Crono Trigger- The Time Egg

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

adnan1277

Crono Trigger- The Time Egg

Post by adnan1277 »

I was stuck so i looked up where i was supposed to go in crono trigger...and i found at that i was already going to the right place and it was Keepers Dome...But the problem is that Belthasar is inside the room not outside of Epoch room...Is it a bug?? Because right now i have two Epoch, one that was remodeled by Doltan and the other one inside. When i try the Epoch inside Epoch room, my game goes black and the only thing i hear is Epochs moving sound....Can someone help :P?? Or does anyone have a save file i can use?? :D
Yuber
Trooper

Re: Crono Trigger- The Time Egg

Post by Yuber »

Here's an archive of ZSNES save states for a bunch of games, including CT.

If you're using 9x, I can't help you since I just started a new game in CT and my latest SS is after the Yakra fight. There are lots of other sites to DL save states, and in case you're inexperienced you have to edit the SS files' names to match the name of your ROM. CT is the best game of all time imo, hope this helps man.

EDIT: 2 Epochs? I've never encountered that bug and while it must suck balls for you, it's pretty interesting from a bug standpoint. I have absolutely no idea what could've caused that. Are you using any cheats?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Sounds like something is screwed up in the game. I don't know how you managed to get two Epochs, but if the game is played normally, that should not happen.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Could you post NSRT output of your chrono trigger ROM? Or the CRC32 number is fine too.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

Don't worry, this is a known glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXuFWV9Zvg
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Francis64 wrote:Don't worry, this is a known glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXuFWV9Zvg
Damn, that's some weird ass shit. It'd be cool(but pointless) to be able to continue the story with 2 Epochs.

Off topic, but I still prefer the SNES version of this game both on a real SNES and emulated because you can't hook the DS up to a TV like you can with the PSP. Plus, the Doctor L retranslation is absolutely wonderful. I know I mention that REALLY often but I can't express how much I recommend giving that hack a shot. I hate censorship with a passion and that's the best RT available; it totally uncensors the game. Seeing Zeal for the first time as a kid is still one of my favorite gaming memories.

I love how in the RT the Mammon Machine is called the "Demonic Vessel"(I've heard it's called the "Majinki" in the JP version). Doesn't that literally translate into Demon Energy or something? The uncensoring of the religious references in the RT I mentioned adds an extra wrinkle to the experience, and it feels professional unlike the Compendium hack that it uses as a base.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: I love how in the RT the Mammon Machine is called the "Demonic Vessel"(I've heard it's called the "Majinki" in the JP version). Doesn't that literally translate into Demon Energy or something? The uncensoring of the religious references in the RT I mentioned adds an extra wrinkle to the experience, and it feels professional unlike the Compendium hack that it uses as a base.
"Mammon, in the New Testament of the Bible, is material wealth or greed, most often personified as a deity, and sometimes included in the seven princes of Hell. "

Uncensored. Right. The game where Gaspar, Balthazar, and Melchior give the young savior (who is destined to die and then come back) valuable gifts has had it's religious references censored.

The DS version may be more ACCURATE, as the SNES name has connotations that the original does not carry, but the religious reference was MORE explicit in the original translation.

If anything, the SNES translation is so busy ADDING religious references that it's a miracle they didn't rename the main character to Jesus(which I may do in my next run, just for laughs).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

There's also the fact Christno has heaven=sky-elemental alignment.

Only lacking a cross for extra realistic Luminaire salvation.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Didn't know about Mammon, but the 3 Magi is a pretty cool addition. You do have a point & got me on the religious references, but I'm just really picky about censorship and prefer to play a game as it was originally intended. The hack I mentioned takes the CC hack, modifies/localizes it, corrects spelling & grammatical errors, and makes the dialogue flow naturally unlike the fairly awkward feeling of the CC hack. Even though the original translation of CT was pretty good, I think the dialogue of the hack retains all the charm of the US SNES trans. and is absolutely superior to both the original Woolsey translation and the DS RT.

The RPGone hack of FF6 is very roughly done(still enjoy playing FF6 with a new interpretation), but the Doctor L CT hack is just as good as the J2e translation of FF4j imo, and the dialogue feels more natural than the original. Why was Sara's name changed to Schala? If Sara is accurate, I feel that it's a better, less confusing name to pronounce. As always, it's a taste/stylistic thing and it's hard to deny that the hack in question is quality. I've played the original many times and it's refreshing to play a translation that I feel is superior and less censored as a whole.

Vader, Chrono's affinity in the CC hack is "Sky" while the Doctor L hack is "Heaven". Considering the story, Heaven is more appropriate imo. Maybe Woolsey added all the extra religious references to mock Nintendo's censorship policies? Considering his quirky dialogue that wouldn't be surprising at all, and if true, respect.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Why was Sara's name changed to Schala? If Sara is accurate, I feel that it's a better, less confusing name to pronounce.
If I had to bet, the Japanese chose Sara because it sounded exotic and foreign. Needless to say, that doesn't work in America. Hence Schala. It's close to the original name, but the foreign feel is restored. (I really like how Schala sounds, but that's neither here nor there.)

Same reason Tina became Terra in FF3US.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

tbh I have no fucking idea how you're supposed to pronounce Schala. As far as the mysterious vibe goes, I think her character design and abilities get the job done without the weird name. Also I just like the name Sara for some reason.

Even though I don't see Cross as a "proper" sequel to CT, especially since it's incomplete without Magus' presence/story, I still had a lot of fun with it as its own game. I always name Kid Sara for obvious reasons; the hair change and Aussie accent are hilarious. Not sure how she actually talks in the Japanese version, but she really threw me off. What confused me most about CC was hearing Magus' name mentioned in a certain letter during my first playthrough and having no idea what the hell was going on; I thought I had missed something big. Nope, just Guile being an incomplete placeholder! If his level 7 tech was called "SUNIC UPOOHA!" I'd be fine with it.

I know your opinion on remakes but I'd actually be more worried about SE fucking up a legit sequel. The source material for CT already exists, so they'd just have to redo the graphics in 3d/HD 2d and maybe keep the additional DS content in there. I'd still be really excited for a new Chrono game though. It's an IP just waiting to be revived, and a damn good one with infinite potential. CC felt more like Radical Dreamers than CT, and a well done new entry would make a ton of people happy. The absence of Sakaguchi & Uematsu makes me sad though.

With direct sequels to FFXV already being planned, I have little faith in SE making a game even near the quality of CT or the SNES-PS1 FF games. I'd love a pleasant surprise though. IMO, remakes are only creative bankruptcy if they're done in a lazy, disrespectful way. FF4DS & the DQ DS remakes prove SE can get it right.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:Even though I don't see Cross as a "proper" sequel to CT
Hard to talk about proper sequels to a game involving heavy time travel. ¬_¬
Tying loose ends generated in alternate universes because of what the CT protagonists did is as sequel-y as it comes, given that context.
Nope, just Guile being an incomplete placeholder!
Scrapped != incomplete. He's complete regarding backstory and everything, but they just couldn't find a way to build anything good from that in the game, so they just dropped it.
Like a pimp in its crib.
I'd love a pleasant surprise though.
Except SE will be focused on low-budget micropayment games for years onwards to rise from the abyssal fuckhole they drilled themselves into. Just drink a shot for old times' sake and move on. Their creative staff went elsewhere, and that's where you want to throw your money at right now.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yuber wrote:Maybe Woolsey added all the extra religious references to mock Nintendo's censorship policies? Considering his quirky dialogue that wouldn't be surprising at all, and if true, respect.
I'm not sure if the newly established (at the time of CT's SNES release, mind you) ESRB would have a bearing on things, but maybe that's why Woolsey was allowed to slide on religion and troll Nintendo over it?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Yuber wrote:Maybe Woolsey added all the extra religious references to mock Nintendo's censorship policies? Considering his quirky dialogue that wouldn't be surprising at all, and if true, respect.
I'm not sure if the newly established (at the time of CT's SNES release, mind you) ESRB would have a bearing on things, but maybe that's why Woolsey was allowed to slide on religion and troll Nintendo over it?
Pretty sure Nintendo's policies didn't change as a result of the ESRB.
They DID let up a lot on violent games after the Mortal Kombat fiasco(as if the real problem wasn't that the SNES port played terribly), but as far as I know, they never really backed off on religion. CT is more likely a case of someone being asleep at the wheel than reflective of Nintendo's policies at the time.
Yuber wrote:tbh I have no fucking idea how you're supposed to pronounce Schala. As far as the mysterious vibe goes, I think her character design and abilities get the job done without the weird name. Also I just like the name Sara for some reason.
I took my best guess on the pronunciation years ago, and don't really care if I got it wrong. :P

Anyways, that's just my guess. Like I said, I suspect she was supposed to have an "exotic" name, and it was "tweaked" to keep the feel. Which is different than just looking exotic(and personally, I felt she was the most normal person IN Zeal.)
It's kind of like if First-name-unpronouncable Spock had been named John Smith. He's still the same precise, logical "pointy-eared bastard", but his name no longer matches that image.

It's a difficult call, really. Do you keep the original name, or a name that conveys the same impressions and meaning? Which parts do you give preference to when you can't convey everything?
What the right call is varies from work to work.
Even though I don't see Cross as a "proper" sequel to CT, especially since it's incomplete without Magus' presence/story, I still had a lot of fun with it as its own game. I always name Kid Sara for obvious reasons; the hair change and Aussie accent are hilarious.
I always thought it was hilarious that they prevent you giving Serge the name Crono, and proceed to block a rather exhaustive list of variants of the name too, but they don't have a blacklist on names that are ACTUALLY USED in the game.

As far as the hair change, my understanding is that actually ties back to something that WAS omitted from the US translation(note I do not say censored, merely omitted).
What I was told, back when the game was new and I was making jokes about kid having "purple roots", is that there's a blurb in the J Chrono Trigger script about how the folks in Zeal Kingdom dye their hair, to differentiate themselves from those poor schmucks on the surface that can't use magic. So from that, it stands to reason that Schala and Kid is/are a natural blonde.
I know your opinion on remakes but I'd actually be more worried about SE fucking up a legit sequel. The source material for CT already exists, so they'd just have to redo the graphics in 3d/HD 2d and maybe keep the additional DS content in there.
Just because the source material already exists doesn't mean they can't fuck it up. I'm a long-suffering Lunar fan, so I know.

Silver Star Story is a blasphemy before Althena, and with every successive release Game Arts manages to dig that hole a little deeper. A situation made that much worse since The Silver Star was a fairly rough game to start with, and actually COULD have benefited from a more polished release. But if they're going to rewrite it, missing the entire point of the game, and gut the gameplay while they're at it, then as far as I'm concerned the series died with Studio Alex.

Other examples:
GameBoy Color Crystalis. Dammit, Nintendo! You don't rewrite one of the best action-RPGs ever made to be a video game about how evil technology is! That's a dumb message for the medium in the first place!
And while yes, I wanted to kill something more than the final boss with the title sword, that was because it was an incredibly awesome blade that had to have the entire final boss fight special-cased to even work within the NES' constraints, not because it was a significant downgrade from the sword of thunder it replaced!

PSP Megaman X shuffles item locations around, apparently just to make everyone download a new FAQ since the maps are all the same. Some weapon behaviors were also changed, which serves no real purpose other than to make portions of Sigma's Fortress much more difficult since the map wasn't similarly adjusted(charged storm tornado was incredibly useful for clearing tight vertical passages when it radiated vertically out from X, and far less so once it lobbed a grenade forward that erupted upwards on landing). The fact that the X-Buster and Z-Buster are now DIFFERENT weapons is a nice touch, but overall the game just inspires a desire to play the SNES version instead.

And these are remakes where someone CARED.

I'd still be really excited for a new Chrono game though. It's an IP just waiting to be revived, and a damn good one with infinite potential. CC felt more like Radical Dreamers than CT, and a well done new entry would make a ton of people happy.
Two words: Third Birthday. I wanted a new Parasite Eve game right up until it actually happened.
SquareEnix is not to be trusted. Under any circumstances.

IMO, remakes are only creative bankruptcy if they're done in a lazy, disrespectful way. FF4DS & the DQ DS remakes prove SE can get it right.
Look at it this way: Any time a company opts to do a remake, it means they have actively decided that they do not have any new ideas worth showing to anyone and retreading ground they've already covered is a better use of their manpower than creating a new work.

Whether it's a lazy remake, a disrespectful remake, or an obsessively meticulous remake, that doesn't change.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Look at it this way: Any time a company opts to do a remake, it means they have actively decided that they do not have any new ideas worth showing to anyone and retreading ground they've already covered is a better use of their manpower than creating a new work.

Whether it's a lazy remake, a disrespectful remake, or an obsessively meticulous remake, that doesn't change.
Idunno man, the RE1 Remake was pretty much the best thing ever, and just on its own merits, I would've gladly taken it over almost any new game no matter how great the idea. Though granted this is the only remake that I know I could say that about.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:only remake that I know I could say that about.
The ToP remake (on psx, the gba thing never happened) is excellent, and it adds some decent new content (all the skits, and pretty much everything involving Suzu).

But gotta agree with the fact it's a cheaper investment than a whole new game.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I'm going to guess that the REmake cost more than a lot of new games would have, considering there was barely anything left of the original except the basic idea. I have counted exactly 0 puzzles left over, they were all new or merely inspired by what they used to be. All-new gameplay mechanics, new enemies, new bosses, even the map layout had a large number of new sections built around the base skeleton of the original map (even a new third floor). And the way they played with your expectations from having played the PSX version (the dogs through the window thing for example) was just brilliant. Not to mention the graphics, which were unrecognizable in all but concept.

This never felt to me like a remake that they did just because it was cheaper or because they wanted to just have the same game with HD graphics. Shinji Mikami was clearly inspired to start over from scratch, and had a ton of new ideas.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil, you have some good points(I haven't played much of Lunar and none of Chrystalis) but SE has shown that they can do remakes, and I frankly have almost ZERO faith in them creating a new IP or continuing the Chrono or other series without fucking everything up. Their recent work has been so shitty that I'd rather just see them remake classics than be disappointed by terrible new games. They've at least shown that they are capable of remakes with FF4DS and the DQ remakes. I actually haven't played any of the Parasite Eve games(need to) OR 3rd BD.

FF4DS is a re-imagining and they still didn't fuck that one up, at least imo. If they ever do remake FF6, 7, and CT, I'd prefer it if they kept the battle systems and everything the same and just redo the graphics/fix translation errors. Maybe tweak some things but don't totally redo the battle systems. Xenogears needs a remake because the 2nd disc is incomplete, but I'd like to see Monolith acquire the rights to it since I think they'd do a much better job than SE.

The info about Zeal's people dying their hair is pretty cool and makes Sara in CC make more sense, and trying to make themselves look like a different race makes sense considering the awful class divide. I've always pronounced Schala "Shah-luh", but exotic appeal aside I just like the name Sara a lot more.

Part of me wants to see SE go under just so a more competent company could acquire their IPs. I'd love for them to make a comeback, but they're already discussing FFXV sequels so it's not looking good. I'll always hate direct sequels to FF games. How about making a complete game with a good story and moving on to the next? Seeing nothing but FF13 sequels in regards to that franchise over the last few years has really sucked. I'm curious about Type-0, but it doesn't look like it'll ever get localized.

This post may read a little weird because I restructured it completely due to it being way too long before the edit. As far as the Lunar games go, are the SCD versions still the best in your opinion? I know absolutely nothing about that series and have only played them briefly to test out certain emus.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:Chrystalis
Crystal doesn't have an h.
I actually haven't played any of the Parasite Eve games(need to) OR 3rd BD.
PE1 got out in the era where squaresoft meant good. JB will object that the battle engine sucks (move whenever but only act when ATB gauge fills) but I prefer it over the clunky RE controls of the second game. Plus the plot and rpg elements are better.
PE2 followed RE's choices of horror survival but didn't keep the awesome stuff that made the first game fun (c'mon, liberate bitch).
3rd shower is complete mindfuck fps with the PE characters jammed in for more nerd appeal.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
I actually haven't played any of the Parasite Eve games(need to) OR 3rd BD.
PE1 got out in the era where squaresoft meant good. JB will object that the battle engine sucks (move whenever but only act when ATB gauge fills) but I prefer it over the clunky RE controls of the second game. Plus the plot and rpg elements are better.
It doesn't suck, it just doesn't make a lot of SENSE. Which only bothers me because it's a real-world setting with real-world weapons and armor.

Which is why I dislike the weapon customization system too.
A 900-round exploding tranq-dart shotgun pistol is cool. I grant that. But the Desert Eagle .50AE is not a 900-round exploding tranq-dart shotpistol, and if it had a 900-round magazine, it'd be as tall as Sepiroth's Katana of +5 Stupid.
PE2 followed RE's choices of horror survival but didn't keep the awesome stuff that made the first game fun (c'mon, liberate bitch).
A. Liberate happens. It's only in one cutscene, but it happens.
B. Based on the first game's endings, it's probably not a good idea for it to happen very often. Aya's mitochondria are KIND OF asshole-ish.

Yuber wrote: Part of me wants to see SE go under just so a more competent company could acquire their IPs. I'd love for them to make a comeback, but they're already discussing FFXV sequels so it's not looking good. I'll always hate direct sequels to FF games. How about making a complete game with a good story and moving on to the next? Seeing nothing but FF13 sequels in regards to that franchise over the last few years has really sucked. I'm curious about Type-0, but it doesn't look like it'll ever get localized.
I'd rather see them die and NOT get picked up by someone else who wants to whore them out.
It's similar to how I don't pay attention to most Capcom sequels now that everyone responsible for making the originals is gone.

In Final Fantasy's case, the name is LITERALLY just a brand that can be applied to anything.
That name doesn't MEAN anything. There's no common themes across the franchise, no major gameplay features(and if there are, they're painfully dated), no shared setting.
Hell, there's not even a guarantee it will be a fantasy game, thanks to Cloud and Squall.
It's carte blanche to phone it in because the game will sell no matter what, just on the name.

Even if SquareEnix DOESN'T die, Final Fantasy needs to.
The franchise is nothing more than an excuse for the company to rest on it's laurels, and that easy sell is holding them back.

I don't really believe the world needs a new Chrono Trigger, though. The game is complete, anything more is just an excuse to leech off it's success. At this point, I would actually be mad if another Chrono game was announced.

And sometimes a sequel just undoes everything you accomplished in the original.
I LIKE Chrono Cross, but I've never really forgiven it for the whole "Guardia Kingdom falls and Lucca dies in a fire" bit.
Spoilers.
As far as the Lunar games go, are the SCD versions still the best in your opinion? I know absolutely nothing about that series and have only played them briefly to test out certain emus.
Yes. SegaCD version is the way to go.

The Silver Star remakes are all travesties that spit in Althena's face.
Which is a damn shame since gameplay-wise they're much better games, and they have much nicer cutscenes.

The Eternal Blue remake is just... not very good. And it's sad that a three-disk PlayStation game has fewer and worse FMV sequences than a single-disk SegaCD title.
Xenogears needs a remake because the 2nd disc is incomplete, but I'd like to see Monolith acquire the rights to it since I think they'd do a much better job than SE.
I GUESS that might be okay now that BandaiNamco is largely out of the picture.
The Xenosaga "trilogy" was a trainwreck, but my understanding is that was mostly down to BandaiNamco meddling to try and boost sales.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
(c'mon, liberate bitch).
A. Liberate happens. It's only in one cutscene, but it happens.
B. Based on the first game's endings, it's probably not a good idea for it to happen very often. Aya's mitochondria are KIND OF asshole-ish.
A. geh, you know what i mean. stupid cutscenes.
B. The ex ending is the canon one, despite its weird-ass pseudoscience (evolution doesn't work like that, dammit. go home eve, you're drunk. and i ate your face. twice).
The theater ending made more sense. After wrestling your way to the fucking top of the foodchain, spread and dominate, muwhahahha.
Spoilers.
<3
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yeah I misspelled Crystalis; I'm not familiar with that game/typed it fast so I made the mistake of including an H; oh well.

Gil, FF may just be a brand but if a competent company like Monolith(or anyone that actually cares about making beautiful games) acquired it, I think they'd at least try to put some heart/soul back into the series unlike SE. CT is a complete game/story, but I'd like to play a game that allows you to experience the events that lead to Cross(kinda like Crimson Echoes). However, I think a total HD remake of Trigger would be the best thing to do, because that game is a masterpiece. Playing CT in HD with a style similar to Chrono Resurrection's would be fantastic as long as they keep the battle system intact with some minor tweaks. I have no faith in SE's new games; remakes would be better imo.

Well done HD(or 3DS) remakes of FF6-7 would also be awesome. SE DID manage to remake FF4 without fucking it up, so I'd be hyped if they announced an FF6 and/or 7 remake, especially if they were full HD remakes that don't meddle with the mechanics too much. I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to FF which is why I HATED 13 and even though 12 was decent, I didn't dig the MMO style combat. Was Vaan actually created by a Japanese focus group or is that bullshit? I'd understand his design if he were FF's 1st gay protagonist, but he really doesn't need to be there in FF12. FF would be better without annoying twinks and Cloud/Squall clones.

Losing Sakaguchi & Uematsu was really catastrophic for Square, although I'm sure it's much more complicated than that. FF13 was so soulless/robotic that it felt like every idea in the game was created by a focus group. I kept playing the game hoping it would get better, but it's nothing but hallways, shitty voice acting, lame characters, and a ridiculous story. There's more story in the datalogs than in the actual cutscenes, and Lightning is the most boring protagonist in FF history. The generics in FF1 had more personality than her. XV will likely be more of the same with a million sequels, but we'll see.

IMO, FF10 is when FF started to get stale. I loved 9, but 10 felt more like a graphical showcase for the PS2 than a legit FF game, and most of Nomura's original character designs are hilariously goofy looking. 10 started the whole hyper-linear trend that lead to 13; I want my fucking world map back. JRPGs for the most part are linear(DQ has good exploration) but at least the older FF games allowed you to walk/fly around before the next story event; 10 started the "final hallway" trend. I loved the ending of 10 for obvious reasons and thankfully I didn't buy 10-2.

FF doesn't need to die, but it does need to be in more competent hands. I don't trust SE to make new games, but they have shown they can do remakes, hence my demand for them.

EDIT: All The Bravest is one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen. I haven't played it(and never will) but the whole microtransaction nonsense is sickening. I can understand why you want FF to die Gil, but I think remaking the classics could still produce some amazing results if FF4DS is any indication. As for the new FF games, I pretty much agree with you; they're gonna be complete shit. An FF7 remake, if done well, could make them BILLIONS.

Also, I think games like FF4(original), 6, 7, 9 and CT prove that you don't really need voice acting in an RPG. The way OG Square used music in their more dramatic scenes to add atmosphere eclipses anything that they've done through voice acting, imo.

EDIT2: Gil, quick ? about the Lunar games. I should play Silver Star and then Eternal Blue, right? I don't want to fuck up the chronological order of the story.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

SS is the first game, EB is the sequel.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'd say not doing a sequel or another game in the chrono series, but a game with the REALLY well done locations and gameplay would be good. No RPG I've played has better settings overall than that game both in being interesting and looking good visually/artistically. And the battle taking place with enemies actually on the map with no real transition is so much better than any other RPG. The stuff like that really is what makes it what it is.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

odditude wrote:SS is the first game, EB is the sequel.
Thought so, and I got your PM. I'll try not to derail so many threads unless it's in the spirit of the thread or it's already off the rails.
paulguy wrote:I'd say not doing a sequel or another game in the chrono series, but a game with the REALLY well done locations and gameplay would be good. No RPG I've played has better settings overall than that game both in being interesting and looking good visually/artistically. And the battle taking place with enemies actually on the map with no real transition is so much better than any other RPG. The stuff like that really is what makes it what it is.
A spiritual sequel(I think that's what you're getting at) is a great idea. Ever since I played CT, no game since has topped it in my eyes. No random battles/separate screen for fights is a big part of what makes CT so awesome, and I especially love the combo attacks even though ridiculously powerful individual techs are more efficient damage wise. A CT-style game with the same/similar art style and similar battle mechanics would be really refreshing in a cesspool of hallways & lame cutscenes. Seeing Zeal for the 1st time is one of those moments in gaming I'll never forget, and the level of detail in each era is astounding for a 4MB SNES game.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I think Chrono Trigger is the best game of all time. Nothing would make me happier gaming wise than a new game with a very similar style/battle system and of course a great story that doesn't take itself too seriously. CT is the complete package.