ZSNES pixelated

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Lurker15

ZSNES pixelated

Post by Lurker15 »

I'm using ZSNES with 520x448 R W (the default resolution) on my computer, and it looks blocky (not blurred) and apparently the same as 520x448 DR W. This also happens with desmume.

I'm using Windows 8, and i just checked it into other PC (also Windows 8.) and it's blurry as it is supposed to be.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: ZSNES pixelated

Post by grinvader »

Do you have the same video drivers on both computers ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I have problems with ZSNES on Windows 8 too; try 640x480 DR F with HQ 2x; it's the only mode that seems to work for me in FS without tons of slowdown. 9x works just fine, but ZSNES is either crippled by Win8 or my graphics card/drivers. Any emu with DX9+ works perfectly, especially desmunex64 with lots of graphical filter enhancements.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new ZSNES will be like in the next few years. 9x is a great emulator and is my main SNES emu right now, but I grew up with ZSNES playing FF5 when it first got translated in the late 90s. I love how the fan translated FF5 on emulators is vastly superior to the shitty FF anthology release on the PS1. The loading makes it unbearable to play while the emulated SNES version runs smooth as silk.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:I have problems with ZSNES on Windows 8 too; try 640x480 DR F with HQ 2x; it's the only mode that seems to work for me in FS without tons of slowdown. 9x works just fine, but ZSNES is either crippled by Win8 or my graphics card/drivers. Any emu with DX9+ works perfectly, especially desmunex64 with lots of graphical filter enhancements.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new ZSNES will be like in the next few years. 9x is a great emulator and is my main SNES emu right now, but I grew up with ZSNES playing FF5 when it first got translated in the late 90s. I love how the fan translated FF5 on emulators is vastly superior to the shitty FF anthology release on the PS1. The loading makes it unbearable to play while the emulated SNES version runs smooth as silk.

The Snes version is indeed superior, irrespective of the PSX version FMVs, Engrish translation and long loading times (And "Y Burn" instead of "Wyvern" WTF ROFL). As for the graphics pixelation, it could be how Windows 8 handles the APIs differently than how 7 handled them. I know that 7 dropped DirectDraw support, so that can't be an issue, what GPU do you have?
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

nintendo_nerd wrote:As for the graphics pixelation, it could be how Windows 8 handles the APIs differently than how 7 handled them. I know that 7 dropped DirectDraw support, so that can't be an issue, what GPU do you have?
And you would be correct on this one. not too long ago, someone reported that windows 8 and ZSNES just weren't working right. turns out it was due to windows 8 not hardware accelerating DD7 features.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

adventure_of_link wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:As for the graphics pixelation, it could be how Windows 8 handles the APIs differently than how 7 handled them. I know that 7 dropped DirectDraw support, so that can't be an issue, what GPU do you have?
And you would be correct on this one. not too long ago, someone reported that windows 8 and ZSNES just weren't working right. turns out it was due to windows 8 not hardware accelerating DD7 features.
Lucky guess on my part...? :shock: I didn't even know it was reported before. I'll be damned. So what can he do to fix it, if anything at all? Snes9x I know shouldn't have those issues, but he stated his preference as Zsnes, so not really a viable option :mrgreen:
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

nintendo_nerd wrote:Lucky guess on my part...? :shock: I didn't even know it was reported before. I'll be damned. So what can he do to fix it, if anything at all? Snes9x I know shouldn't have those issues, but he stated his preference as Zsnes, so not really a viable option :mrgreen:
I have no idea for a fix (other than wait for ZSNES 2.0), but I am half-tempted to add this to the FAQ... guess I'll wait for a few more people to ask. :| We'll see.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

adventure_of_link wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Lucky guess on my part...? :shock: I didn't even know it was reported before. I'll be damned. So what can he do to fix it, if anything at all? Snes9x I know shouldn't have those issues, but he stated his preference as Zsnes, so not really a viable option :mrgreen:
I have no idea for a fix (other than wait for ZSNES 2.0), but I am half-tempted to add this to the FAQ... guess I'll wait for a few more people to ask. :| We'll see.
Yeah, Microsoft is always screwing around with things in their OSes and breaking APIs, etc. But for those who lack the patience for Zsnes, there are alternatives (RetroArch, Snes9x 1.53, etc), but many people are comfortable with what they find to be familiar and have no real motive to try other emulators, and I sure as hell aren't going to force people to change if they don't want to. :mrgreen: At least Zsnes 2.0 will emulate Super FX at the proper framerate, if you know what I mean :lol:
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

nintendo_nerd wrote: The Snes version is indeed superior, irrespective of the PSX version FMVs, Engrish translation and long loading times (And "Y Burn" instead of "Wyvern" WTF ROFL). As for the graphics pixelation, it could be how Windows 8 handles the APIs differently than how 7 handled them. I know that 7 dropped DirectDraw support, so that can't be an issue, what GPU do you have?
It's a shitty Radeon HD 7450(HP computer) that came with my budget PC. I'll eventually upgrade it, but I use my PC almost exclusively for emulation & basic web browsing. It ALMOST runs the Dolphin emulator at full speed(Xenoblade), but if I upgrade my gfx card I'll be able to run it upscaled @ full speed, same with PS2 emulation.

I haven't played FF5(Anthology version) since it first came out so I don't remember the translation errors, but Y burn? REALLY? LOL! I haven't played the GBA version much and I'm curious if you think it tops the original. I'm interested in the new content, but all the slowdown in the GBA FF ports bugs me since 4-6 run flawlessly on an SNES/emulator. FF6 Advance is the worst offender with Flare, Meteor, Ultima etc slowing the game down to a crawl and the shit sound doesn't help either.

I applied sound patches to all 3, but at least in 6 the battle sounds remain vastly inferior. I'm not sure what you think, but FF5 and 6 plus Chrono Trigger desperately need remakes(just a graphical overhaul with some extra content, don't change anything else). An FF7 remake would sell the most, but FF6 and CT are superior imo; they're absolute masterpieces. 5 is just really fucking fun with all the jobs and experimentation you can do. Took me around 10 times to finally kill Omega, but Shinryu is kind of a pushover if you equip coral rings on everyone and just rush the bastard.

EDIT: From what I've played of FF4DS, I love it but imo they changed it a little too much although I like that it's harder. If FF5-7 & CT ever get remade, I'd like the battle systems to stay exactly the same; just improve graphics and translation errors. Maybe increase boss stats/HP in FF6 and CT.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Did you REALLY just PM me every post you were about to make to bait me into wasting my fucking time on them because I thought you were trying to start a conversation instead of just hide my opinions in your PM box?

Well congratulations, it worked. I'm not retyping the parts I actually gave a damn about. It's the kind of thing that only works once, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Except this. Remakes are a sign of creative bankruptcy. I'll retype that.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Additionally, have you ever heard of Chrono Trigger DS? Graphics for the most part are the same, just a different font. There are new features in it though.
NSRT here.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote: The Snes version is indeed superior, irrespective of the PSX version FMVs, Engrish translation and long loading times (And "Y Burn" instead of "Wyvern" WTF ROFL). As for the graphics pixelation, it could be how Windows 8 handles the APIs differently than how 7 handled them. I know that 7 dropped DirectDraw support, so that can't be an issue, what GPU do you have?
It's a shitty Radeon HD 7450(HP computer) that came with my budget PC. I'll eventually upgrade it, but I use my PC almost exclusively for emulation & basic web browsing. It ALMOST runs the Dolphin emulator at full speed(Xenoblade), but if I upgrade my gfx card I'll be able to run it upscaled @ full speed, same with PS2 emulation.

I haven't played FF5(Anthology version) since it first came out so I don't remember the translation errors, but Y burn? REALLY? LOL! I haven't played the GBA version much and I'm curious if you think it tops the original. I'm interested in the new content, but all the slowdown in the GBA FF ports bugs me since 4-6 run flawlessly on an SNES/emulator. FF6 Advance is the worst offender with Flare, Meteor, Ultima etc slowing the game down to a crawl and the shit sound doesn't help either.

I applied sound patches to all 3, but at least in 6 the battle sounds remain vastly inferior. I'm not sure what you think, but FF5 and 6 plus Chrono Trigger desperately need remakes(just a graphical overhaul with some extra content, don't change anything else). An FF7 remake would sell the most, but FF6 and CT are superior imo; they're absolute masterpieces. 5 is just really fucking fun with all the jobs and experimentation you can do. Took me around 10 times to finally kill Omega, but Shinryu is kind of a pushover if you equip coral rings on everyone and just rush the bastard.

EDIT: From what I've played of FF4DS, I love it but imo they changed it a little too much although I like that it's harder. If FF5-7 & CT ever get remade, I'd like the battle systems to stay exactly the same; just improve graphics and translation errors. Maybe increase boss stats/HP in FF6 and CT.
The Final Fantasy V GBA translation is pretty solid (and this is coming from someone who owns the original Japanese version and can read it). The PSX version was bad and they even gave Farris a horrible pirate accent. Not to mention Lenna's name was mistranslated as "Reina". The FF6 GBA port also had a good translation and kept many of Woolseyisms but the game was rushed and had many framerate issues (esp during Mode 7 effects or battles with large sprites). But like adventure_of_link said, Chrono Trigger DS is a remake that did the game justice; it has a pretty good translation, extra dungeons, anime cutscenes and the sound is actually emulated pretty damn well.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Did you REALLY just PM me every post you were about to make to bait me into wasting my fucking time on them because I thought you were trying to start a conversation instead of just hide my opinions in your PM box?

Well congratulations, it worked. I'm not retyping the parts I actually gave a damn about. It's the kind of thing that only works once, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Except this. Remakes are a sign of creative bankruptcy. I'll retype that.
No. I PMed you because you're knowledgeable and I wanted your opinion. I'm not pushing any kind of agenda dude; I just wanna pick your brain a bit and talk about RPGs. I don't understand why you're being so defensive and getting all offended because I wanted to start a conversation; calm down. I totally disagree with your sentiment about remakes because some of the best games of all time are VERY dated and if done respectfully, remakes can really enhance older games.

The Chrono Resurrection project looked GORGEOUS, and if it had come out with the same story & gameplay, it would've been fucking awesome. Many people want an FF7 remake badly since it's a lot of peoples' first FF and it has aged TERRIBLY. Humans are superficial, and it's hard to deny that a respectful remake could make a game even better, especially if new side content is added.

Xenogears is another excellent example of a game that needs remaking because the 2nd disc is obviously incomplete, and it would be awesome to be able to play everything that happens on the 2nd disc instead of just reading about it.

If it's a lazy, disrespectful remake I'm with you, but well done, heartfelt remakes have a lot of potential. FF4DS and the Dragon Quest DS remakes(Japan got some PS2 remakes) are good examples. FF4DS changed a bit too much, but it's a damn good game from what I've played so far. Imagine FF4DS on more powerful hardware; it would be incredible. I'm not hiding anything Gil, chill out.
adventure_of_link wrote:Additionally, have you ever heard of Chrono Trigger DS? Graphics for the most part are the same, just a different font. There are new features in it though.
Played it and beat it. I really enjoy the new translation, but I prefer the Doctor L hack's RT. The new content is pretty cool as well, but SE shutting the CR project down and basically just porting the game to the DS left a bad taste in my mouth. I have really bad vision even with glasses, so I used Desmume. If SE announced a Resurrection-style remake, I'd be incredibly hyped but also worried they'd fuck it up. FF7 actually needs a remake more than CT, because CT has at least aged well due to its beautiful sprites. I just love CT and REALLY want to see it respectfully remade on an HD console or 3DS/Vita. A new Chrono game would be just as awesome.

Nintendo nerd, thanks for the info on FFVA. When I eventually replay that game, I'll use that version because of all the extra content. Knowing Japanese must be pretty cool for gaming related stuff because you can play Japan-only games like Type-0. Have you played that, nerd? If so I'd love to hear your opinion of it.

various edits: typos/added replies
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Yuber wrote:FF4DS changed a bit too much, but it's a damn good game from what I've played so far. Imagine FF4DS on more powerful hardware; it would be incredible. I'm not hiding anything Gil, chill out.
Try playing FF4 (the actual app) on a Galaxy S4 or HTC One or some other smartphone released this year.

FF4 DS on more powerful hardware :D (and hell, if my Evo 3D didn't bite the dust, it would be still be more powerful than a DS, that's for sure.)
Yuber wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Additionally, have you ever heard of Chrono Trigger DS? Graphics for the most part are the same, just a different font. There are new features in it though.
Played it and beat it. I really enjoy the new translation, but I prefer the Doctor L hack's RT. The new content is pretty cool as well, but SE shutting the CR project down and basically just porting the game to the DS left a bad taste in my mouth. I have really bad vision even with glasses, so I used Desmume. If SE announced a Resurrection-style remake, I'd be incredibly hyped but also worried they'd fuck it up. FF7 actually needs a remake more than CT, because CT has at least aged well due to its beautiful sprites. I just love CT and REALLY want to see it respectfully remade on an HD console or 3DS/Vita. A new Chrono game would be just as awesome.
Well you gotta consider, the Chrono Resurrection was a 3rd party fan project, and there was major copyright infringement going on. Hence, C&D letter from SE.
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I know the CR project was a HUGE copyright issue, but I really wish they would've completed it before releasing any info. Watching Resurrection get shut down followed by a simple port of CT with some extra content on the DS is what really pissed me off. If you're gonna shut down an awesome looking remake like that, at least have something equally spectacular to counter it, not a fucking port. The Wii would've been a perfect system back then for a remake on the level of CR since it would've cost SE a lot less than a full HD remake. I personally hate motion controls, but it could've been like Xenoblade where you could use motion or the classic pad.

In short, the laziness of the DS port following the cease & desist order on CR really rubbed me the wrong way. Releasing a piece of shit like FF13 and 2 sequels to it certainly didn't improve my opinion of SE after that debacle.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Square has done stupid things - shutting down CR was not one of them.

Anyone who thinks they can just take any IP they like and make games with it, deserves any lawsuits they get.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

True, but if you're gonna re-release a masterpiece like CT, at least remake it with beautiful graphics that fully capture the vision of the original, which is what the CR project was trying to do. I'm not arguing over the legal issues, as it was clearly illegal for the CR team to remake CT, but SE could've at least countered them with an even more spectacular remake of CT. CT SNES still holds up pretty damn well graphically, but imagine Zeal in a CR style remake but in full HD with a LOT more polygons; it would be absolutely breathtaking.

I want SE to primarily do remakes now simply because I have no faith in their new games. They're already discussing FFXV sequels, so it'll probably be another FF13. I'd love to be proven wrong, but Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and tons of other talent that OG Square had are long gone. They can do remakes though, with FF4DS and the DQ remakes being perfect examples. Even if it's just PS3/360, an HD CT remake that doesn't mess with its mechanics would be amazing, and a perfect way to introduce younger people to one of Squaresoft's true masterpieces.

Even a 3DS remake would be amazing, but CT deserves an HD remake. Obviously an FF7 remake would make them billions if done well, so they could remake FF7 followed by FF6 & CT.