4:3 in fullscreen mode? Also resolution crash

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Talon19892

4:3 in fullscreen mode? Also resolution crash

Post by Talon19892 »

I'm fairly new to the emulation thing, so excuse me if this is a ridiculous question but I can't find an answer for my question.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with a widescreen 16:9 monitor, and I'm trying to get the game to display in a 4:3 aspect ratio in fullscreen and I can't seem to find any way to do this in the emulator's settings. I have seen an option that says 'Use 4:3 Ratio' in this thread, but it doesn't show up for me even in a custom resolution: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14252

When I go to the filters tab in any resolution it looks like this:

I have even gone into zsnesw.cfg and changed the 'Keep4_3Ratio' variable to =1 to no avail. Is 4:3 in fullscreen not possible with this emulator?

As for the resolution problem I can't set the fullscreen resolution any higher than 1024x768 or I get this error: "IDirectDraw7::SetDisplayMode failed. Make sure your video crad supports this mode." Given that my desktop resolution is 1600x900 and my video card displays that fine I don't think that's the issue. Is this a bug or is there a way for me to get a higher resolution in fullscreen?

P.S. I saw in the other thread that there was some debate over whether 4:3 or 8:7 was better or more accurate. I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just trying to have a question answered, so I would be very appreciative if we could avoid that debate.
Francis64
Lurker

Re: 4:3 in fullscreen mode? Also resolution crash

Post by Francis64 »

The Use 4:3 ratio option only appears when you are using a video mode that isn't 4:3

It's your graphics card or your monitor that are scaling the image to 16:9.

Try to search your graphics card control panel for a scaling option and turn it off.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

also, install the latest DirectX runtime.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Talon19892

Post by Talon19892 »

Unfortunately my monitor is connected via a VGA cable and from what I'm reading one of the limitations is that there is no control over scaling options, so I can't do anything about that unless I buy myself an HDMI to DVI cable, which is certainly an option. However you said the 4:3 option only shows up in a resolution that isn't already 4:3, which is another option if I could get a fullscreen resolution that is not in 4:3. Unfortunately I get the same crash as I do if I pick a higher resolution than 1024x768, even in custom resolutions that are lower than that.

Also unfortunately, I seem to already have the latest DirectX runtime, so that isn't what's causing the issue.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

what's the native resolution of your monitor? what graphics adapter do you have?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Talon19892

Post by Talon19892 »

Sorry I took so long to respond.

My native resolution is 1600x900. My graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6620G. It's worth noting that I'm using a laptop and have a monitor connected to it via VGA cable.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Theoretically what should work is if you set the resolution in zsnes to match your native resolution. So you set the custom resolution to 1600X900 then click the Use 4:3 ratio option(if it appears) and everything should work fine. Theoretically.