks a lot.

P.S - I am also wondering the same for FFIII, but didn't want to create an entirely new thread to ask basically the same question twice.
Gonzo
Regular

Re: How well does Link to the Past work on ZSNES

Post by Gonzo »

I've played and finished A Link To the Past numerous times with zsnes without any issue. Also never had a problem with the in game saving.

I've only played through FF3 once with zsnes and I was able to get through it without any issues.

As long as you have good verified rom images of those games, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh and just to cut you off at the pass right here, please don't come back here in a week or so time and complain that Final Fantasy 3 isn't emulating properly because blind seems to have zero effect on any of your party. That's a glitch within the game itself, not an emulation issue. Final Fantasy 3 has some pretty severe bugs, and by severe I mean that if you exploit said bugs you can finish the game with no difficulty.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

As far as I know, the biggest "issue" with Zelda 3 is that the Triforce spinning animation on the title sequence runs too fast.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
16 bit boy

Post by 16 bit boy »

Hey guys, thanks a lot. I really, really appreciate it.

And thanks for the heads up on the FFIII glitches.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Be aware that there currently are graphical glitches in FF6 (or FFIII), due to inaccurate RTO handling. Some sprites will show up when they're not supposed to (like the hand pointer, or characters). Some sound effects will also not sound right.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

Both games are nearly flawless.

I am playing through ALTTP again now actually.
bringing Zsnes back
16 bit boy

Post by 16 bit boy »

You guys are excellent. Thank you all so much for the help, it's really put my mind at ease.

In regards to FFIII, I am instead considering playing FFVI using Visual Boy (GBA), seeing as how some of the glitches have been addressed. However, what I don't want is my first experience with FFIII/FFVI to be compromised, courtesy of what may or may not be a watered down port. I have heard both good and bad things about the GBA version.

I am leaning towards going with the SNES version and just accepting the glitches (and poorer translation, from what I've heard) as part of the overall experience.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

16 bit boy wrote:You guys are excellent. Thank you all so much for the help, it's really put my mind at ease.

In regards to FFIII, I am instead considering playing FFVI using Visual Boy (GBA), seeing as how some of the glitches have been addressed. However, what I don't want is my first experience with FFIII/FFVI to be compromised, courtesy of what may or may not be a watered down port. I have heard both good and bad things about the GBA version.

I am leaning towards going with the SNES version and just accepting the glitches (and poorer translation, from what I've heard) as part of the overall experience.
There's nothing wrong with the SNES translation. At all.

Oh, boo-hoo, some old coot is drinking hard cider instead of sake.
GET OVER IT.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

you son of a submariner
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

16 bit boy wrote:In regards to FFIII, I am instead considering playing FFVI using Visual Boy (GBA), seeing as how some of the glitches have been addressed. However, what I don't want is my first experience with FFIII/FFVI to be compromised, courtesy of what may or may not be a watered down port. I have heard both good and bad things about the GBA version.

As was mentioned, the original SNES translation is excellent. The only people that hate it are wannabe japanese, the people who would have the characters call each other -chan and -san if they had their way.

There is nothing about it that would justify going with the washed out colors, cramped screen and bad sound of the GBA version. There's even patch released for the SNES version that fixes any actual bugs in the game, as well as typos in the script: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/232/
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

blackmyst wrote:There is nothing about it that would justify going with the washed out colors, cramped screen and bad sound of the GBA version
...unless you're actually playing it on a GBA (or DS).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
blackmyst wrote:There is nothing about it that would justify going with the washed out colors, cramped screen and bad sound of the GBA version
...unless you're actually playing it on a GBA (or DS).
Even then, they messed up pretty badly.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

grinvader wrote:you son of a submariner
Wait, he says. Do I look like a waiter?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
grinvader wrote:you son of a submariner
Wait, he says. Do I look like a waiter?
Uweeheehee.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You're too late. It's over once the crazy man laughs.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
16 bit boy

Post by 16 bit boy »

Forgive my earlier blasphemy, for I knew not what I spoke - I will definitely play the SNES version of FFIII/FFVI! I will start it as soon as I finish Link to the Past - which is running perfectly, by the way.

Thanks guys!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

16 bit boy wrote:Forgive my earlier blasphemy, for I knew not what I spoke - I will definitely play the SNES version of FFIII/FFVI! I will start it as soon as I finish Link to the Past - which is running perfectly, by the way.

Thanks guys!
It's not running perfectly. It's running good enough-ly.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

It was a while ago but both games ran pretty much perfectly for me. My favorite version of FF6 is the Japanese translated version from RPGOne with no censorship. The dialogue and names are much different, but it's nice playing a fully uncensored version of my 2nd favorite game of all time, Chrono Trigger being #1. I'm using 9x for it atm, but when I played it with ZSNES I don't remember many problems other than some cursor bugs.

Also, even without the bugs FF6 is a very easy game which is my only problem with it. You shouldn't be able to kill the final boss in literally 1 turn with the Genji Glove/Offering combo. There's a hack called FF3nova(and many other hardtype hacks) that makes the game much harder and the final boss is a BEAST. As in 200k+ HP and Life3 is required because you'll get hit with attacks that do 9999 to everyone. That's more like it!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

you spoony bard
皆黙って俺について来い!!

16 bit boy

Post by 16 bit boy »

Thanks guys!

I will look into that FF3Nova right away!
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

If you're gonna play the gba you'll need to get the accurate sound patch and, the color correction patch. But even with that something still is off about the way it looks. I think its just the lower resolution. I dont care for it.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

16 bit boy wrote:Thanks guys!

Honestly I don't think you should listen to people who would recommend some sort of hardmode hack for a first playthrough. Just like with the translation, complaints about difficulty are hilariously exaggerated by self-professed hardcore gamers.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
16 bit boy wrote:Thanks guys!

Honestly I don't think you should listen to people who would recommend some sort of hardmode hack for a first playthrough. Just like with the translation, complaints about difficulty are hilariously exaggerated by self-professed hardcore gamers.
Also by people that have all the quirks memorized. just because I know the easy way to beat Doomgaze doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

And recommending a patch to give the final boss an auto 9999 on the entire party as reasonable is just crazy. That's not hard, it's sadistic. 100% hit party wipes are not cool.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I should've clarified that you should play FF6 original first and THEN the Nova hack. It's HARD. For a first playthrough, I recommend the RPGOne translation of the actual Japanese ROM; I downloaded a bug fixed version where vanish/death doesn't work, you can't auto level at a certain river etc. It's totally uncensored but the goofy Ted Woolsey shit has been taken out; I just find it to be a better experience since it's FF6 how it was meant to be played in its uncensored glory. It's my 2nd favorite game of all time, Chrono Trigger being #1. I've posted this several times but the best version of CT imo is Doctor L's retranslation; it fixes the awkwardness of the Chrono Compendium hack.

Also Gil, I actually like that the final boss can completely exterminate you; he/she(don't wanna spoil) is supposed to be ridiculously powerful story-wise and I'm usually able to win the fight with Life3/Reraise. Have megalixers, a blue mage with Big guard on hand as well as X-magic; Genji Glove/Offering does help but its physical defense is very high in the Nova hack so magic is the way to go. If you use the GG/Offering combo, equip the Ultima Weapon on one of your hands if you have high HP. It also has a final attack(Goner/Supernova) right before it dies that will do 9999 to everyone so have Life 3 on everyone before you finish the fight. Be at least level 75, 80+ recommended.(This is ONLY for the Nova hack)

In the original FF6, try not to be too over-leveled for the final dungeon and you should at least get a decent challenge. Level 45 or so is good. Also, do not choose the sword and wait for a certain person. You'll understand that advice once you play the game. The story is fantastic so I'm trying my best to leave spoilers out.

EDIT: My main beef with the GBA version even with the sound/color fixes is all the slowdown during spell animations. The new translation and portraits are decent but it's kind of a rushed port with all the slowdown. SNES version all the way. Again, sorry for not clarifying that you should beat the original before playing the ridiculously hard Nova hack. The original US version is censored to shit so imo the RPGOne hack of the JP ROM is vastly superior. It feels like it was professionally done.

When I talked about the Nova hack, I was saying it was my personal preference because I found the original to be too easy, plus there are optional super bosses. You have to do a lot of level grinding but the boss fights are fucking epic. The translation is somewhat modifed but the RPGOne translation of the original is the best one I've ever experienced; I've played FF6 10+ times since late 1994. Only play Nova if you know the original FF6 inside and out; I should've made that clear in my last post.