Surround sound?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

emagmant3

Post by emagmant3 »

i have just discoverd something.....

in order for zsnes to work with it you have to uncheck stereo sound and leave surround sound checked

god i feel stupid but as far as it clones or if its actually the game sending the channels i do not know
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

emagmant3 wrote:ok i have tried my best to figure this out and this is what i came up with

1. the surround sound option in zsnes virtually has no effect
2. the only reason why it would play on surround sound speakers is if you have enabled it on your sound card (EAX handles this for creative and there is a clone option for nvidia sound cards)
3. as far as i know.. pro logic isnt very good surround sound and it really isnt worth it but if he game has surround sound in it and allows you to use it i dont understand why the emulator cant get this RAW sound from the game and if it cant just put in a software pro logic decoder soo we will have at least a minimal excuse for surround sound.

I also monitored all the channels coming out zsnes and it appears to be all stereo.
1.) It was determined that surround sound option reverses the stereo channels.

2.+3.)
You CAN get ProLogic sound out of ZSNES already. Just pass the normal stereo output to a ProLogic receiver. It will decode the channels.

The only thing you can't do is get ProLogic to come out of your PC multi channel setup because there is nothing to decode pro logic.

It's really not ZSNES's problem to fix... It is also against the license I'm sure to add any type of Dolby Decoding to ZSNES.

ProLogic is certainly a decent type of surround sound. The newest incarnatino, Dolby ProLogic IIx, can actually take standard stereo and Pro Logic signals and get *6* channels out it! It sounds really good.

Standard Pro Logic only has left, center, right, and mono rear, but that is still quite a step up from just stereo. However, how much the games actually USE the surround effects and if it's worth it is debatable.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

Nightcrawler wrote:
emagmant3 wrote:ok i have tried my best to figure this out and this is what i came up with

2. the only reason why it would play on surround sound speakers is if you have enabled it on your sound card (EAX handles this for creative and there is a clone option for nvidia sound cards)
3. as far as i know.. pro logic isnt very good surround sound and it really isnt worth it but if he game has surround sound in it and allows you to use it i dont understand why the emulator cant get this RAW sound from the game and if it cant just put in a software pro logic decoder soo we will have at least a minimal excuse for surround sound.

I also monitored all the channels coming out zsnes and it appears to be all stereo.

2.+3.)
You CAN get ProLogic sound out of ZSNES already. Just pass the normal stereo output to a ProLogic receiver. It will decode the channels.

The only thing you can't do is get ProLogic to come out of your PC multi channel setup because there is nothing to decode pro logic.

It's really not ZSNES's problem to fix... It is also against the license I'm sure to add any type of Dolby Decoding to ZSNES.

ProLogic is certainly a decent type of surround sound. The newest incarnatino, Dolby ProLogic IIx, can actually take standard stereo and Pro Logic signals and get *6* channels out it! It sounds really good.

Standard Pro Logic only has left, center, right, and mono rear, but that is still quite a step up from just stereo. However, how much the games actually USE the surround effects and if it's worth it is debatable.
You could write a ProLogic decoder and include it in ZSNES just fine. There are plenty of open source AC3(Dolby Digital) encoders/decoders available, and ProLogic is even older.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

emagmant3 wrote:i have just discoverd something.....

in order for zsnes to work with it you have to uncheck stereo sound and leave surround sound checked

god i feel stupid but as far as it clones or if its actually the game sending the channels i do not know
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Reznor007 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:

2.+3.)

You could write a ProLogic decoder and include it in ZSNES just fine. There are plenty of open source AC3(Dolby Digital) encoders/decoders available, and ProLogic is even older.
Well Dolby Digital and ProLogic are very different beasts. You're talking analog decoding versus digital. Have you seen any open source ProLogic decoders?

Regardless, I didn't know there was open source AC3 decoders. Can you point me to one? I've always been interested in the technical details behind the decoding process and could never find any sources that went into detail because it was 'Dolby's propriatary information.'
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote: Regardless, I didn't know there was open source AC3 decoders. Can you point me to one?
I'd look at mplayer, they have a ton of decoders. Not all of them are open source though, but perhaps you might get lucky ;)
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nightcrawler wrote:Regardless, I didn't know there was open source AC3 decoders. Can you point me to one?
http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]