Moved ZSNES to new comp and saves/saved states not working

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Alex K

Moved ZSNES to new comp and saves/saved states not working

Post by Alex K »

Hi guys,

Having some issues with my saves and saved states and I was hoping for a little help.

Quick backstory: ZSNES has been my preferred emulator for many, many years and I've collected a good deal of saves and saved states on my games. Recently, my PC laptop's hard drive failed but was lucky enough to have my data recovered. I went from PC to Mac and, having downloaded a compatible ZSNES application, can't seem to recover my saves.

The games with "battery pack" saves are now all gone and my saved states won't load. Im hesitant to play and make new saves for chance of overriding any existing save that could be recovered. I feel like the save data is in there somewhere, I just can't figure out how to get it to be read. I'm also noting that I've moved my ZSNES emulator and rom collection from PC to PC with no issues.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you may offer.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Moved ZSNES to new comp and saves/saved states not worki

Post by odditude »

what's your save path defined as?

by default, i'd expect it to be somewhere in ~/.zsnes
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Alex K

Post by Alex K »

Hi and thanks for the response,

I never had to define paths with ZSNES with my previous computers, so Ive left it untouched, not wanting to screw things up by tinkering with stuff and all. I did try though eventually. in the Paths menu, the field was blank. I entered the path to where the folder currently is (the SNES file on my desktop) but it didn't seem to change anything.

my roms are kept in one big folder with subcategories, so all the saves are in whichever folder the rom is in. Is there anything else I should also mention?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

run a game you don't care about, save a state.

search your machine for the savestate you just created (again, it'll likely be somewhere in ~./zsnes).

copy all of your other saves there.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Alex K

Post by Alex K »

That seems to have worked. I made a path that was to a "saves" folder, started a game, and it deposited an .SRM file there. I copied one from a different game then placed it there, and it read it.

How I had it before was whatever folder the rom was in, its .SRM ended up in there, along with save states. I still have to sort those out, but at least I have some direction now. It'll also take some work to move all those .SRM files to one save folder but its no big deal.

Thanks!
Alex K

Post by Alex K »

quick follow-up: going through and putting the saved state files in the "saves" folder cleared up that issue, for anyone who might be having the same issue. Thanks again for the help!