Movie Dumping settings

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Marscaleb

Movie Dumping settings

Post by Marscaleb »

First of all, I am told that for sound I need a particular LAME program to run in windows, but every link I can find for it is broken.

But I can record audio through other means if I really need it. What I really want some information on is the settings for dumping the video.

Of the encoding options that come with the program, the only thing I can actually play is the Xvid codec, but my video editing software can't read those, making it useless to me.
How can I set up new options for video formats/codecs to use? I have a HuffyUV codec that would work great, but even something more standard like mpeg or even uncompressed AVI would be more useful to me.

I have never worked with mencoder or mplayer before, so I have no idea where to begin.

The next thing I'd like to set are options for the video itself. When I made a video file, it was a 256 pixel wide capture of the source game. I would like to be able to render out footage using the scaling settings I have set within ZSNES. For this immediate project I actually want a pixilated image (no filtering) rendered to a much higher resolution. If I use the native resolution my editing software will blur the footage to scale it to a high resolution. I want to retain the sharp pixelated look for this video, so I want to record a high-resolution video with no scaling/smoothing effects.

And in the future I may very easily want to record footage with some smoothing effects, so I want to know how to achieve this.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Movie Dumping settings

Post by paulguy »

I think -sws 3 -vf scale=1024,896

Not 100% what software scaler mode is nearest but you can look up the mencoder man page. Although the one zsnes requires is like a million years old so I have no idea. Also might want to check out -ovc and maybe lavcopts. Again, I have no idea what that ancient mencoder has available.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Thank you, but how do I use that line of text? I see no option in ZSNES to add command-line arguments, and I can find no documentation for the config file.
And honestly I don't know what I could get from knowing how to change settings within mencoder; it is ZSNES that is launching that program and sending it the video data, is it not? Short of rebuilding the program from code, the only way I can see to change these settings is to alter the zmovie.cfg file, as that is the only place I can suppose to have any way to customize the "custom" option. All the dumping settings within ZSNES are pretty limited.

I'd really like to get this work; using a screen capture program results in dropping frames, and my video capture device only works with SD footage. Capturing directly from ZSNES lets the video slow down to capture each frame correctly.

EDIT:
I'm staring at the config file. I've never seen any code like this before, but I'm guessing that the semicolon is to designate comments, and basically everything not a comment is defining a variable, and it looks like when a variable uses another variable it requires a cashdollar sign to be prefixed to it. I'm also guessing that ZSNES is only actually calling some of the variables, which are actually the ones that call the other variables. And the content of these other variables seem to be command-line arguments for mencoder and/or LAME.
So basically, I need to read up on mencoder's commands, and figure out what variables I need to insert my custom commands into.
You know, some information like this could have saved me a few days, assuming I'm even on the right track now. (And honestly, I don't quite see why these options couldn't be built into the ZSNES interface.)
Last edited by Marscaleb on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Marscaleb wrote: alter the zmovie.cfg file,
As far as I know, that's how you do it.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Everything I have tried to change the resolution of the video has resulted in the file being unplayable.
Whenever I try to have the custom mode use my huffyUV codec, the mencoder never even runs.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, or if ZSNES is even allowing for the options I am trying to set.
knoppixlivekiller

Post by knoppixlivekiller »

Where is the finished video stored at?
knoppixlivekiller

Post by knoppixlivekiller »

After the video is dumped and mplayer, lame are done where is the finished video saved at?

http://i68.tinypic.com/2eaun0i.jpg